Cultivated Reef

Help. At a loss.

Austintylerl

Nano sapiens

WOW Nano Sapiens, huge knowledge bomb dropped! Thank you!

If I understand, yes I need to continue to do routine water changes, but to keep my softies happy I still need to feed the corals. Right?

Thank you and Mariaface!!! :D

You're welcome :) I encourage you to explore the various online sources of knowledge on the many varied topics related to our reef aquariums (Advancedaquarist.com is a great place to start).

Water changes are good for a number of reasons, but how much and how often is up for debate. They help remove dissolved organics and replace elements that may have become depleted.

Photosynthetic soft corals tend not to have efficient larger prey capture mechanisms such as we see with many hard corals, but instead sieve the water for non or weakly motile prey items, very small particles, bacteral flocks, marine snow/detritus and the like. Kicking up detritus daily is one very easy method to supply them with some nutrition as are some of the products with a creamy/hazy consistency (Oyster feast, Roti feast etc). Some people find that the food they feed their fish and stony corals, and the resulting fish waste products, are sufficient without supplemental feeding. A bit of experimentation is needed in each system to determine what works and what doesn't since no two systems are exactly alike.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived