Pod Your Reef

20 Gallons: 100 Corals ~ New Hydra!

TFish77

Wow, thats amazing Tfish! I just went through coral overload looking at those pics, ha ha! And I got a kick out you saying that you went crazy buying every coral or would work for coral!

• Like 1

Being careful and trial and error. For example if you look at the Watermelon Chalice it is missing 1/4 of its green ring from me stupidly putting a mycedium near it. Also my frogspawn really likes to pick on my Majestic Monti. Some of my chalices have much longer sweepers than others which I keep in mind during placement. I am a big proponent of pushing the limit of what is "acceptable" in a small reef. When someone tells me I can't do something I usually find a way to make it happen. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. That doesn't mean I throw corals in there and hope they make it. I am constantly monitoring the tank and documenting what corals are messing with others.

This tank has honestly gotten to the point where I am pulling more stuff out than I am putting in. I frag the shrooms, xenia, montis, and many zoas probably once a month to keep them from taking over. I am pretty sure I told myself a year ago that this tank was already full.

In regard to any potential toxins released from the chemical warfare I have never had any issues.

Oh yeah and thanks for the compliment!

but if you move the coral won't it sting other corals around it? Just wondering because I love chalice but I've heard they fight each other alot. If you move the coral will it just be happy and not sting anything around it or keep stinging corals.

3 more.... Burning Banana Montipora, Forest Fire Digitata (apparently it's just slightly different from the wildfire lol), and an sps I have subsequently forgotten the name for. Purple Plasma or something I think. Terrible pick but I am tired :happy:. They are all in really bad shape but I think I should be able to save them. The acro had a lot of tissue loss in shop and I may end up just snipping the tips off and trying to save those. Getting the dip ready now.

.....Now where to put them haha

TTq6htW.jpg

Your tank looks wonderful. I'm envious of your Montis! I've been dying to get a purple monti here, but no one would sell me one. :(

If your in DFW come and get it lol. I have fragged that purple way bag and have been giving it away. Such a fast grower.

Oh and thanks :D !

Just amazing. Can't decide which pics are best. And good for you for saving that tang!

Ha thanks. A buddy of mine said he would let me use his DSLR with a 100mm macro lens and porthole so I can actually get some good shots of my sps collection. If you would believe it every picture currently posted was taken on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I can't wait to see the shots I get with a real camera lol.

Woah, a picture of every single coral .. brilliant!! Looks amazing!

40 more incoming :D. I started to document every single coral because when I used to talk about the tank to other people nobody would believe me lol. Some are better than others so I am consistently trying to get better shots.

I'm setting up a 20 gallon soon and seeing these pictures have made me super excited knowing someone has a 20 with that many corals! Awesome setup

Good to hear!. I wish I could take more credit for this tank but I have drawn sooooo much inspiration from other people here. Can't thank everyone enough.

Wow, thats amazing Tfish! I just went through coral overload looking at those pics, ha ha! And I got a kick out you saying that you went crazy buying every coral or would work for coral!

Haha sad but true. To be honest there would be no way in hell I would be able to afford a lot of the nicer corals I currently have. I take a lot of pride in pulling corals off the bottom of other reefers tanks and restoring them to their former glory. If you would believe it I actually pulled my ORA pearlberry, my JF jack-o-lantern, my tyree ponapes, my tyree watermelon chalice, and my tyree bubble gum monster literally out of trash cans during frag fests with friends. Everyone laughed at me at the time.

Needless to say they are no longer laughing :D.

• Like 2

but if you move the coral won't it sting other corals around it? Just wondering because I love chalice but I've heard they fight each other alot. If you move the coral will it just be happy and not sting anything around it or keep stinging corals.

Potentially yes. It's just something you have to keep an eye on. For example I had a mycedium in there that had sweepers that would reach literally 2 inches and wreak havoc on anything near it. I pulled him out real fast. My BBG Monster Chalice has some pretty long sweepers but my maidens hair and watermelon chalice's have very small sweepers and don't seem to bother things near it. My goniopora will sting acans but it doesn't bother my favias. My euphelia hates my montis but it doesn't bother other euphelias or my clove polyps (some people say you can't mix euphelias but I have never had an issue).

I am really upset that I lost so many of my progression shots so I could give people a better idea of how stuff has consistently been moved around over time. For example my meteor shower used to be about 6 inches up until my Euphelias got huge and stung the hell out of it. I moved him way down and has been real happy next to my alveopora.

Also I have learned a lot through experimentation. My "rainbow" birdsnest and my ora birds of paradise have grown completely together without a problem however my ora green birdsnest seems to be stinging them both. My montis don't bother my acros and my acros all seem to play nice together. My mushrooms don't bother my zoas or xenia but they hate my sps. My favias don't seem to bother anything. I am curious to see what happens when my blastos start to hit some of sps. Etc, etc, etc lol

Jealous, inspired, amazed, etc. You may need a twelve step meeting though. Lol. Crazy tank

Honestly I think it would be cheaper for me if I had a drug problem lol.

And thank you!

• Like 1

ALWAYS DIP YOUR CORALS.

Just finished dipping my new montis that were heavily damaged only to discover why they were so heavily damaged: Montipora eating nudibranchs!

• Like 1

ALWAYS DIP YOUR CORALS.

Just finished dipping my new montis that were heavily damaged only to discover why they were so heavily damaged: Montipora eating nudibranchs!

Those things suck ass.......I picked some up years ago and it took out everything I had at the time......

Those things suck ass.......I picked some up years ago and it took out everything I had at the time......

This is why I prescribe to the "Trust but verified" approach when it comes to adding anything new to the tank. God that would have been a nightmare.

• Like 1

This is why I prescribe to the "Trust but verified" approach when it comes to adding anything new to the tank. God that would have been a nightmare.

Good that you caught that before introduction to the tank!

Luckily, I haven't had the 'pleasure' of dealing with these nasties...

ALWAYS DIP YOUR CORALS.

What do you dip with? Your tank and your pictures are amazing! Prettiest zoas i have seen. Can't believe that all fits in a 20 gallon. Did you post a FTS?

This is actually unbelievably annoying to look at on mobile- it takes about 2 minutes to load everything and during that time you can't read or reply to anything as the page keeps on moving :(

What do you dip with? Your tank and your pictures are amazing! Prettiest zoas i have seen. Can't believe that all fits in a 20 gallon. Did you post a FTS?

Sorry, somehow I missed the whole beginning of your thread-Nice FTS!

Yes I dip in Bayer now and look at things.....I have not had to deal with many pests so far and that is a good thing.

Yeah they are all on the front page!

And always Coral RX for the dip. I may have been a little hasty when I said dip everything. I always make sure to research each corals susceptibility to dips and whether or not it can potentially harm the coral. Some I just QT to make sure they don't carry any parasites.

LCL7NJM.jpg

This is actually unbelievably annoying to look at on mobile- it takes about 2 minutes to load everything and during that time you can't read or reply to anything as the page keeps on moving :(

You know I actually did notice that the other day when I was at a friends house who has a god awful internet connection. So yeah sorry for that lol. :lol:

I'm setting up a 20 gallon soon and seeing these pictures have made me super excited knowing someone has a 20 with that many corals! Awesome setup

You got a build thread going yet?

amazing tank and great documenting everything! You seem to enjoy (and do well) bringing damaged corals back to life... any tips on that? Like the torch or candy canes, did you spot feed them or what?

also you crashed my (work) computer with page 1, but it was worth it to wait 10 min for it to load again!

• Like 1

You got a build thread going yet?

I will be setting one up shortly, I'm just waiting for the black acrylic to come in. I'm building an in tank refugium and built the whole thing with clear acrylic with the plan of painting it, but decided I want to use black acrylic so I don't have to worry about paint coming off over time.

• Like 1

amazing tank and great documenting everything! You seem to enjoy (and do well) bringing damaged corals back to life... any tips on that? Like the torch or candy canes, did you spot feed them or what?

also you crashed my (work) computer with page 1, but it was worth it to wait 10 min for it to load again!

HAHA sorry. I noticed that a few people have said that and I ran into the same problem trying to load the page on a buddies computer. Maybe I got a bit overzealous with the pictures :D. Just wanted to document everything!

I will be setting one up shortly, I'm just waiting for the black acrylic to come in. I'm building an in tank refugium and built the whole thing with clear acrylic with the plan of painting it, but decided I want to use black acrylic so I don't have to worry about paint coming off over time.

Very nice. You got a link to your build thread? I would love to see how you do everything.