Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Drama's cad34/ Breeder down/ semi cube

Dramad1

Howdy, thanks for checking out the build everyone.

Some pics I just snapped for fun. I've been browsing the tank all day.

Here is a cheap lil cover I made for the sump out of thin cutting board mats. Keeps the salt spray and crepe off my dj ps and cords, easily removable and inexpensive. Needed to mod something.

20160417_135326_zpscmymwgk8.jpg

.....And here is a few shots of the scape. I Still feel it looks better in person than in the pics.

20160417_135238_zpsheuc8eav.jpg

20160417_135250_zpsmiifzmma.jpg

Nano box duo doing its thing, need to go get some compressed air so I can clean out the housing already. When I sent it in for the upgraded arrays, Dave found a ton of dust build up. He removed the grill for me so I can clean out the housing better. I live I the mountains and it's always super windy and dusty. Must stay on top of it this time.

Updates as they happen, thanks for checking out the build.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Still testing and it seems like I have something wonky going on. For 2 weeks or so my nitrites have been stuck at about 5ppm. A week and a half- 2 weeks ago, my ammonia was pretty high. It has since came down to zero and can process 2ppm in 24 hours to zero. My nitrites seem to be stuck in a holding pattern. Nitrates are still not registering and showing 0.

I am using an api test kit for cycle. I have salifert kits for after but not one for nitrites. I'm wondering if I'm getting bogus readings from the api kit.

I did a fish less cycle using seachem stability dosed for seven days and Dr Tim's ammonium cloride. I have diatoms appearing all over rocks and clean up crew was introduced a bit early (about 2 1/2 weeks ago). This is the first time I haven't used a shrimp or chromis for cycle. I'm wondering if I should wait it out a bit longer or if I should do a large water change to try and get the nitrites to reset.

I've been reading up on other hobbyists having similar issues with being able to process ammonia but having nitrites stuck really high or other than 0 for months. Seems like a lot of conflicting information about what to do when this happens. Some say do a water change and add cuc then wait a week to add a fish. Others say not to do a water change and wait it out for however long it takes. I've also read to dose ammonia really high and let it process to 0 in 24hrs. Some others advise to dose bacteria while others say not to. Another one.I heard is to dose prime and check a few days later and dose again until nitrites reduce. Some say do large water change and add fish, nitrites are not as harmful to the fish in saltwater, test daily for ammonia.

Anyone have any advise or a similar experience?

My test from today

20160422_144956_zpsaqxfhrai.jpg

makingfilms

cool build!

My nitrites where stuck a extreme levels for over 2 weeks when I upgraded my tank from a 5 to a 20 gallon. I just literally transferred my rock from one tank to another so technically I shouldn't have even cycled at all. I luckily kept my 5 up so I did not have to transfer my livestock right away. After two weeks of the same results I had to transfer my live stock as the room with my 5 gallon was being renovated. I did a wc and added everything to my new tank and everything was fine. I had a big bottle of prime to be safe. I sent a sample to my sister who Work's in a lab that tests sea water it came back nitrite free. it seems api can be pretty inaccurate and i have heard the bottled bactieria and prime can skew your results.

Tank finished it's cycle this past Monday, :).

I performed a 10g wc and waited till the nxt day to swap for a fresh sock and left the floss in my bubble trap until this weekend. Added my clowns and shrimp from the 29g and plan to break that tank down this weekend.

Also want to try my hand at breeding clowns once they settle in and begin laying regularly, just for fun, not for money or anything. If I am sucessful the spawn will be given away, donated and traded for tank stuff. Currently in the planning stages. I don't plan to harvest the spawn until the 5th or 6th lay. So I should have plenty of time to put a small set up together.

I picked up 2× 20g longs and 2× 10g tanks at petco during there dollar per gallon sale, total came out to $61. Got the two tens for $15..... So a stand and plumbing plan is being thought out as well as a rotifer and brine set up. Reading reading reading, watching lots of videos and breeding presentations. Seems like a lot of work but I'm willing to dedicate the time and give it a shot.

Another thread I suppose. :)

Few shots of the new tank mates

20160428_173228_zpssrnwb7ur.jpg

20160428_173910_zpsodmrzchx.jpg

20160428_173917_zpshxu1vttj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Went out today to pick up some plumbing stuff for the breeding set up, walked past the corals and got sucked in.

Picked up a few basic corals and recieved a few free frags as well.

I did a quick wc and tank cleaning and began the aclimation process. Scrubbed the plugs and let the chill in some revive for the last 15 minutes of aclimation. After cleaning the plugs and bases of corals, I'm am glad I dipped them. Found a few astern stars, bristol worm, what looked like a baby pipe fish...died in the dip, few pods, some kind of zoa spider thing and a lil gorilla crab...also dead now.

Frag pics after dip and all pissed off. Once things open up, I'll post some better pics.

20160507_162206_zpskksd0jx1.jpg

Called a aussi mini scolly, green with peach stripes and purplish body. They had some nice red ones but cost 25$ more. I want to see how well this one does before dropping $75+ on one.

20160507_162210_zpsmc4uqt1s.jpg

3 head super bright blastos w/several small baby's coming in. Super bright and was given a great price. Love me some blastos, they had a nice selection with reds and purples and many sizes. Owner hooked me up and hand picked everything.

20160507_162215_zps2cmoeovp.jpg

Next up, just had to grab a piece....purple stylo. Had a nice mini colony in the past couple tanks. Always grow well for me. Plus great deal as well

20160507_162225_zps9o6wgwff.jpg

All pissed off atm, a multi frag 6x hammers all fused together and looking awesome when fully extended. Couple greens, gold and purple....looked beautiful at the shop, had to have it and owner gave me a great price as well. More pics of this one to come to do it justice.

20160507_162231_zpsga5i7shn.jpg

Another pissed off piece, freebie. 3 fat head duncans with a few baby's showing there heads on the sides. Very pissed off atm. It was the biggest and healthiest in the frag section it was in. I like me some duncans as well though, hope to see it pop out soon so I can feed it. :)

20160507_162236_zpshhnae3jc.jpg

Another freebie. Kinda like a candy cane but with orange stripes. Slightly pissed atm. It looked lonely in the frag rack so I just grabbed it on a whim and the owner decided to donate it to my tank, thanks!

That's it for new frags, tank is doing great, skimming like a boss and all tank params are looking good as well. Plan to hook up my reactor(s) tomorrow and prep to run some carbon and gfo.

I'll get some better pics after everything settles in.

• 2 weeks later...

Few pics I forgot to post. Couple days ago. All frags are doing great. Tank is on cruise control for now.

20160516_162426_zpsv2ar2zkt.jpg

There is a purple hammer in the back, golds are hogging all the real estate. Cool piece.

20160507_190041_zpsorpoouae.jpg

Not so pissed off. Colony was fragged/cut weird so 2 heads face forward and one backwards. Eating well.

20160516_162454_zpssrgrjog2.jpg

So far this piece is doing the best, crazy polyp extension. I did have to pull it out and scrub the base plug cause it started to grow some algae. Removed and doing very well.

Mini scolly is doing well and changing colors under the nanobox duo compared to when I bought it at the store. Lots of neon peach under blue light. Doing well and need to snap a pic still.

Blastos have settled in nicely and showing great extension. Very bright and stand out in the tank.

Candy canes look the same.

I've been moving them around every few days or so to see how they react to flow and more or less light. So far the hammer is the hardiest. At first it didn't like the flow in the tank so I dialed it back and it puffed up. Over a couple days of increasing flow back to medium amount, it has adjusted and seems to be doing well.

Phone is about to die, updates when things happen, thanks for checking out my tank.

Tank is looking good! Those mini scoly's are sweet. I picked one up at asd. I am tempted to make a tank full of them. Mines red pink with gold yellowish stripes. Gonna buy a couple more this weekend since I haven't killed this one yet

Thanks sancho. All these pieces came from asd. He had a full tank full of those mini scoly's. So tempting. Might be there this weekend. Also glad to see you got them dino's under control, your tank is looking good

Not much going on, rocks are starting to get coraline all over. Clowns have started there mating act, twitching like crazy at each other.

Fts before sunset

20160522_190757_zpskfkn3kol.jpg

Started working on the breeder set up, fish rack frame complete. Now I need to sheet the shelves and start the plumbing & drill the tanks.

I picked up most of the plumbing parts this weekend. Just need to get a sump or build one, find a suitable skimmer and figure out a return pump and buy a few more tanks.

20160522_165658_zpsb8jgcnau.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has changed with the 34g. I cut the lighting schedule back by 2 hours due to excessive hot days here in San Diego. I was seeing Temps as high as 82 in the tank. Time to bust out the aquarium fan.

Some pics of progress on clown build.

I found enough scrap plywood in my wood shed to sheet the stand. Had to add a few extra support 2x4s to take the load in seam spots.

20160528_173510_zps1xhmjpyy.jpg

20160528_173502_zpsutrvud6v.jpg

Drilled 6 tanks today, all went well except for the top tank on the right. It cracked when my drill was starting to pop through the other side and got caught on the edge.

20160604_145153_zpseej14ttu.jpg

20160604_145136_zpsikel38rp.jpg

20160604_145203_zpspkt3gods.jpg

Check out that mega sump! Thanks spyda!

As you can see in this next pic, I had to remove the two center vertical supports to accommodate the sump. Stand was over built anyways and I feel confident the second shelf can hold the load of two 20 longs. Currently painting and mocking up the tanks for plumbing

20160604_183356_zps0run66co.jpg

After tanks get painted, the stand will be next. Then onto hard plumbing it all together and picking out a skimmer and return pump.

After all that's finished I will be incorporating a rotiFer, phyto station and brine hatchery. Looking forward to this part.

Gonna still be a while before all is wet and running. I'll continue to update things as they progress. Thanks for checking out the build inside the build.

Wc day, checked my tds on my rodi unit. I was showing 2ppm after di. It's been 9 months since my last filter change. I've had a new di filter in my fridge for a month as we as a new carbon and sediment filter on the shelf. So I spent the morning sanitizing the system and flushing the filters.

20160605_080114_001_zpsqa15t74l.jpg

Next on the list for the day was to paint the stand. I had a gallon of black left from my last Stand build, decided to just use it instead of buying new paint. After 3 coats and all day painting, it is done and now wish I would have went with the country blue I saw at the store. But it will work and better than looking at bare wood.

20160605_155948_zpstdpjzyly.jpg

Once I finished messing with the stand, I did my 5g wc and tank scrub on the 34. Tds is now 0 again :).

Snapped a few crappie dusk shots before lights out.

20160605_201219_zpsrbkf2w2p.jpg

20160605_201223_zpsoq0ivqhm.jpg

20160605_201225_zpsoaihmahc.jpg

20160605_201240_zpshg1lyc4r.jpg

That's all for today. Plumbing is up next

34 is doing good, ready for some new pieces. Only thing that has changed with it since the last update is the noise from the overflow.

I was doing normal tank maintenance and decided to pull the nylon mesh type floss out of the overflow for a quick rinse. I Put it back and the noise has been consistently louder each day. Like an annoying toilet with the flapper stuck open. I Put some intank floss in the overflow box and it made it dead salient but also raised my water level in the display and drained half my sump. I do not trust the floss in there, fearing it will clog and I will end up with a floor covered in water. I've made some adjustments to the mesh type floss in the overflow box and it quiets down for a day but then gurgle's and gets loud again. Still playing around with it.

In other news, the build inside the build is progressing slowly. Update with pics:

Moved the stand inside the house

20160611_120347_zpsdh33ojxp.jpg

Got the tanks painted and leak testing commenced.

20160611_115823_zpshjdiuyqb.jpg

20160611_115814_zpsi2wylljd.jpg

Forgot to snap one of the sump but it passed as well.

Placed the tanks I have on the stand. I broke the 4th 10gal when drilling, plan to pick up 2 more soon to go on top.

20160611_163537_zpsgzs0o9he.jpg

Started to organize the plumbing parts and dry fit what I could. Need more pieces.

20160611_163545_zpsdxtdhzr7.jpg

Upside down return layout, the bottom line of the pvc will go to the top set of tanks, middle to middle and top to return and reactors/uv. I need more plumbing parts, few more unions and ball valves

20160611_182746_zps7drn2h4d.jpg

20160611_182801_zpspmta8omb.jpg

Bulkhead dry fit. Need some 90's for my drain.

20160611_184018_zpsmq4gspwy.jpg

That's as far as I got today. Had to make my kids dinner,:). Still gonna be a while before it's wet. Looking for a large skimmer and dc return pump. Plan to dry fit as much plumbing as possible then possibly paint the plumbing to stand out or blend in, hahaha lol. Been discussed in the household already. Red, yellow, country blue, black, orange...:|¿¿¿

After all that, I would like to come up with some kinda idea for a rotiFer / phyto rack. Either multiple flask or bottles or go with 5gal buckets. Need to get some ideas together and browse around at what other have done that worked well.

We'll gotta clean up my mess now, thanks for checking me out again.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on the breeder but still moving forward. Picked up this skimmer today, rated for 700g. It's big!

20160625_142042_zpsf9lzfvni.jpg

I did some local line ball valves on the return. I was looking all over for a small valve and came across these, thought I'd give them a shot.

20160625_135517_zpsagnerajo.jpg

Came up on father's day, I found this light at the hardware store on sale for $20. It's pretty bright for only being 30w.

20160625_135410_zpspdit5n6v.jpg

Some drain action, still need to modify parts of it as well as install vinyl tubing, drain bushings and plumbing the rest to sump. Kinda a feeler of what it's going to be.

20160625_172042_zpskhizbbpe.jpg

Still looking for a dc pump. Only reason for the dc pump is to save on power, the controllabilty is an added bonus. I'm just worried that I'll spend the money on one and then it crap out on me which makes me think ac pump. Maybe as a back up. Still need to source some more rock and acid bath a few buckets that I have. Going to build some magnetic doors for the bottom, mid and possible canopy for the top to hide things and muffle the noise.

Still months out.

Only issue I am having with the cad light reboot it the noise on this 700gph glass holes over flow, trying floss atm but it clogs to fast and causes sump water fluctuations causing my ato to go crazy.

Anyone have any advise on how to quite it down?

Just got home from work to find a few packages of mine basically on the street. Right when I pulled up, there was a suspect looking tweeker walking by my gate where the packages were placed on the wrong side of. Just blows my mind how I can spend my money and then have it boxed up, mailed and placed on the corner instead of by my door or house or even inside my gate.

Got some socks and bulkheads

20160630_161631_zpsydwrhemx.jpg

Also, an ato. Was originally going to go with the jbj or smart ato but in the end, I decided to spend the few extra bucks for an ato I have a bit more faith in. Kinda sucks cause a day after I paid for it, one went up fs on the boards

20160630_161611_zpsmqm8rwod.jpg

And finally after searching the boards for a few months to no avail..... a dc pump was ordered. I'm excited to see what this thing can do but in the back of my mind I'm thinking.... how long will it last. I've heard good and bad reviews about this pump. They either break really quickly or are dead silent and out perform Peps old pumps and save power. I'm hoping for the best.

20160630_161620_zpsuh6cpnjs.jpg

Plan to work on the breeder set up a Lil this holiday weekend and possibly pick up a few more tanks if the dollar per gallon sale is on and of course more plumbing.

Happy 4th!

Spiderguardnano

Everything is looking really killer bro glad the sump worked out its pretty much a perfect fit for everything. And that skimmer dude is insane.

Bro you got to check SD corals they got in this sick clown pair amazing pair great for the breeding system

Shoot me a text j stil have a video

Everything is looking really killer bro glad the sump worked out its pretty much a perfect fit for everything. And that skimmer dude is insane.

Bro you got to check SD corals they got in this sick clown pair amazing pair great for the breeding system

Shoot me a text j stil have a video

Is that SD reef shop? Or is there a new store in town?

Spiderguardnano

Is that SD reef shop? Or is there a new store in town?

Sorry sancho yeah I meant SD corals I'm so used to typing in sdreefs for the forum lol

I'll hit you up sometime this week. Just picked up a few more tanks after work today @ $ per gallon sale petco.... ends August 6th. The one I went to was stocked up, 40b, 20l, 10's. I want to add 12 more tanks, hahahaha

myarmolich

Thats going to be an awesome breeder setup!

How do you like your DJ switches? Thinking about skipping an Apex on my new tank and just running those. Any faults I should be aware of?

Thats going to be an awesome breeder setup!

How do you like your DJ switches? Thinking about skipping an Apex on my new tank and just running those. Any faults I should be aware of?

The dj switches are pretty sweet. I like how I can switch individual equipment off when needed. They are fairly inexpensive and do what I want, I'm happy with them but if I had the extra cash...I'd probably go with an Apex or something similar. Being able to program switches and have updates and access to your equipment via cell phone/computer/wifi/tablets etc etc with an Apex or similar controller is super awesome and really let's you monitor and control your tank (s) where ever you may be, at work, vacation, out of town etc etc. There is a learning curve as far as programing goes but there are tons of resources and knowledgeable people there to help. Pricey though :).

Changed up my drains today and did some more plumbing. After a visit to the hardware store for more pvc, I need to make another trip. I still need a few more pieces to finish return and drain. Going to enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend for now so another week or so before that is done.

Quick pic, also added 2 more 10's, plan to just run air stones and individual heaters and use these 2 tanks for freshly hatched fry. So I will have 3 tanks for pairs, 2 hatch tanks, 2 grow out tanks and also looking at adding 6-12 more grow out tanks in the future. Either 6x20longs or 12xstandard 10's.

20160703_164125_zpsgb8o1erk.jpg

Ordered some beakers to culture phytoplankton and just received an email stating they have received my order but time is unknown for shipping due to back orders. Phyto, rotifer and brine set up is next on the list of things to do.

Fts of the 34, not much has changed. Still on cruise control and things are looking good. I'm about to do my weekly water change. Also plan to add a few more frags in the coming weeks. Will keep it posted. Thanks again for checking it all out!

20160703_172305_zpsbnsy1izs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Lil diy today,

I made a Lil phyto and brine rack. Still need to paint and install a few lights.

20160725_165327_zpsnne8jir6.jpg

Also quick shot of the few frags I have

20160724_180553_zpslue29hzi.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

Lil diy today,

I made a Lil phyto and brine rack. Still need to paint and install a few lights.

20160725_165327_zpsnne8jir6.jpg

Also quick shot of the few frags I have

20160724_180553_zpslue29hzi.jpg

Always doing the biggest projects man! This setup is legit my dude!

^^:)

Thx, I want to explore this side of the hobby for a bit.

Culturing phyto and rotiFers is interesting imo. Already, some changes to the rack above are taking place. Need to double my green water to be able to sustain about 8 gallons of rotifers. So instead of 6 beakers, I will need 12. :)

I may hold off for now until my pairs grow and system expands but plans are in the works.

Still a ways, away.

Currently working on air line set up, light bar install on new rack, paint and light shield.

Finish return plumbing for reactor and finalize Bulkhead drains.

Rotifer set up

Other task before system is wet:

Uv sterilizer

Water station ( mixing and storage, maybe 200g )

Finish fry set up

Grow out set up and plumbing into this set up (4×40 breeders or 4x20longs)

Sound proof entire system (possible wall install or sliding doors"glass")

Find pairs

Order cultures

Hahaha all this is a bit extensive and unnecessary....I enjoy it and keeps me busy. More updates as they happen.

Thanks for checking things out

Archived