Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New dslr critique please

sprite

I know the iso was to high. I didn't notice it until I was in light room already. Kit lens on canon rebel t5

IMG_0107_zpss7iwpqwc.jpg

Tamron macro will be here this week sometime

Looks more than good enough for posting on forums. I think people have a tendency to go nuts with the macro pics like they are going to make poster sized prints or something crazy. Nice job with the kit lens!

I think that picture is great! I am having troubles with achieving pictures like this with my Nikon D7000 with various lenses.

What helped me was YouTube... I searched for my camera and watched a video that explained what every button on my camera was used for.. I actually watched it twice.. Then watched others on reef photography.

Looks more than good enough for posting on forums. I think people have a tendency to go nuts with the macro pics like they are going to make poster sized prints or something crazy. Nice job with the kit lens!

Thank you...I wanted a macro because most of my SP's are farther away than this coal was from the glass and the kit lens is not doing very good being only 18-55mm

I am pretty handy with my camera already. BUT when its comes to the tank I just cant get it.. I am going to mess with F16 and ISO of 400-1600 tonight. I have several lenses

kit lens

35MM prime lens

Tamron Macro

55-200mm

85-100mm

and a few others.

I think that picture is great! I am having troubles with achieving pictures like this with my Nikon D7000 with various lenses.

I am pretty handy with my camera already. BUT when its comes to the tank I just cant get it.. I am going to mess with F16 and ISO of 400-1600 tonight. I have several lenses

kit lens

35MM prime lens

Tamron Macro

55-200mm

85-100mm

and a few others.

I shoot with Nikon D7000. You can check my build threads for pics. Secret is setting the right White Balance. I doubt you can use F16. It will bump your ISO way higher than 1600 and drop your shutter speed too low.

It probably makes it easier on me as in shooting under my also.. LED can be a pain

One I took night before last messing around

Garf Bonsai

IMG_0117_zps6n6skdgc.jpg

It probably makes it easier on me as in shooting under my also.. LED can be a pain

One I took night before last messing around

Garf Bonsai

IMG_0117_zps6n6skdgc.jpg

You inspired me to get back to messing with my camera, last night snapped about 200+ pictures... I think I have a full understanding of ISO now. :)

thanks

If you want to get a nice DOF mount that dslr to a tripod, drop the ISO and lengthen that shutter speed. I've gotten such clean results doing that. Even shooting at f20.

I also tend to edit out the high blues in post. I can fix it decently with using the 10000K WB setting on my d610, but I usually do most of the WB adjustments in Lightroom.

I have tripod now, but haven't has time to take pics yet.. Those pics I noticed after I took then that iso was like 800... Everything I've read days 100-200 is best

Side shots are harder to get with LEDs due to LEDs being point source lights and less light is directed to the camera sensor. For better pics under LEDs, take top downs. The camera's sensor will get more reflected light and produce a better image. The issue from there will be stability. Either by using a mount or COMFORTABLE supported position which allows for a slower shutter speed and lower ISO. The picture below was taken at 100 ISO, f/5.6, 1/60 Shutter speed, and 132 mm zoom in a unsupported position with the screen articulated under LEDs while using an Avast Porthole:

24742281500_b751d2ec05_k.jpg

I have been struggling with these photos under LEDs.

Zoas are killing me, and I am starting to think its how the biocubes glass is. Also after a few days I realized I still had my UV filter on one lens, circular polarizer on another...

here is the best i have got so far.

DSC_7088_zpslt0txbug.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know the iso was to high. I didn't notice it until I was in light room already. Kit lens on canon rebel t5

IMG_0107_zpss7iwpqwc.jpg

Tamron macro will be here this week sometime

Here is my $0.02.

Solid image. The center is sharp, colors are spot on, not too oversatured. That being said, this image would be KILLER if it were multi exposed and focus stacked.

A quick google on focus stacking will tell you all about it. You could take 5 or 7 photos with the focus on different parts and stack them in post. You'd have the WHOLE subject in focus.

With your new macro lens I would suggest learning focus stacking. With the extremely thin DOF you often get with macro, focus stacking can change your world!!! You'll need your tripod but it's nothing you can't learn in the course of a few evenings.

A few of these images aside from the first are getting soft or OOF. Watch the focus. Never settle. If you are having problems with focus or soft images keep working at it till you nail it. If you take 250 photos to get 1 that is tack sharp you are doing it right. Junk the rest and don't look back. In a year or so, you'll take 75 pictures to get that 1 and another year down the road, maybe 30. With small subject and the razor the DOF margins of macro type photography this is normal. Don't let it drag you down, keep shooting, keep deleting, shooting, deleting. You will thank yourself for all the deletes when you have a small collection of photos that will blow people away.

One of my macros just for fun:

8665412381_37199f2fc8_c.jpgIMG_5158

OP, your shot is pretty good, amybe as good as youll get with the kit lens. most kits are actually good at "macro" since they focus close up.

I shot with a Pentax but the rules are generally the same. The Tamron macro 90 f2.8 alwasy worked best for me, but i sold it after last tank crashed :(

Couple things i've learned i'll share with ya.

-Set manual white balance as high as possible, mine is set to 10k

-leave ISO in the 400-1600 range, were using APS-C sensor's not full frames

-a tripod or something steady is must

-use a remote trigger or on my camera i use the 2 second timer that has a built in mirror lock to minimize camera shake.

-F11 or 13 is about as high as you can go with good quality, if you want the hole subject in focus look into focus stacking software. I havent yet.

-Lightroom is awesome. I mostly use it to brighten up the photos since i shot a stop or two faster, faster always better when possible

-I have all my power heads on one plug. this way i can unplug them and get shots with less water movement.

-shoot in RAW mode, lets lightroom be much more effective

wow.such.chris

I looked at that 1st picture full sized in a dark room and I don't think the ISO is too high at all. I would have tried to increase the depth of field, possibly by focus stacking as is mentioned earlier. Nice work in all of them but I, personally, think the 1st one was the best. Keep it up!

OP, your shot is pretty good, amybe as good as youll get with the kit lens. most kits are actually good at "macro" since they focus close up.

I shot with a Pentax but the rules are generally the same. The Tamron macro 90 f2.8 alwasy worked best for me, but i sold it after last tank crashed :(

Couple things i've learned i'll share with ya.

-Set manual white balance as high as possible, mine is set to 10k

-leave ISO in the 400-1600 range, were using APS-C sensor's not full frames

-a tripod or something steady is must

-use a remote trigger or on my camera i use the 2 second timer that has a built in mirror lock to minimize camera shake.

-F11 or 13 is about as high as you can go with good quality, if you want the hole subject in focus look into focus stacking software. I havent yet.

-Lightroom is awesome. I mostly use it to brighten up the photos since i shot a stop or two faster, faster always better when possible

-I have all my power heads on one plug. this way i can unplug them and get shots with less water movement.

-shoot in RAW mode, lets lightroom be much more effective

I have the Tamron 90 mm now

HarryPotter

I just got a Canon T5i. I need to figure out how to set the white balance and stuff. Guess I should read the book.

Nah just take a photo of something white in the tank and you're set.

• 3 months later...

Archived