Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Baby's aBode! 5.5g Macro Aquarium!

vlangel

Is it attached to a rock in your seahorse tank? I think it attaches by a tiny little holdfast so it's difficult to get it to attach

Oh neat!

Like yours my original piece came as a hh. Since then however tiny little petals would show up in random places on the LR which is what leads me to believe that it sends out spores. I forgot to answer but yes it has tiny little dots on it. I was browsing the macros on LA reefs once and they had a similar macro that they called rose petal so maybe that is what it is, idk for sure though.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baby's aBode is humming right along. The lighting is just barely adequate but the macros and mushrooms seem to be ok. I doubt it could grow much more but since I wanted this to be an easy tank I am ok with that. I have added 2 different fish that came with the seahorse's feeder shrimp, the goby type and I have no idea what the other fish is. I will try and get a pic some time. Today I added a large asterina starfish from the seahorse tank. And of course Baby who seems to be doing fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that one of my macros has really taken off. It is shading the mushroom but the mushroom was huge so i guess its ok. Unless it got huge in an attempt to absorb more light. There isn't much nuisance algae so I guess I have a good balance.

I noticed today that one of my macros has really taken off. It is shading the mushroom but the mushroom was huge so i guess its ok. Unless it got huge in an attempt to absorb more light. There isn't much nuisance algae so I guess I have a good balance.

time to send it to me :ninja::P

Sick setup, love the macro algae and overall look of the tank!

Thanks, it is sort of super simple with the macro algae doing some of the work. I do a couple gallon WC once a week and run carbon but no sump, skimmer, reactors or even powerheads. I like the free fish that came with the feeder shrimp too. There are several gobies, 2 fish i have no idea what they are and some ghosties. O yeah, and of course Baby the clownfish who seems very happy in there.

time to send it to me :ninja::P

I would be glad to send some if you want? Its a common one that came with the ghost shrimp.

Woah!!!! Awesome tank!!!! You raised Baby yourself???? That is way cool :happy:.

Ahh thanks Gena. I can tell ya baby clowns are way easier than baby seahorses! I would have done it again except i stunk at keeping a rotifer culture alive and it wasn't cheap getting one if you don't know someone locally who is doing it.

Its so funny that i call him Baby because he was born in '09, ha ha! He is definitely not a baby anymore!

Ahh thanks Gena. I can tell ya baby clowns are way easier than baby seahorses! I would have done it again except i stunk at keeping a rotifer culture alive and it wasn't cheap getting one if you don't know someone locally who is doing it.

Its so funny that i call him Baby because he was born in '09, ha ha! He is definitely not a baby anymore!

It's a great name :). He'll always be your baby!
  • 2 weeks later...

In my feeder shrimp tank came another of those pipefish. Most of the shrimp have been fed to the seahorses and i have been expecting to see it perish any day now. Nate, my son thought he saw it eating cyclopese, (which i put in the tank often just in case it eats some). I decided to move it into Baby's aBode since that is a nicer tank and may even have pods. I take better care of Baby's tank also.

I was wondering the same thing! Where do you get your feeders? I'm thinking about putting some in my 12 long - not necessarily for a food source but just to add some clean up crew other than snails :) the crouchers might eat them, but that's ok!

where do you get the shrimp from

I order them from FL but i need to buy a minimum of 250. With overnight shipping they are about $80. I think you can buy them in smaller amounts but itis not as economical. If you want the exact name i will get it, (my husband orders them for me on ebay).

I was wondering the same thing! Where do you get your feeders? I'm thinking about putting some in my 12 long - not necessarily for a food source but just to add some clean up crew other than snails :) the crouchers might eat them, but that's ok!

I can get the exact name if you still need it. I guess you can buy them in less than 250 but it is more costly.

The name is: at_your_door_fishstore 50-$20 250-$84

Are they just called feeder shrimp dawn? Do you kee them in regular salinity? Thank you!

I think they are feeder ghost/grass shrimp but they are a marine variety. Some of them went over the overflow and are living in the fuge for the last month. My salinity is .024 . Dave told me that the 250ct were free shipping but the $50ct is not free shipping.

Cool little tank!! Baby seems to be enjoying his new cool place too! :)

~SF

Thanks SantaMonicaHelp. Baby is doing well and he shares his aBode with a lot of feeder creatures that i rescued from being fed, ha ha!
gulfsurfer101

Wow! Sorry for just skimming it over but how old is the tank! It's looking really great! I'm almost inspired to commandere my the 5.5g I built for my kids and set it up!

Looking great! Love seeing this tank! :wub:

I like it too. It has 3 rescue gobies and some sort of basselet-like fish in addition to Baby so its a pretty active little tank.

Wow! Sorry for just skimming it over but how old is the tank! It's looking really great! I'm almost inspired to commandere my the 5.5g I built for my kids and set it up!

It has been up for about a month and a half. I was feeling bad for keeping my hand raised clownfish in with my feeder shrimp so i set up this easy little tank. The rock was already cured so i just got some sand and macro algae from my seahorse tank. The Aqueon HOB pump and LEDs i had in my fish room. The low light and macros keeps the nuisance algae at a minimum. I do a couple gallon WC once a week and change the carbon and thats about it. Turns out that i really like this little tank.

gulfsurfer101

It has been up for about a month and a half. I was feeling bad for keeping my hand raised clownfish in with my feeder shrimp so i set up this easy little tank. The rock was already cured so i just got some sand and macro algae from my seahorse tank. The Aqueon HOB pump and LEDs i had in my fish room. The low light and macros keeps the nuisance algae at a minimum. I do a couple gallon WC once a week and change the carbon and thats about it. Turns out that i really like this little tank.

Sounds simple enough! I don't believe I've ever properly cycled a tank! I've always set them up on the fly kinda similarly to what you have done with this one!

This morning i fed omega enriched brine shrimp to the inhabitants of Baby's aBode and they all came out at once to partake. To be honest i didn't really even know how many fish were in there since as i would find them in the feeder shrimp tank i would move them to Baby's tank. There are at least 8 fish packed into that little 5.5 gallon tank! They all seem fat, healthy without skirmishes over real estate, and the tank is not over run with algae, so i am going to assume with the 50% WCs weekly that they are fine. It is definitely preferable to a feeder tank!

Archived