ReefCleaners.org

Baby's aBode! 5.5g Macro Aquarium!

vlangel

20160213_123110_zpsuyh99dqh.jpg

Hi folks, I decided to make a thread for this little tank. This tank was a feeder tank until yesterday when I moved it next to my desk to enjoy. I moved Baby, a clownfish I raised from my mated pair of clowns in 2009 into it. Baby shares this little tank with some brackish gobies and ghost shrimp that I ordered as feeders. Since the light fixture is only a reading light, (with one of those high efficiency curlique bulbs) this tank will be primarily a macro algae tank with maybe some low light coral or NPS coral. For filtration all I have is an aqueon HOB filter. I will use WCs as well. The rock is LR from former tanks. Right now there is no heater in the tank but I think I will purchase one although Baby has been living without one for a long time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great! You can eventually get some shrooms/zoas or another small fixture. NPS sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Thanks! This morning the tank was nice and clear and I moved a free floating mushroom from the seahorse tank to Baby's tank. I also had an extra kenya tree that I moved into there. I wont know if the light is adequate unless I try it. I have always wanted to try a sun coral and maybe some NPS gorgs!

That's awesome, and the fact that it's "your" aquacultured fish makes it even better!

Yep, Baby is special. I sold his parents when I downsized the 90g tank. His mama was a huge hormonal monster who bit me every time I put my hand in the tank but Baby has always been sweet natured. I felt bad that he was in a tank with nothing but feeder shrimp so I am glad that he's in a display tank now.

I had an old heater left over from tanks before the seahorses. Its bigger than needed but its a submersible so I laid it down on the sand and have attempted to hide it. It should help the temperature swings in the little tank.

20160214_201322_zpsxqomztx8.jpg

The first FTS. It cleared up nicely.

20160214_201416_zpsfahaz90u.jpg

A closer pic and you can see Baby's roommate, one of the gobies.

Actually I guess several roommates!

I had an old LED blue light fixture and since I like to sit in the biker den first thing in the morning I decided it would be nice to put that over Baby' aBode. Its a bit ghetto because the fixture is too long but for now it works. The blue spectrum should be good for the macros and coral that I add also.

http://s36.photobucket.com/share/links?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs36.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2Fvlangelbike%2Fmedia%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2F20160215_122225_zpsgmf7lznf.jpg.html%3Ffilters%5Buser%5D%3D141606855%26filters%5Brecent%5D%3D1%26sort%3D1%26o%3D0

20160215_122225_zpsgmf7lznf.jpg

Just ignore that link, it to the pic I posted. I messed up!

I was considering moving a peppermint shrimp or 2 from the seahorse tank to help with clean up. I am watching this little tank and am shocked how cute and busy those little gobies are. Now I am afraid a monsterous peppermint would make a meal of them and I don't want that. I guess I will get some benevolent snails instead.

Another thing I am pleased with is the coral I put in there as a trial to test my light seem to be doing well. They include a kenya tree, a green mushroom and 1 zoa. Everything is open and happy looking. So far the macros look great too but I was pretty sure they would be alright.

I should test for ammonia to make sure the transfer has not started a major cycle. I do not expect one since all the rock was well establish and I threw a sponge in the aqueon filter that was in an established system.

Since those coral were doing ok I moved 2 more over from the seahorse tank...a sickly green finger leather and a frag plug of blue clove polyps.

Cool lil tank! Was kinda hoping you were doing seahorse babies but I do like the fact that you raised the clown from a baby. I'll be checking in on this one from time to time for sure.

20160214_201416_zpsfahaz90u.jpg

A closer pic and you can see Baby's roommate, one of the gobies.

Actually I guess several roommates!

Dawn! This looks awesome!

Cool lil tank! Was kinda hoping you were doing seahorse babies but I do like the fact that you raised the clown from a baby. I'll be checking in on this one from time to time for sure.

Thanks Pinner. Yes, this lil guy is special but I was afraid to put him in with the seahorses. I have had him with the feeder shrimp which didn't seem like a worthy place for him, but I didn't want a high maintenance tank for sure. Hopefully with the macros, this little tank will be sort of auto-pilot except for WCs every couple of weeks.

Dawn! This looks awesome!

Thanks stella, I am liking it too. Baby was in this tank but with feeder shrimp and a piece of LR. It just didn't seem worthy of him so I decided it was time to spruce it up. I had everything except the light with the articulating arm and I got it on clearance. I am hoping the macros will suck up the nitrates so that it will be a pretty low maintenance tank. I definitely DO NOT need another high maintenance fish tank!

Wow, that's really cool how you raised your own clownfish. And Baby is big! Was expecting a much smaller fish haha!

I guess Baby's name is misleading, especially since he is coming on 7 years old. Actually though Baby's mama, Ato was probably 3Xs bigger than Baby. Baby's papa, Tommy was only slightly bigger than Baby is now and he was extremely henpecked by Ato.

Raising clownfish was not terribly hard but keeping a rotifer culture going was really hard,(and that is what they eat the first weeks of their life) LOL.

20160217_132805_zps88y3bmai.jpg

FTS with the addition of the mushroom rock and green finger leather in top right, along with the blue clove polyps down on the left. Half of the blue clove polyps are closed so I am not sure what is going on there. Today my order from Drs F and S came so will add some Seachem Stability.

How have I NOT seen this thread? omgomgomg

Lol I also was expected a tiny "baby" clown! That's so cool you raised him yourself :)

This tank looks great already! :wub: What's the red feathery looking macro on the right side in this pic? That's not Plocamium is it?

Btw, does that white piece of paper say "Awana" on it?

Ha ha, well I only set this tank up last weekend so it has not been around all that long! That is just a variety of dragon's breath on the right. Its not under a strong enough light to bring out the orange tips.

And yes, that piece of paper does say AWANA. That cute little desk is where I do a lot of my praying and one of the things I pray for is our church's AWANA club. We take a neighbor boy and his mom and my hubby teaches a class.

Were you in AWANA? All 3 of our boys went when they were little and 2 of them earned their Citation awards.

Ha ha, well I only set this tank up last weekend so it has not been around all that long! That is just a variety of dragon's breath on the right. Its not under a strong enough light to bring out the orange tips.

And yes, that piece of paper does say AWANA. That cute little desk is where I do a lot of my praying and one of the things I pray for is our church's AWANA club. We take a neighbor boy and his mom and my hubby teaches a class.

Were you in AWANA? All 3 of our boys went when they were little and 2 of them earned their Citation awards.

Oh cool, it looks so feathery! Also, I'm jealous of that flat red macro, I had a tiny piece a few years ago and it got lost in my tank and disappeared :( That is one of the biggest pieces I've seen in a tank

Yes! It felt like forever ago but I went with my brother and sister (I'm a triplet) for years! I think until we outgrew it lol

Those were good times. I think I still have some of the little notebooks somewhere buried in a "memories" box.

Ah, so that's why it's covered in sticky notes? :lol:

Oh cool, it looks so feathery! Also, I'm jealous of that flat red macro, I had a tiny piece a few years ago and it got lost in my tank and disappeared :( That is one of the biggest pieces I've seen in a tank

Yes! It felt like forever ago but I went with my brother and sister (I'm a triplet) for years! I think until we outgrew it lol

Those were good times. I think I still have some of the little notebooks somewhere buried in a "memories" box.

Ah, so that's why it's covered in sticky notes? :lol:

That flat flowy red macro is also in the seahorse tank. It looks like ulva except it is red. I got it originally from a mushroom rock that our lfs had. It must send spores out because now it is in several places in my seahorse tank. It grows fast and I just rip it off from time to time so its not really a nuisance. Its probably a good nutrient export.

Yep, that is why I have sticky notes everywhere on my desk. I pray for folks or requests until the Lord answers those prayers and then I put them in a canning jar on the desk as answered prayer!

That flat flowy red macro is also in the seahorse tank. It looks like ulva except it is red. I got it originally from a mushroom rock that our lfs had. It must send spores out because now it is in several places in my seahorse tank. It grows fast and I just rip it off from time to time so its not really a nuisance. Its probably a good nutrient export.

Yep, that is why I have sticky notes everywhere on my desk. I pray for folks or requests until the Lord answers those prayers and then I put them in a canning jar on the desk as answered prayer!

I also found mine as a HH on a coral rock. Does it have little spots on it? or is it just red?

Do you just rubberband it to a rock? I think I had trouble getting mine to attached to a rock.

That is awesome! I'm obviously not involved in AWANA anymore, but I've joined a college student based organization, Cru (previously Campus Crusade for Christ) Idk if you've heard of it, but my church back home sponsored a Cru group for a local uni. But we do some similar stuff with prayer requests :) Anyways, super cute desk!

I also found mine as a HH on a coral rock. Does it have little spots on it? or is it just red?

Do you just rubberband it to a rock? I think I had trouble getting mine to attached to a rock.

That is awesome! I'm obviously not involved in AWANA anymore, but I've joined a college student based organization, Cru (previously Campus Crusade for Christ) Idk if you've heard of it, but my church back home sponsored a Cru group for a local uni. But we do some similar stuff with prayer requests :) Anyways, super cute desk!

Just like you I have had trouble getting that macro to attach. That big piece is what I ripped out of the seahorse tank and it is stuffed in a piece of LR in Baby's tank that looks like a calcified or petrified clam shell. Its in where the mantel would be and since that tank is pretty low flow it stays put. It might not ever attach but I wanted to see if there was a chance.

O yes, I have heard of Campus Crusade for Christ. When I was in college I attended a Sunday School class that was lead by a man in Campus Crusade for Christ. That is cool that you are involved with them in college/university!

Just like you I have had trouble getting that macro to attach. That big piece is what I ripped out of the seahorse tank and it is stuffed in a piece of LR in Baby's tank that looks like a calcified or petrified clam shell. Its in where the mantel would be and since that tank is pretty low flow it stays put. It might not ever attach but I wanted to see if there was a chance.

O yes, I have heard of Campus Crusade for Christ. When I was in college I attended a Sunday School class that was lead by a man in Campus Crusade for Christ. That is cool that you are involved with them in college/university!

Is it attached to a rock in your seahorse tank? I think it attaches by a tiny little holdfast so it's difficult to get it to attach

Oh neat!

Archived