Cultivated Reef

Double float switch ato help needed!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Looking at building my own ato by using two horizontal float switches and a 12v dc relay switch a 12v adapter and an extension cord. I would like one switch to start my pump and the other to act as a redundancy switch in case the first one ever fails and the pump continued to top off my tank. Anyone got a good wire diagram or link to where this is covered.

All you need to do is mount one switch higher than the other and inverted.

The lowest one should be at your desired water level and set up to be open circuit (off) when the water is at the right level and as the water drops, closed (on) to start the pump. The second redundancy switch which is a little higher needs to be set to closed circuit (on) unless the water level rises and lifts it opening the circuit (turning off the pump).

2%20float%20ATO_zpseuxhodgx.png

gulfsurfer101

Thanks looks like what I had figured so far. The actual n/o n/c setting is what has me confused. I'm not sure how to run both switches to the relay one normally open and the other normally closed. Would it be a matter of just flipping the wires from the relay to the switches.

Sounds like your over thinking this.

The switches need to be in series wired one after the other, so it's like having 1 switch going to the relay, but both have to be closed (on) to allow power to switch the relay.

If the main (lower) switch fails to break the circuit when the desired water level is reached the second one will. If either switch is in the open (off) position the pump won't run.

gulfsurfer101

Damn your probably right. I am inn the hospital with my wife overnight while she undergoes observation in her third trimester. I wasn't expecting not making it home today. Hopefully they'll send us home tomorrow and I'll get some pics up of what I'm working with and hopefully you can help walk me through it. I appreciate the information thus far!

Good luck with the baby man, hope the over night obs aren't because there are issues. We had a couple of extended visits for monitoring before our little one arrived last March, nothing over night though. Babies put everything on hold lol. Hope you don't have to many projects you intended on finishing anytime soon on the go. If you do, best rethink completion dates lol.

gulfsurfer101

Good luck with the baby man, hope the over night obs aren't because there are issues. We had a couple of extended visits for monitoring before our little one arrived last March, nothing over night though. Babies put everything on hold lol. Hope you don't have to many projects you intended on finishing anytime soon on the go. If you do, best rethink completion dates lol.

Thanks man! We were realeased and sure will be doing visits twice a week. I'm lucky enough to be doing contract work atm so I'm able to work my own hours. Unfortunately this project has been put on hold. I'm running plumbing to the tank that will allow me to fill my ato reservoir with a needle valve and stainless steel tubing coming out the wall.
Perfect man! I'm going to look over this!
  • 3 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

Thanks for all the help and info! I just sat down and finished this project up. I can't wait to get this in place.

Archived