SaltCritters.com

BioCube 29 equipment layout question

J Fox

Hi everyone -

Hoping to have a few questions answered concerning my first BioCube setup (actually first salt tank ever)

The question I have concerns the layout of equipment in back. Currently in first chamber I have the heater, chamber 2 has had both side flanges trimmed back and is equipped with InTank media basket, and Tunze skimmer. The final chamber has the upgraded pump.

I still have to add the ATO sensor, fill hose, and Neptune temp and Ph probes on a rack.

I purchased a Neptune probe holder and don't think it will fit anywhere width wise. I am looking at the Vertex Sensor-Mag probe holder as it is he narrowest of the bunch. My next question with that is if it goes in third chamber, will they have to be mounted low.... And then when pump is off does the "tide rise" in that chamber flooding the tops of probes ? Same question goes for the ATO level sensor.

Where have these two been mounted with success and what probe mount has worked for you ?

Thank you in advance for any advice you could offer ..

Jeff

As for the sensor probes I have no answer, But for the ATO I have a question.

Why would you turn the pump off and leave the ATO on? I would assume the only time you turn the pump off is when your cleaning, and your ATO should be turned off then too. Though my ATO doesn't do anything when the water level is too high if you will.

Yes the third chamber level rises when the pump is turned off... in my almost to the top... all the tank levels will equalize sort of speak.

Without owning one... my advice would be to move the probe while you are cleaning the tank and clean the probe "calibrate" while you are at it.

hope this helps.

My water level in chamber 3 remains very high.. within an inch of the surface.

You could probably mount the probes in such a way that the tops stay dry, if that is necessary. (Don't have any, have no clue). You could also mount the probes, and such in chamber 1. Much less variance in water level there. Again, if the tops need to stay dry, make sure they are when your pumps are off.

I'm getting ready to put a Hydor ATO on my BC29 in the pump chamber. I have the little Coralife skimmer in chamber one so there's no room for it in there. I'll just have to turn off the ATO when I shut down the pump. Not a big deal, there's a switch on the controller. I don't see any way around it because the water in the 3rd chamber definitely rises when the pump is shut down. BTW, I usually shut the return pump down when feeding.

Thanks for the replies..

I knew the ATO wouldn't be an issue with the water rising - other than set off the alarm and send me a message that there was a problem :) I guess my concern was mounting the probes. The ATO question was more of a how does everyone make it all fit and work.

Cape May NJ ! Im actually in Cape May about once a week - Picked up my Super Bowl Party wings at the oldest Tavern in Cape May :) Hope to relocate there some day :)

Thanks for the replies..

I knew the ATO wouldn't be an issue with the water rising - other than set off the alarm and send me a message that there was a problem :) I guess my concern was mounting the probes. The ATO question was more of a how does everyone make it all fit and work.

So I got it in and working last night. I used a suction cup hose clip on the lead from the sensor to stabilize it. Tested and working great. Only time will tell if it's a long term solution.

I to have questions but I have a 14 gal biocube.I'm new to the hobby and need info on whats necessary to buy first for the setup. I want to go rimless so I will not be having a hood. Thanks.

So I got it in and working last night. I used a suction cup hose clip on the lead from the sensor to stabilize it. Tested and working great. Only time will tell if it's a long term solution.

So far it's worked flawlessly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived