ReefCleaners.org

Can I drill a 34g mini?

Dramad1

I have this 34g mini just sitting here empty and it's bugging me. My problem is I don't like the rear aio set up.

So after thinking about it, removing the false wall would really open the tank up. Put a nice black lowprofile overflow against the black back in the center and a return on either side or overflow on one side return on the other.

Question is can I drill that glass? Has anyone drilled there cad tank?

I'm sure folks are asking why drill this expensive tank? Well reason is no one will fork out even half of what I paid, so why not keep it and mod it out a lil different than the rest.

I've actually thought heavily about doing this as well. I don't see why it wouldn't work, I doubt that it is tempered glass. Hopefully CAD will chime in and verify that though. I could actually see it working quite well as the footprint will be quite nice with the additional 4" in depth. I ended up not doing it as I just decided I want to downsize and going with something smaller.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, DZ

Sorry for the late reply. But yes, we use extra thick float glass for the 34G aquariums and the bottom and back can be drilled. avoid the front and side panels though as they are heat curved and is much harder to drill.

Thanks

Scott

Thanks for the reply, I ended up contacting you guy and got a response with in a few days. Tank has been drilled successfully and awaiting water. Curing rock and cleaning sand atm.

Archived