Innovative Marine Aquariums

scrambled egg zoas. NEED HELP

alexm2251

So the past week i have noticed that my scrambled egg zoas arent opening up except one polyp is open. this polyp that is open is fully extended. my duncan with 7 heads is giant now he is growing like no tomorrow. also the rest of my zoa frags are open and fully extended. so i dont know what it could be so if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

When was this zoa added to the tank? Was it quarantined? Did you dip it before adding it? I would suspect nudibranchs, spiders or some other pest. Can you take the zoas out of the tank and dip them? Inspect them for anything slug-like or spider-like.

Another possibility is that they are too close to another coral that is stinging/bothering them.

I had similar issues but not with scrambled eggs.. they actually are doing great. got a pack of zoas, 20 polyps plus of each, scrambled eggs, rasta, fruit loops, pink krak, magician, and sunny d. all did great initially and then my pink kraks started melting on me. I dipped everything that has gone into my tank. My fruit loops started to do the same thing but I moved them to more light and they have rebounded. I had split the pink kraks up into a few frags right when I got it. Had my wife take one to her office tank and I sold or gave away 2 of them. Those in my tank and the two that I sold or gave away all melted while the one I gave to my wife within a week of getting it are still alive. Those that were sold or given away had been in my system for a few months by the time I sold them.

I have my scrambled eggs at the top of the tank and they are loving the light and growing well for me. Some zoas just don't do well in different tanks. Why the pink kraks are still alive in my wifes tank and not mine? I don't know. When hers grow out I plan on getting a few polyps and trying again. All of my other zoas except the fruit loops are doing great but those are also rebounding for me.

• 1 year later...