inTank Media Baskets

GFO in IM reactor

Balix

Is there a good size GFO that works well with the IM reactor.

I tried phosban GFO and it bypassed the dual sponges even after a lot of rinsing. That GFO looks like mud when wet.

I use BRS GFO in my IM Reactor... I had the same issue as you when I first loaded mine up. The black sponges that come with the IM Reactor are too porous for GFO so I custom cut some of my PolyFilter sheets into circles that fit in there. Been doing the trick for almost a year now.

I use BRS GFO in my IM Reactor... I had the same issue as you when I first loaded mine up. The black sponges that come with the IM Reactor are too porous for GFO so I custom cut some of my PolyFilter sheets into circles that fit in there. Been doing the trick for almost a year now.

Good idea. Do you let it tumble or stay compacted between two pads? Was using phosguard but don't think my corals like it.

I tumbled it. You want GFO to tumble, while you want Carbon to NOT tumble. Carbon will rub and grind into dust and your tank will be gnarly, GFO is harder so it doesn't suffer from that.

I ran Phosguard for a little bit early on as well when I was getting pissed at the IM Reactor spitting GFO into my back chamber overflow... corals didn't seem to mind it but it does apparently have traces of metals in it that can irk some tank habitants.

Archived