Cultivated Reef

Whats everyone's water change schedule?

Davidwissman85

On my Nuvo 16 with no skimmer I do 1 gal. a day. Weekends sometimes two gal. a day. I feed the tank heavily and the small frequent w/c's seem to not stress the corals out at all. I do run GFO and Carbon in a reactor.

On my 50gal. I am doing 10 gal. on the weekend. Haven't dialed this tank in yet so that may change.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chipmunkofdoom2

On my standard 10g that I'm starting up, I'm going to do 2.5g a week (25%). This is for two reasons, the first is that it's a bare-bottom, no frills setup that has no filtration (aside from the live rock). The second is that I hope to not have to dose much, if at all, if I'm replacing that much water weekly.

On my standard 10g that I'm starting up, I'm going to do 2.5g a week (25%). This is for two reasons, the first is that it's a bare-bottom, no frills setup that has no filtration (aside from the live rock). The second is that I hope to not have to dose much, if at all, if I'm replacing that much water weekly.

If you won't be dosing, be careful with the salt you choose and consider making smaller, more frequent changes. You don't want the corals to bring alk down to 6dKH, then do a 25% water change with water that's 10 or 11dKH. The full point jump in just a few minutes will probably burn things.

chipmunkofdoom2

If you won't be dosing, be careful with the salt you choose and consider making smaller, more frequent changes. You don't want the corals to bring alk down to 6dKH, then do a 25% water change with water that's 10 or 11dKH. The full point jump in just a few minutes will probably burn things.

Yep, that's something to be aware of for sure. I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef and test each new batch, as well as the tank, before adding. New water consistently mixes up to 8 dKh, 425ppm CA. If it ever got to the point that I needed to supplement, I would, including new water to match current tank water. Just hoping to get away without.

About 10% (4G) weekly on my 36. It's a month old tank, so I want to make sure my water quality is on point. In the last week I've been doing a 3-4G water change every 3 days to slowly raise my salinity, due to my refractometer not being calibrated.

I'm also pretty positive that I over-feed, and only recently added chemi-pure and phosguard, so with the weekly w/c I haven't had problems with my parameters. I sometimes worry I'm not changing the water enough...

Whenever I get distilled water from the supermarket. So approximately a gallon or two a week on my 5. But with my doser finally resetup because of my frequent two week buisness trips I am at about a month no problems. I am actually worried that I may kill everything using Rcsp salt with a doser. Still have to top off my ato weekly however so is that like a water change.

• 2 weeks later...

On my 3 gallon- it's religious, I do a weekly water change of about 20% ( 2 liters) water change Wednesday, LOL.

On my 220, 60, 90 gallon whenever we deem necessary nothing so regular.

reefernanoman

1G weekly water changes for my Fusion 10G and 3G weekly water changes for my NC 28G. But I have done big water changes in between when I see a problem. Example: my GBTA inside my 10G looked bad for like 3 days, so I did a 3G WC yesterday and it's back to normal.

How do you measure % of water? For example i have a 16 gallon tank and do 4 gallon change every week. That is 25%. But i know i don't have 16 gallon of water in my tank. It is probably closer to 12 gallons or something because of rocks, pump, skimmer,etc.. So 4 gallon change is 33% every week instead of 25% actually.

I've been doing weekly 5g or more-ish on my 30g, but after reading some of the comments and realizing I haven't been calculating my sump volume (also 30g) maybe I should add another 5g...

Every once in awhile I'll skip a week.

I've been doing 8g weekly on my 40b.. Sometimes i miss a week.

Previous tank got like 4g once every 4months or so. It was a 15g. No issues, very healthy coral...

How do you measure % of water? For example i have a 16 gallon tank and do 4 gallon change every week. That is 25%. But i know i don't have 16 gallon of water in my tank. It is probably closer to 12 gallons or something because of rocks, pump, skimmer,etc.. So 4 gallon change is 33% every week instead of 25% actually.

I always just assumed 12 for my Nuvo 16, but when I went to dose alk I measured the before and after. Turns out I'm at 14 gallons (probably helped that I went barebottom).

I do 3 quarts a day via an AWC system. System has 35 gallons total water which is ~2% a day.

On my nano which has 9 gallons of water total I do 1 gallon per week which is ~ 10%.

I have been doing 25% every two weeks when I am running a skimmer, and 50% every two weeks on the small tanks without a skimmer.

I have been considering moving to 20% weekly for awhile just to see what happens.

Archived