ReefCleaners.org

Stocking my 175 L tank (40g?)

sidneysix

Hi I currently have a clownfish pair and a firefish. I have put together my list of fish i want to add to my stock over the next 6 months (with exception to the mandarin who will be added after this)

• x1 Royal Gramma
  • x1 Orange striped prawn goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
  • x5 yellow striped cardinals
  • x1 Peacock wrasse - female (Tank at 6 months mark)
  • x1 mandarin (Tank around 8-12 months mark)

What are peoples thoughts? Is it ok?

I would be careful with the peacock wrasse if you mean leopard wrasse like I think you do and the mandarin, both will want to eat pods all day long and make sure they are trained onto frozen foods!

ok, yes this was my only concern, Im going to definitely only purchase the mandarine if he is already eating frozen. I have seen some available who are. Then whilst he is in QT i as thinking of adding the mandarin den and putting his food in there and training him like that?

I'm definitely not an expert, there is a great thread about mandarin care that is pinned at the top of this section. The leopard wrasse will also need to eat a ton IIRC and can be picky as well.

Well welcome to the hobby! For me anyways, my stock lists always changed by the time it was ready for another fish. However, if I was you I would wait on the wrasse and mandarin until you have some more experience in the hobby. This is from someone who tried both of those fish early in the hobby and failed miserably.

I am concerned about your light. It doesn't really matter for the fish, but for the corals it matters a great deal. For a 40 gallon breeder, I think you need something like an AquaIllumination Hydra. If you just want a fowlr, light isn't an issue, but if you want to keep corals, a light is probably the largest expense. Maybe you have already replaced the light, but if it is still the wavepoint 8w, it can barely support a 6 gallon tank with corals.

I am concerned about your light. It doesn't really matter for the fish, but for the corals it matters a great deal. For a 40 gallon breeder, I think you need something like an AquaIllumination Hydra. If you just want a fowlr, light isn't an issue, but if you want to keep corals, a light is probably the largest expense. Maybe you have already replaced the light, but if it is still the wavepoint 8w, it can barely support a 6 gallon tank with corals.

Hiya, that light is my sump light, i have the tmc v2 illumanair 600 on my main tank which is perfect for corals.

I will bare that in mind regarding these fish, i was not planning on gettting them just yet, but once my tank matures. I have a solid plan set for when i go down this route which many other exerienced marine keepers have approved.

Archived