Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nitrate question Pico Reef 7G

LCB

Hi Friends, I have one question about the Nitrate in my Pico Reef, I mean... I have 50 ppm Salifert Test and 160ppm API Test. It's crazy because all my corals are happy, really happy and growing. I have montipora danae (two type) with the polyp opened. Euphyllia, Blastomussa Wellsi, montipora plate violet with the polyp blue (I see the polyp, amazing)

Somethihg are wrong, I don't know if my Reef or the Test.

Will be a chemical problem with the water that not allows the test function well?

I change 1,5 G (20%) water and the value are the same.

Sorry for my English, I live in Argentina.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,

My API test regularly tests nitrates higher than my Salifert, so it may just be the difference in the tests. If the nitrates are 50, a 20% water change would only lower nitrates to 40, and Salifert only shows the color difference between 25 or 50, so that may be why you aren't seeing a big change. I hate trying to decide between colors on the card anyway. Perhaps try a 50% water change and then see if the test shows a drop to 25?

Given the small volume of your system, you might consider doing even a larger change out of water, say 80 - 90%. That way you know you should see a test change.

Fun way to hunt nitrate:

Is it originating in the water, or is the water measure of nitrate a measure of stores somewhere else?

If you change water and that turns out to only be the place you measure the collective amounts produced by the real store, then it only stands that measure will return?

If we had to pick the number one place your aquarium is storing things that become nitrate, where would we look

Thank you for your answers. Yes, It's right I don't know where are the nitrate source. I don't have sustrate, only one fiji rock (3,5 Kg), in the sump, I don't have anything, It's clean, only some caulerpa algae (a bit). Don't have skimmer (I used one Nano NS-80 Reef Octopus before but the nitrate don't change) I removed that three days ago.

I attach somes picture, You will see the coral are really well. I don't authorize at put image in the post.

Regards,

post-88171-0-38906100-1454865987_thumb.jpg

post-88171-0-70915400-1454865989_thumb.jpg

post-88171-0-49136900-1454866048_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry much that's a really well planned out setup. Those corals are pretty nice size they have mass to maintain

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry

If algae isn't an issue that also adds to lesser concern, considering how hobby test kits can range my main focus would be making sure rocks have been cleaned of detritus and that no sandbeds in the tank are in need of cleaning

Although algae turf filters and biopellets are two anti nitrate modes if your tank was mine I wouldn't concern much as long as clear stores of detritus aren't hidden or accumulated

I do large water changes as those have mentioned above and due to my sandbed my measures will be higher than a bare bottom setup, but the nutrients are good for my system too. I feel the ecosystem will tell you when there's a nitrate problem

A large water change is refreshing for our nanos even if they aren't the best nitrate dealings, I do large water changes always. Blast feed the corals and do a large water change to boost them occasionally.

Archived