Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 14 pump upgrade?

LeCharlesMuhDickens

LeCharlesMuhDickens

I've read about a lot of folks upgrading the stock pump to the maxi jet 900. I was going to buy one then I found a 1200 laying around that I was using to mix water. Would the 1200 be too much flow?

Funny, I tried a MJ 1200 in my Biocube 14 and it seemed like too much flow. So, that is my water change pump.

I am running a MJ900 in the tank now.

A guy at my LFS has a 14 and he is going to use an oversize pump and use a splitter at the supply nozzle.

LeCharlesMuhDickens

Funny, I tried a MJ 1200 in my Biocube 14 and it seemed like too much flow. So, that is my water change pump.

I am running a MJ900 in the tank now.

A guy at my LFS has a 14 and he is going to use an oversize pump and use a splitter at the supply nozzle.

I was considering that too, maybe running the 1200 with dual return nozzles. I'm trying to avoid adding an additional power head inside the tank, I hate the look of equipment in the display.

It's worth a try. The wire in the display does look bad and is a pain to clean around.

I have found it is hard to find a power head that can be dialed down so it is not too much flow for the tank.

Going to put my Tunze Turabelle back in the tank this week. It works OK but adds a wire in the display.

LeCharlesMuhDickens

It's worth a try. The wire in the display does look bad and is a pain to clean around.

I have found it is hard to find a power head that can be dialed down so it is not too much flow for the tank.

Going to put my Tunze Turabelle back in the tank this week. It works OK but adds a wire in the display.

Think I will, I'm going to see if I can plumb it with some lock line and utilize dual outlets.

This has been a popular upgrade path for a long time with the Biocubes. The general consensus though has been that the MJ1200 wasn't worth the extra flow at the cost of extra heat. The increase in wattage isn't proportional to the extra flow, so you get a hotter tank for a mild increase in flow over the MJ900.

If you do plan on getting the MJ900, get the Cobalt one, not the crap Marineland one. The Cobalts are the old Italian made Maxijets, and are far more reliable, as well as quieter.

LeCharlesMuhDickens

I have a hydor 300 and at only 7w you get more flow and lesss heat. I tried the mj900 and was still running hot. The 300 is rated over 1200lph

Good to know, I'm not set on any particular model, just want more flow and decent quality.

I belive it's 1365lph if my math is correct. Hydor products are always a +1 for me. I also got a nano240 that doesn't add heat. Keep in mind the pump may not be your biggest problem.Even after moving to these pumps my temps wouldn't come down. What I had to do for temp purposes was lift the feeding lid and leave it open. My 24g went down 4 degrees when I did this. As soon as it closed the digital thermometer started ticking upwards .1 at a time. Finally I took it off.(looks better than a lid staight up) Now 8m down around 76 lights off-78 with lights on.

Archived