Coral Vue Hydros

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

This tank has been in the planning stage for a very long time. Like 30 years long. I have wanted a tank of this size since I was a kid. Parents said no, apartment was way too small, wife said not with little kids around. Finally, because of a fortunate (?) accident I was able to put together this monster in my office.
When I bought my office 17 years ago, I inherited a VERY poorly designed salt water aquarium built into the waiting room wall. The tank was about 500 gallons, acrylic in a strange off set shape. There was a tiny (4”x4”) corner overflow that drained into a wet/dry filter. There was no live rock,no powerheads, just some plastic plants and some fish that were being replaced nearly monthly because no one in the office knew what they were doing and every maintenance company that came in to service the tank wanted to do a major overhaul to the system but could never keep things alive. Then the overflow cracked. I got tired of pouring money down the drain trying to keep salt in a system that couldn’t support it and converted the tank to a freshwater pond and stocked it with koi. This is what it looked like until about two months ago.
pc345eR.jpg
yCh9kgQ.jpg
AHVGHY1.jpg
Then I noticed that the top braces had fractured and the front wall of the tank was starting to bow out. Before I ended up with 500 gallons of water on the floor, I decided that now was the time to finally get my big boy saltwater tank. So, this happened.
OOzlNQH.jpg
After talking with a few tank manufacturers I settled on a 260 gallon tank with a central overflow and 100 gallon sump. I knew it was going to take several weeks to get the tank made and equipment ordered, so I set about looking for someone to help with the demo and reconstruction. Once I was able to secure a finish date for the tank, demo started….
yrq1fvg.jpg
Tv7KKGY.jpg
Of course we found mold…
LdYdMD4.jpg
that was removed and reframing for the new design began.
NU06z0W.jpg
Fpn226y.jpg
With framing complete, we moved the tank in to place.

Sump first-
AERy27J.jpg
The sump has four chambers for 1. mechanical filtration, 2. skimmer and possible (probable) reactor, 3. refugium, 4, return pump.
Then the beast (already got the sand in)-

Ev1YjNw.jpg
Time to unpack the equipment:
AeWWUgt.jpg
wspcPGW.jpg
Add some rock:
qeTVArN.jpg
and mix up some water:
OTOOWyg.jpg
It’s wet!
9eIcFfW.jpg
NXW51XQ.jpg
OZyW9hm.jpg
Skimmer is a beast and already pulling the crud from the water
kb12Aai.jpg
gSu78VB.jpg
The rock work in this tank is going to remain relatively simple. I wanted some room to place some corals that I can let grow to large sizes. This is going to be predominantly LPS and softies as far as corals go. The main focus however is going to be the fish. I wanted a very open scape with plenty of swimming room. There are a few caves and overhangs where fish can hide if they want to. Water was still cloudy so I will post better pictures once it clears.
ENsZwdy.jpg
49oVskW.jpg

f4DyZ7A.jpg

Tomorrow we will begin hanging drywall and doing the finish work. I’ll post more pics as things progress.

Now to wait out the cycle. The rock has been cooking in vats for the past 8 weeks. I am also adding a few pieces of live rock from my existing nano tank sumps. I added a few cubes of homemade fish food and a generous dose on MB7. I have a shipment of new live rock scheduled to arrive the 18th which I will use to round out the “reef” look so the islands don’t look so disconnected. By then we should be ready to begin adding the livestock.

The planned stock list includes mostly predators: lionfish, triggers, an eel, possibly a stingray, a grouper, and large wrasses along with a few grazers: a blue hippo, kole, and naso tangs, and a foxface.
Corals will include: gorgonians, leathers, euphillia, trachyphillia, acans, duncans and palys for sure and possibly a few montiporas.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks awesome man. Just drywall going to be hung on the outside or do you have more in-depth plans?

That is awesome! Hey what did the LFS charge you to deliver all that salt water. JK :lol:

No he isn't a noob and knows how to mix his water! DURRRRR

This looks awesome man. Just drywall going to be hung on the outside or do you have more in-depth plans?

No he isn't a noob and knows how to mix his water! DURRRRR

There will be an oak access door on the top in front. Otherwise just the drywall and trim work.

Twitch! Excellent work my friend :) way ####### impressive

Thank you, Sir!

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

You got it wet before you skinned the wood? That's love. :wub:

I've got corals packed into both my other tanks as well as fish in quarantine. Need to get that cycle rolling so I can move things asap. Drywall and trim can go up while those bacteria are working.

:lol: I had the same thought - I wouldn't be able to wait either.

Are you worried about water on the carpet in the sump area? Noticed it looked like it was just sitting on the carpet with nothing under it?

I've got corals packed into both my other tanks as well as fish in quarantine. Need to get that cycle rolling so I can move things asap. Drywall and trim can go up while those bacteria are working.

Lol that's the spirit.

Are you worried about water on the carpet in the sump area? Noticed it looked like it was just sitting on the carpet with nothing under it?

Not really. There is concrete directly under carpet and it is industrial grade so easy to clean. Haven't had an issue with carpet under a tank in that location in 20 years. Of course now that you brought it up there will be an issue... :closedeyes:. I'm more worried about moisture in the walls. That's where we found mold during demo.

Not really. There is concrete directly under carpet and it is industrial grade so easy to clean. Haven't had an issue with carpet under a tank in that location in 20 years. Of course now that you brought it up there will be an issue... :closedeyes:. I'm more worried about moisture in the walls. That's where we found mold during demo.

Do you have any ventilation in there? I know a friend who had a nice in wall set up had one hell of a fan pulling moisture and heat out.

gulfsurfer101

I would use hardibacker board or cement board on the inside. It's moisture resistant and will not mold. You can always run sheetrock on the outside and no-one would ever know any different.

Do you have any ventilation in there? I know a friend who had a nice in wall set up had one hell of a fan pulling moisture and heat out.

There is now. A vent fan in the ceiling plus a louvered panel in the back wall. And the access door to the room is propped every night and all weekend when no patients are around.

I would use hardibacker board or cement board on the inside. It's moisture resistant and will not mold. You can always run sheetrock on the outside and no-one would ever know any different.

We are. :D

Throw in the skimmate from your other tanks to help speed up the cycle.

Archived