Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

8/8/04 - Dosing Calcium

Christopher Marks

Originally posted by SBF

i dont have a calcium test kit... do i have to have one for adding calcium, i plan on not over doing it, jsut adding a few drops a week

Should always test before you add. Calcium and Alkalinity test kits are a must if you plan to add calcium supplements manually.

I tried not to add anything and just do water changes consistently...even used the Catalina Water for weekly water changes (expensive), but my calcium levels never went above 340.

So I asked around and gave Seachem's stuff a try. I always test before I add, and adjust accordingly (i.e. skip the scheduled dosing or stick to the schedule)...

I add 3 things in succession (leave about 15 minutes between each) twice a week (Sundays and Wednesdays)...1) Seachem Reef Plus, 2) Seachem Reef Calcium, and 3) Seachem Reef Complete...

I keep a bottle of Seachem Reef Carbonate handy just in case my alkalinity drops...but hasn't been a problem yet. Last two are for Calcium, but I like the Reef Plus for the other trace elements...My calcium stays at 410-460 and my alkalinty is stable at 3.2. Oh, added benefit is amazingly fast coralline growth. My corals grow super fast now too; something that wasn't apparent at all before I started this routine a month ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to dose if you use oceanic and do a 10% weekly water change...You need to dose if you use coralife, as i used to on my first reef. WOAH BIG MISTAKE. lol. It was cheap, i was 15, o well..

I use Tropic Marin Pro salt which is calcium enriched. TMC in the UK use tropic marin and they are the biggest wholesale livestock supplier in the UK so I trust their choice in this area. It gives me all the calcium my tank needs between water changes. I did used to add calcium as a seperate dose but as the salt is enriched theres no need. Also with such a small volume of water I found it difficult to judge the doses when adding calcium seperatley and thats using test kits!

I don't want to endanger my livestock I have in my nano by adding a random dose of calcium as some people do and I don't awant to be forever adjusting the levels if a water change will do it in one go. A stable tank is a happy tank in my experience.

Cheers!

• 5 years later...

Hello friends!

I want to invite you all to play with me at GP Latale Online - GamesPirate.com.

If you want to join me in this great game, or you want to join one of the other games that GamesPirate.com has,

please click on the following links:

Main Site: http://gamespirate.com

Forums: http://forum.gamespirate.com

Game Site: http://latale.gamespirate.com

Note:

This message was provided by "GP Latale" to be used in our advertising system.

We take no responsibility for the misuse of this system.

• 2 years later...

2-part ESV Bionic: 8 time/day or every 3 hours in very small amounts via Reef Angel dosing pumps (2 seconds on/off).

2 grams of Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium every 4-5 days via ATO water.

3Gal water change every 7-10 days with ESV salt & RO/DI water.

Archived