inTank Media Baskets

8/8/04 - Dosing Calcium

Christopher Marks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was consistantly measuring Ca levels at around 340 and I picked up some kent liquid reacto. It didnt help my levels. I swithched to b-ionic and noe measure Ca at around 410.

I have a 5.5g tank with a LOT of evaporation. I am worried that using kalk as topoff will over do it and cause a pH spike. Right now I use B-ionic but don't like having to sit there and drip it in manually. I think I am going to mix up a batch of kalk and drip it VERY slowly (not enough to top off) and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 2 part 'Oceans Blend' in my 5.5 and I am very ahppy with it. I keep my CA and Alk dialed in as long as I test every few weeks to catch any changes in system demands. www.thelogicalreef.com sells the stuff, I got the big gallon jugs and they are going to last me a long time. At most I dose 5ml of each a day, so for about 30 bucks for a gallon of each, it will last me a LONG time.

I just use Kent Liquid Calcium and monitor with a test kit. I end up dosing twice the maximum dosing each day to keep my calcium levels up, so perhaps there is a better way. I did little research on calcium supps, so I am not sure that is a good way to go. I do have great coralline algae growth (light purple, deep purple, red, pink).

Anyone else use Kent only? Should I be using something better?

I add 3 drops of salfert calcium after every time I change out 2 gallons of water. The level of calcium stays at 420-460, and drops slowly during the week. This seems to work for me for now. Alkalinity checks out well, and so does pH.

bobbyb323...i've used the tropic marin as well for years with very good success imo. Its a balanced additive as well. Has never given me problems. Very good coraline growth, and keeps my Ca above 400. I currently use it on a 26 bow, with kalk used exclusively for makeup. I do think i will start using baking soda to raise my alk a bit though. Its testing right at 3 meq/l. I would prefer it a bit higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I dose Kalkwasser using an airpump, floatswitch, and a one gallon bottle. It works well and i get so much evaporation due to all my fans and lights (20k 175w, 65w act, 2x19w daylite over 15g) that im able to dose about a gallon a day on a slow slow drip. Pump kicks off when water level rises to predetermined point via floatswitch. Total hands free top off and dosing! PM if interested in further instruction..

Originally posted by MrKrispy

Salifert All-in-one is something I am working on testing. It is calcium acetate. It also includes strontium (not thrilled about) and amino acids. However, the big plus is you maintain calcium and alkalinity. You can increase amounts based on biological demand. It is expensive for larger tanks but the small $8 bottle should last most nano reefs 6-8 months.

Where did you get this product?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is untraditional but, I sent a sample of my well water off to my state lab to be tested before I decided to go RO/DI or not for top off I chose not to

Hardness as CaCO3(Ca,Mg) 37mg/l

Alkalinity 0 mg/l

Other than that and 2-3 time weekly Pickle lime slurrys in the morning when the ph is lowest & zero water changes,nothing.

Everything fairs great

note:this is on my very large system that evaporates 5-7 gal per day.I have just recently set up my nano system that consists of a 10 gal with a drilled 10gal above it as a fuge and have yet to get into habit with its Calcium replacment , I was thinking of mabey 1/2 doses of B-ionic as well as mabey Aragamilk in 1/4 to 1/2 dosages.

but for now same as above just less water added and once weekly kalk slurry

so far so good :)

Well as long as we're testing, I only test for calk, alk, and Storntium, that being said, I top off with distilled water premixed with Iodine, Iodide, Strontium, and Calk. I use recommend amounts, and the idoide and iodine I do every other top off jug so not to overdose. My xenia love me, and look like dandelions in summer, there everywhere!! My calk is over 340 with my Hagen test kit. so everything is doing ok, I try to just go by works, if I swithc or change my system around too much, it gets dicey, but the ocean is stable so best to stick with what works, and this works for me. I try to do weekly 1 gallon water changes. I also though which will frek everyone out have a DSB in my nano....its 5-6 inches all around. I think that along with simmer seems to keep things in check, and dosing helps keep the corals flourishing. cool thread by the way sorry I'm long winded.

I have a few corals in my tank, such as two Monticaps, a Goniopora, and also a maxima clam that require some dosing of calcium.

I dose only twice a week with Salifert Calcium with alot of success keeping the calcium levels around 400-460. After the 2 gallon water change to my 12g nano cube, I shake up the Salifert calcium bottle, which leaks btw : (, and add 4-5 drops, that is equivilent to less than 1ml. Then 4 days later I add 2 more drops.

All other levels, such as Alkalinity, dkH, pH are very good, and stable.

I use Instant Ocean salt : P

Originally posted by SDA619

i read alot about this preparing ur own mix with pickling  lime and vinegar... can someone actually go into detail how to mix it and how much to dose how often per let say 10gal.

Not sure if any one answered this,

I make a gallon of kalk at a time.

You will need 2 - 1 gallon containers

1 gal. ro/di or distilled water

1 tablespoon distilled white vinigar 5% acidity,

1 teaspoon pickling lime

Mix well and let set over night. (may need additional mixing and resting time)

I mix 1 cup of kalk to 1 gal. ro/di or distilled water.

Top off as needed

If cal. tests are not up high enough just add more kalk to water, if to high add less. Pretty simple.

or use kalk mix straight in drip.

• 4 weeks later...

for a nano 50% or less, weekly, how do you know how to balance the rest of the soup , and will you keep this up . Quote . 2old soon 2 late smart.

Archived