Coral Vue Hydros

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

"Digital high definition .45 super wide angle lens with the macro Japan optics"

"Canon zoom lens EF 75-300mm 1.45.6 III"

" Canon EFS 1855mm image stabilizer macro .25m/.8 ft "

"Digital high definition 2x telephoto lens Japan Optics"

(Camera is T3i)

Your pics look really good, especially for your 1st session man good job! :) As far as pictures of the lenses if you list the numbers off the lenses that would likely do more good... IE. 18-55mm, 90mm, 50mm, 55-200mm and macro lenses will typically state they are macro lenses. IF you don't have a good macro lens already I really like my Tamron, it is a 60mm but for my camera it is the equivalent to a 90mm. It is fairly cheap as far as macro lenses go, but seems to be good quality and is also really good for portraits as well IME.

I can give you and going Harold some tips when I get to a computer. For you specifically, better lenses can make up for inexperience QUICK. Photos from my first time picking up a 9 year old DSLR with a decent $500 lens still trump my fairly decent skills with a slightly newer camera with a cheap lens.

"Digital high definition .45 super wide angle lens with the macro Japan optics"

"Canon zoom lens EF 75-300mm 1.45.6 III"

" Canon EFS 1855mm image stabilizer macro .25m/.8 ft "

"Digital high definition 2x telephoto lens Japan Optics"

(Camera is T3i)

The 1st is likely the only "true" macro. The 3rd will likely work for pretty close shots but not quite macro. The 2nd is more of a landscape/ portrait type of lens I believe.

None of those are true (1:1) macro lenses. But you can always crop tighter to get more detail.

I also need a tripod... I tried that .45 macro and couldn't get myself to stop shaking at such high sensitivity/zoom.

Transfer going down today?

Dunno. Why not Monday?

I was very confident to begin with but y'all made me nervous as hell that there would be a massive RTN of everything if I transferred before it cycled.

Dunno. Why not Monday?

I was very confident to begin with but y'all made me nervous as hell that there would be a massive RTN of everything if I transferred before it cycled.

I don't think it has anything to do with a cycle, more just an established tank - until that point, levels of stuff will fluctuate. But there's not really a way to get an instant established tank that I know of anyway.

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with a cycle, more just an established tank - until that point, levels of stuff will fluctuate. But there's not really a way to get an instant established tank that I know of anyway.

Yeah I agree... So no harm waiting another week? I don't have detectable anything yet and am still learning- like when do I change filter socks?

Yeah I agree... So no harm waiting another week? I don't have detectable anything yet and am still learning- like when do I change filter socks?

Put some ammonium chloride in there if you want to make sure your bacteria is set

• Like 1

No harm waiting a couple more weeks really especially if your unsure of anything , why risk it. SPS are alot more sensitive to the changes of swapping over and your new sand isn't going to help. Are you adding new rock at all if so get it in the tank right now if it isn't already and let it cycle a bit before you mess with stuff and put your corals needlessly at risk. ;)

Change socks every day or two, after you've cycled atleast. They are just detritus/ food traps and will catch stuff to break it down before the skimmer can remove it so it doesn't break down in the tank as much ;)

you know you have to change socks when the first sock overflows to the next one. you can easily tell.

Oh thats happening already lol... I guess its time to change!

• Like 1

Yep!

Sweet man I'm a freshman in college. You're doing much better at this than I am at this point lol. Good luck with your new build! I bet it's going to be great. Maybe some TOTM material later on??!

• Like 1

Just a little advice to save a lot of money on filter socks. You can buy Morning Glory polyester fiber for $20 for 5lbs. It's a huge box and lasts me more than 6 months just make sure it doesn't have the flame retardant chemicals as some other varieties may have it. Just grab a ball big enough to plug the hole for the sock and replace it every 3-5 days for best results.

• Like 1

Just a little advice to save a lot of money on filter socks. You can buy Morning Glory polyester fiber for $20 for 5lbs. It's a huge box and lasts me more than 6 months just make sure it doesn't have the flame retardant chemicals as some other varieties may have it. Just grab a ball big enough to plug the hole for the sock and replace it every 3-5 days for best results.

Or get a crapper trapper :)

That is such a Ben comment :)

:lol: My brain sometimes works when the blond hair doesn't get in the way ;)

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350