inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Harrys Riddikulus Reefer 350!

Riddikulus-harry-potter-30236902-391-500

Here is 5/2018:

VkhYf5R.jpg

This is the thread for for my Reefer 350- a crazy hodgepodge of whatever corals or invertebrates I impulsivly decide put in this pretty glass box! 

Equipment:

• (Used) Red Sea Reefer 350 
  • (Used) Apex Lite w. 2EB8, LSM, and BOB.   Apex 2016, DOS, Trident (Old LITE went to frag tank) 
  • (Used) Reef Octopus DC3500 (New) Reef Octopus VARIOS 6. (Old one didn't go bad, won one)
  • (New) Vortech MP40wQD Powerhead
  • (Used) Aquamaxx CO-1 Skimmer
  • (New) 2x Jebao PP4 
  • (New)Jebao Doser  (Became unreliable)
  • (Used) 2x BRS 1.1ml dosers Replaced with 
  • (Used) IM Midsize Reactor  (Offline, no need to run carbon)
  • (New) NanoBox Refugium Light 
  • (Used) ATI 6x54w Sunpower  (Changed 2/17/18)
  • (Used) ATI 8x54w Sunpower 
  • Bulb combo: Coral +, Blue +, Coral +, Purple +, Blue +, Coral +  (Changed 2/17/18)
  • Bulb Combo: ATI Coral +, Blue+, Actinic+, Blue+, Actinic+, Blue+, Actinic+ Coral+ (Started 2/17/18)
  •  

Special thanks to everyone that put up with me in my first build here, I have learned so much and am excited to have a blank slate to start from using all the knowledge and advice given by members here :)

• Like 35
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

The Journey Begins :lol: It all goes downhill now :o Good luck Hairball and don't flood the parents house :P

Considering he plans on filling a 91 gallon system with 92gallons of water I think he's off to a great start :lol:

• Like 9

Considering he plans on filling a 91 gallon system with 92gallons of water I think he's off to a great start :lol:

Who needs rock, sand or room in the sump to prevent overflows :P

• Like 3
Marc.The.Shark

Man, I love those reefer tanks! How the hell are you gonna drag that one off to college!? Lol. Looks like its Trade School for you! Hahaha.

• Like 4

Nice! where's the scar?

Waiting for when I bang my head on the light bar :)

The Journey Begins :lol: It all goes downhill now :o Good luck Hairball and don't flood the parents house :P

Thanks... Ill try! Was pretty easy to setup; didn't even need instructions. Attached pipes, leak test bulkheads, and filled.

Ha! 91 gallons, true. But the skimmer takes up one while its running :P

Who needs rock, sand or room in the sump to prevent overflows :P

Nobody! Fill that sump to the brim!

Miami never has power outages so he's good

I have both a UPS installed in the stand that gives the return pump over an hour and a Ecotech battery Backup to give a powerhead 36-72 hours depending on the mode/model.

Nice Tank!

looking forward to the progress!

Thanks!

Man, I love those reefer tanks! How the hell are you gonna drag that one off to college!? Lol. Looks like its Trade School for you! Hahaha.

That ones going to stay! It'll stay up during college I believe, especially if I get it as low maintenance as my current tank

The RSRs really are beautiful tanks.

Thanks!

Will probably make more money and no student loan debt if goes to trade school!

Ha! True! But some state schools are free with IB dipoma/bright futures/psat

E0137A79-C90E-4CE0-9E5F-E6CD7F5AE0C0_zps

• Like 4

reefer 350 buddies

Yes! Get the lights and lid yet? Any advice for me?

I set the water level 1" below the emergency overflow as recommended while the pump is at about 750gph after head loss, not bad but I will definitely try full power later. It feels underpowered for this setup, but I am a newbie to sumps and stella says more flow does not equal more efficiency in the sump.

• Like 1

reefer 350 buddies

Ninja, I heard you were interested in making a refugium in your reefer. I was researching the same and found this kit for the center chamber- perfect for a refugium that prevents nasty shit from getting in your skimmer

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-06%20at%204.16.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-06%20at%204.17.1

• Like 2

Also you might want to contact Ecotech about mounting there back up upside down. Not sure if the batteries could leak etc.

I already did, they said it is a sealed battery and they have done testing in all positions with no issues. That was a concern of mine as well but I did not want to mount it so that the cords were inaccessible at the bottom. There are a bunch of threads on that topic too in which EcoTech has responded with it is okay

• Like 1

Yes! Get the lights and lid yet? Any advice for me?

I set the water level 1" below the emergency overflow as recommended while the pump is at about 750gph after head loss, not bad but I will definitely try full power later. It feels underpowered for this setup, but I am a newbie to sumps and stella says more flow does not equal more efficiency in the sump.

Because less flow allows the sump to work better for you. Gives a better chance for skimmer, reactors, etc. to actually work and pull crap out of the water rather than just massively circulating it through your system. You should get flow for your corals and such from powerbeads in the DT, not your return pump. I posted two articles that talk about this in your other thread.

• Like 4
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350