Top Shelf Aquatics

How do you deal with the end of a cycle that wont zero out?

MLS_Reef

OK i have been cycling for well over a month. the nitrite spike is non evident.

My nitrates will not zero out, and this is the first time i have ever had this problem.

I'm down to 10 ppm but it required water changes.

My cycle was from dirty live rock and live sand in a tank that had been drained and left to sit for a few weeks. so i expected a weird cycle and alot of nitrates..

How do you handle weird cycles and extended cycle times?

Your nitrATE won't zero out? As long as your ammonia and nitrite are 0, and nitrates are low you can add fish. NitrATE is not as toxic to corals and fish. In fact, my tank is constantly 5ppm no matter what, and thats where I like to keep it. Some people like to run low nutrient tanks, but I find my corals hated that (probably has some thing to do with the balance between alk and nutrients)

Yeah, I have never cycled where the no3 does not zero out, i am wondering if this is going to be problematic later on when i add fish..

Only way to get nitrate out would either be with macroalgae or mangroves, or with anaerobic bacteria in a deep sand bed really deep in your live rock. I would just dose another dose of ammonia and make sure it all gets converted to nitrate within 24 hours. Then do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate and you'll be good to go.

Simulated Fish

Yeah, I have never cycled where the no3 does not zero out, i am wondering if this is going to be problematic later on when i add fish..

If your tank is processing ammonia>nitrite> nitrate withing 24 then you are good to go. My Biocube and my buddies tanks never have less then 5-10ppm nitrates and never will.

It is finial step in the cycle and why we do WC, excluding DSP and other "outside the normal" filtration methods.

Fill that tank!

Only way to get nitrate out would either be with macroalgae or mangroves, or with anaerobic bacteria in a deep sand bed really deep in your live rock. I would just dose another dose of ammonia and make sure it all gets converted to nitrate within 24 hours. Then do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate and you'll be good to go.

Ok I have never done anything this small before.. my smallest system has been 40 gallons and it seems as if macro algae would have to be as big as my tank to process the nitrate. (its a ten gallon fusion)

If your tank is processing ammonia>nitrite> nitrate withing 24 then you are good to go. My Biocube and my buddies tanks never have less then 5-10ppm nitrates and never will.

It is finial step in the cycle and why we do WC, excluding DSP and other "outside the normal" filtration methods.

Fill that tank!

Ok I was really wondering about this... really in a system like this the water change is or can override your no3 contribution..

I did a small experiment before. My 10 gallon QT's nitrate was through the roof, like 120+. I tossed in a ball of chaeto and just put a regular cool white CFL bulb on top. In less than a week it dropped to 0.

Ok I have never done anything this small before.. my smallest system has been 40 gallons and it seems as if macro algae would have to be as big as my tank to process the nitrate. (its a ten gallon fusion)

Simulated Fish

Ok I was really wondering about this... really in a system like this the water change is or can override your no3 contribution..

A small amount of the right macro can do wonders,but yes weekly WC will be the best way for you to manage nitrates.

• 1 month later...

Those Nitrates won't harm your livestock. But it might grow nuisance algae. It is removed by the following methods:

1. Water change. My least favorite but most people's #1.

2. Refugium / Feed it to weeds - add Chaeto or other plants/algae that will turn it into plant mass.

3. Feed it to bacteria. Typically liquid nitrate remover or Biopellets in a reactor. You will need a skimmer for this.

3 B. Deep Sand Bed or Nitrate Reactor that creates and feeds anaerobic zones for the bacteria.

yep - sounds normal to me. Nitrates will not disappear on their own, mine are consumed by chaeto. You're ready for some frags!

Archived