Top Shelf Aquatics

New dry dead rock to 2 month old tank.

SithRico

My scape broke on me. I used jb water weld to hold it. Now I see I need more rock for a sturdy hold. Ordering from reef cleaners that's what is in there now. So my question is can or should I use the water weld or us the epoxy for corals or superglue gel? I don't want to mess up my parameters I just got them steady. Just not sure if the water weld is safe for the tank. I have a cuc, two fish and 1 frag of zoas.

Those epoxy's or super glue are both fine just turn off your skimmer for 24 hours if you use epoxy. Some but not all can make it go crazy.

As far as the dry rock, I would cure it first if you're adding more than a few pieces. I've had both BRS pukani and reef cleaners rock kick off a cycle in a new tank. I still can't explain what caused it but something in or on the rock produced enough ammonia to cause concern. I'd be very cautious adding too much to an established tank.

I've used the JB Water weld a few times without any negative results.

I use a sandwich method. So rock A, superglue gel, epoxy putty, more superglue gel, rock B. I think this gives a good bond, but yes you need to support the rocks depending on how you have them. It helps to have a hole to shove the epoxy putty into. I'll use small pieces of rock to support at the base, and so I don't have to use so much putty. Then support the rocks until the epoxy cures (1-2 hours I believe) and then it should be good.

I use underwater coral epoxy. To make everything a little stronger I drill 3/8" holes and insert acrylic rods. Dry rock drills pretty easy with a masonry bit and a regular drill. The rods support everything and the epoxy keeps the pieces from shifting/moving.

I would get the extra dry rock but i would run it under RO water befor i put it in ther tank just in case there is anything harmful on it. also i dont think the glue will affect the parameters of the tank.

gulfsurfer101

Those epoxy's or super glue are both fine just turn off your skimmer for 24 hours if you use epoxy. Some but not all can make it go crazy.

As far as the dry rock, I would cure it first if you're adding more than a few pieces. I've had both BRS pukani and reef cleaners rock kick off a cycle in a new tank. I still can't explain what caused it but something in or on the rock produced enough ammonia to cause concern. I'd be very cautious adding too much to an established tank.

That pukani that people sell in boxes comes directly from the reef so one it dries there's your source of ammonia right there. The problem with that as well is that giving it acid bath eats away at it so much. I've used hydraulic concrete to bond rock together successfully. You'll need to cure it a couple days before adding it though. I'll be experimenting with hydraulic concrete mixed with bone colored sanded grout for a better more natural color to bond rock with.

That pukani that people sell in boxes comes directly from the reef so one it dries there's your source of ammonia right there. The problem with that as well is that giving it acid bath eats away at it so much. I've used hydraulic concrete to bond rock together successfully. You'll need to cure it a couple days before adding it though. I'll be experimenting with hydraulic concrete mixed with bone colored sanded grout for a better more natural color to bond rock with.

I thought pukani was mined rock as well. That would definitely explain why it caused ammonia spikes every time I've used it.

Check out the cement that marco rocks sells. It's not the cheapest but you don't have the issues that come with hydraulic cement.

gulfsurfer101

I've never had issues with hydraulic cement and I already have a good portion of both it and grout. All marco does is add more sand to his mix. I've never seen ph rise more than a couple days to a week.

Archived