inTank Media Baskets

Refrigerating reef chili, reef roids etc..

masssnapz

How long is this good for after its mixed if kept refrigerated. I like to mix reef chili, reef roids and reef chili all together and it's really strong. I target feed sparingly and always have a lot left over.

Davidwissman85

Well... You could do a smell test, mix it smell it, remebr that smell, then smell as you feed... Just like our food... Also I wouldn't keep it too long (over a week or two) and try to figure out how to mix small amounts. You could also freeze it into small ice cubes and thaw as you use...

I would suggest mixing what you plan on using, even if it's a tiny amount. Refrigeration may slow the process of breaking down, but you risk adding excess amounts of nitrates and phosphates. Why not alternate the foods when feeding and not combine them?

I should have elaborated more. I started mixing when I came across a pretty far gone scolymia. The only way I could trigger a feed response from the poor little guy was by mixing in the coral frenzy which is pretty stinky with the reef chili which was the perfect size for him to latch onto in his weakened state. Since then I noticed that my other corals go into a crazy feed mode when there is coral frenzy in the water but not when just reef chili is in the water column. Reef chili is what I prefer to feed because it has larger pieces that LPS can grab onto.

Archived