SaltCritters.com

SPS Growth very slow

dropped

Hi guys wondering if you can see any issues with this setup, im getting very slow SPS growth, wondering if im doing something wrong.

Tank has been up and running for 7 months, is mainly SPS, although has been a mix in the past

Size 600mm x 450mm x 450mm (30 Gallons / 130 liters )

Currently running a maxspect razor 160watt, sun rise 11am sunset 9.30 PM hitting a maximum of 70%. The light is wider than the tank so 70% is quite bright.

Water flow 2 x rw4 running at 90% flow

Water changes - normally 10 - 20% per week.

Dosing - Bubble magnus, dosing red sea A, B, C supplements. had a bit of a alk dip recently, but this is now back to normal.

test results.

aquarium8501.png

D47CD81C-DA3A-4BD6-9FAA-AC63376F2E47.jpg

4618F4F4-7E8F-4536-93D6-2B124FA0970A.jpg

What's your NO3 and PO4 at?

Edit, NM just saw your test stats. Tank might be too clean if you're actually measuring 0 on both with a good test kit.

Edit, NM just saw your test stats. Tank might be too clean if you're actually measuring 0 on both with a good test kit.

This

What test kit do you use for PO4? You should try to SLIGHTLY raise nitrate and phosphate. Aim for nitrate to be 1-2 and PO4 around .1

chipmunkofdoom2

reason?

+1. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence to conclude that higher alk levels correlate with faster or better SPS calcification. There are accounts out there, sure, but none of them that are done in any scientific manner. There are just as many established reefers who say that stability is much more important than a number.

Your parameters look fine. Are you getting good polyp extension? Do the SPS look "happy" where they are currently located?

Like others have said, the tank is a ULNS. There is nothing wrong with your levels and growth can be achieved with an ULNS as well. The key is to provide nutrition.

You have 2 options.

Option 1

Raise nitrates and phosphates to measurable levels.

Nitrates about 5

Phosphates around 0.03.

This is achieved by several methods, one is feeding more (not just fish food but SPS foods like reef roids) - increase SLOWLY.

Throw in a couple of drops of an amino acid of your choice - either acro power or FUEL before feeding.

You can also shut off the skimmer if you run one, and only run it intermittently.

Or you can dose phosphates and nitrates - both are supplements available in the hobby.

Option 2

Zeovit or other nutritional supplementation.

You can start with their nano line of supplements

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_ZEOvit_Nano_Power_Package_4_x_10ml_Coral_Additives_Supplements-Korallen_Zucht-VX5321-FIADSACS-vi.html

Strongly suggest reading the zeo method before attempting it as my suggestion here is an oversimplification of the method.

In both these options basically you are providing nutrition to the corals, one by increasing the amount of over-all nutrients available in the water, the other by providing coral specific supplements. I'm just thinking that rather than change the chemistry of your water, you might prefer the zeo method. It is however something to read about before usage.

Feed aminos to your SPS. Get some aquavitro fuel or something similar. I am using aquaforest coral a (aminos) and coral v (vitamins) and I am getting good results with growth but mostly color.

A good option to feed everything is to use rods or larry's frozen, just don't overdo it. I don't think anyone has ever said they have a problem raising nutrients when feeding a bunch of either of these.

This

What test kit do you use for PO4? You should try to SLIGHTLY raise nitrate and phosphate. Aim for nitrate to be 1-2 and PO4 around .1

Im currently using salifert for all my test kits

I wouldn't chase alk either. If you can keep it stable at 8, run with it. Stability it the key assuming it's in the realm of a suitable range.

Yip not going to chase alk, i just want to keep it stable at 8dkh unless there is a solid reason to raise it.

Like others have said, the tank is a ULNS. There is nothing wrong with your levels and growth can be achieved with an ULNS as well. The key is to provide nutrition.

You have 2 options.

Option 1

Raise nitrates and phosphates to measurable levels.

Nitrates about 5

Phosphates around 0.03.

This is achieved by several methods, one is feeding more (not just fish food but SPS foods like reef roids) - increase SLOWLY.

Throw in a couple of drops of an amino acid of your choice - either acro power or FUEL before feeding.

You can also shut off the skimmer if you run one, and only run it intermittently.

Or you can dose phosphates and nitrates - both are supplements available in the hobby.

Option 2

Zeovit or other nutritional supplementation.

You can start with their nano line of supplements

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_ZEOvit_Nano_Power_Package_4_x_10ml_Coral_Additives_Supplements-Korallen_Zucht-VX5321-FIADSACS-vi.html

Strongly suggest reading the zeo method before attempting it as my suggestion here is an oversimplification of the method.

In both these options basically you are providing nutrition to the corals, one by increasing the amount of over-all nutrients available in the water, the other by providing coral specific supplements. I'm just thinking that rather than change the chemistry of your water, you might prefer the zeo method. It is however something to read about before usage.

I have been feeding the sps with coral frenzy ever couple of days, only 1/4 of a teaspoon though as this is what the instructions say, do you think upping this to 1/2 would increase the nitrates and phosphates?

also been dosing a local brand of amnio acids.

I also have macro growing in the sump on a reverse lighting cycle.

My Skimmer also runs 24/7, shall i cut this down to 12/7? and only run it through the day?

Feed aminos to your SPS. Get some aquavitro fuel or something similar. I am using aquaforest coral a (aminos) and coral v (vitamins) and I am getting good results with growth but mostly color.

I have been dosing a local brand of aminos every second day,.

A good option to feed everything is to use rods or larry's frozen, just don't overdo it. I don't think anyone has ever said they have a problem raising nutrients when feeding a bunch of either of these.

Unfortunately we cannot get rods or larrys food here in New Zealand. I have heard good things about them though.

This

Just realized I forgot a 0. Meant to say .01 for phosphates.

Hard to believe the tank is too clean!

Although i have absolutely no algae growing, have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks and its pretty dam clean.

I also feed everyday, either shrimp, mysis or NLS.

Hard to believe the tank is too clean!

Although i have absolutely no algae growing, have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks and its pretty dam clean.

I also feed everyday, either shrimp, mysis or NLS.

That says a lot. Typically, most reef tanks see a light hazing of algae/biofilm on the glass every couple days.

Do you just have the two small clownfish seen in the photo? A few more fish would help a lot to raise nutrient levels if fed well.

Can anyone suggest what normal growth is anyway?

'Normal' growth means little. Same species of SPS coral in the wild can grow as little as 1/4" or 5" per year in the wild depending on the local conditions and both can be equally healthy.

Question is how much growth do you expect/want?...and then feed the tank accordingly. However, the more you feed, the more you have to export to maintain a balance after get your NO3 and PO4 up a bit (assuming you aren't doing ULNS such as Zeovit).

Seems it's harder to raise the levels than I thought haha.

Going to feed the coral nightly for a while till the levels are up, seems the tank just eats the extra nutrients up no problem.

How are you feeding the tank? Broadcast feeding? Try directly feeding the sps with a syringe or longer dropper and see if that helps.

Ill be honest, i got the idea of nightly feeding from you haha.

ive been broadcast feeding recently. I have a julian sprung's thing so i should switch to target feeding.

which method do you use?

Ill be honest, i got the idea of nightly feeding from you haha.

ive been broadcast feeding recently. I have a julian sprung's thing so i should switch to target feeding.

which method do you use?

Ok- then what your doing is perfect ?nightly feed is good though. Since I started the 50 I broadcast and then individually feed the larger colonies so it's a combination. In my Nuvo I was able to pour food directly over each colony - even though it was broadcast it would hit them directly then disperse throughout the tank. Try the combination and target feed a few sps you want to see improvement with. Just be careful not to blast them- they will retract some polyps. Place it near the coral then so the food will flow into them. See if that helps. Keep an eye on the po4 - one day it will just be high.

I still feed everynight- like clock work but I do have to run GFO and keep up on w/c to be able to do this.

I'm pretty good with my water changes 10% every week. I also run carbon and gfo.

Have now set my return and power heads to be off for 30 mins so they have a decent amount of time to suck up as much food as possible.

Let's hope I see some growth haha.

I'm pretty good with my water changes 10% every week. I also run carbon and gfo.

Have now set my return and power heads to be off for 30 mins so they have a decent amount of time to suck up as much food as possible.

Let's hope I see some growth haha.

If you want PO4 to increase shut GFO off for a bit and start testing. Only use a little as it will quickly deplete PO4. Better to use a little and replace more often is what I found with GFO- less of a "shock" on the system

Davidwissman85

Do you just dump your fuel in the water, or do you spot spray it directly into the corals area?

Do you just dump your fuel in the water, or do you spot spray it directly into the corals area?

You just dump it in the water. Spot spray does nothing. Acros feed through the water column.

Archived