SaltCritters.com

Euroquatics E5 Teardown

evilc66

Careful, Mark. Gcarrol from RC is going to come after you for saying that.

This isn't RC, is it. :D 1 T5 bulb in my ATI 60" Sunpower is about 50PAR at the arbitrary distance I measured at, about 5 inches from the surface. Evil's setup will be able to tell us PAR of a single bulb but he needs to add a quality reflector to get a real comparison.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

This isn't RC, is it. :D 1 T5 bulb in my ATI 60" Sunpower is about 50PAR at the arbitrary distance I measured at, about 5 inches from the surface. Evil's setup will be able to tell us PAR of a single bulb but he needs to add a quality reflector to get a real comparison.

You mean for a single T5 lamp? The E5 will never shine any light towards a reflector.

Haha for sure. He has managed to get on me about calling euroquatics out on both rc and r2r.

You mean for a single T5 lamp? The E5 will never shine any light towards a reflector.

No, I mean a fair comparison is a T5 with a reflector vs the euroquatics (reflector makes no difference). Actually, if I was designing it, I would have put LED's on the top and bottom to take advantage of the reflectors. :)

jedimasterben

No, I mean a fair comparison is a T5 with a reflector vs the euroquatics (reflector makes no difference). Actually, if I was designing it, I would have put LED's on the top and bottom to take advantage of the reflectors. :)

With the directionality of LEDs, it would actually not work much better, if at all, with more pointing up towards the reflector. Plus, the cooling would be even worse lol

With the directionality of LEDs, it would actually not work much better, if at all, with more pointing up towards the reflector. Plus, the cooling would be even worse lol

They should have wide lenses on them, similar to the BML fixtures IMO. Heat would be a problem in a cheap fixture for sure, but not a cooled fixture like the ATI. I bet cooling is one of the biggest issues with these. Burnouts within months, but who knows.

My call is they're going to be awful with really bad PAR. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah, This was my primary concern. If that's the case I'll just use T5s and one of the "Blue Pop" for the color on my Actinic setup.

They should have wide lenses on them, similar to the BML fixtures IMO. Heat would be a problem in a cheap fixture for sure, but not a cooled fixture like the ATI. I bet cooling is one of the biggest issues with these. Burnouts within months, but who knows.

Why would you add lenses? That would concentrate the light not make it wider.
jedimasterben

Lenses focus light, not spread it out :)

Yea, good point, so I go back to what I said, the reflectors will work. BML says they use a special lens that radically spreads the LED light on the horizontal to the fixture, and you can see it if you look at one. Lenses can do all kinds of things, but they would add cost so probably not reasonable here anyway.

Shame to see some of you young folk already becoming narrow minded. :P

Concave, by the way.

I may have an interesting solution for this. Might not be ATI reflector quality, but should be pretty good. And by pretty good, I think it should be far better than most stamped reflector options.

For the e5s I think most would take advantage of the lack of need for a reflector and use a cheaper fixture.

I think that's really where they are aiming this product. No one in their right mind is going to drop a boat load of money on a high end T5HO fixture with premium reflectors and ballasts only to swap out the bulbs with LEDs that don't utilize half of the reason you bought the high end fixture in the first place. Dropping these into lower end fixtures for reduced bulb replacement, lower energy costs, and possibly slightly higher output (speculative) makes a lot more sense.

I may have an interesting solution for this. Might not be ATI reflector quality, but should be pretty good. And by pretty good, I think it should be far better than most stamped reflector options.

I think that's really where they are aiming this product. No one in their right mind is going to drop a boat load of money on a high end T5HO fixture with premium reflectors and ballasts only to swap out the bulbs with LEDs that don't utilize half of the reason you bought the high end fixture in the first place. Dropping these into lower end fixtures for reduced bulb replacement, lower energy costs, and possibly slightly higher output (speculative) makes a lot more sense.

I keep bringing this up over and over at rc and r2r and yet apparently I have a grudge against the company for pointing this out. The company is pushing these as full blown T5 replacements regardless the fixture and people are buying these and putting them on their sunpowers.

Hey, if they want to waste money, that's their prerogative :) Anyway, the proof is in the pudding right? Hopefully I'll be making pudding soon :D

Hey, if they want to waste money, that's their prerogative :) Anyway, the proof is in the pudding right? Hopefully I'll be making pudding soon :D

Im hungry for pudding.

jedimasterben

Is there any measurable improvement on a high end T5HO fixture?

That shouldn't make any difference, as the LEDs will still be using the same amount of power roughly and will not make use at all of the better reflectors.

So they had these on display at Reefstock in a ATI Sunpower. Look up to see the reflectors not doing anything and when I asked the guy seemed confused. I ended up just walking away.

-Dave

Archived