Cultivated Reef

Injured wrasse- darn it

uwharrie

woke up this am to discover my sixlined wrasse missing an eye. It was fine last night, no sign of illness or injury so I can only assume it was injury last night. The fish is eating but needless to say a bit disoriented. He is keeping his blind side next to the glass. I don't have a QT tank and so far the other two fish ( clown and flame hawk) are leaving him alone. I am leaving to go out of state till Sunday. Told my husband to keep an eye on him and if he does pass to get him out of the tank. Don't know what else to do.

Do you have any anemones or crabs in the tank?

What is your substrate?

In nature a fish might not survive that injury, but with room service feedings it may do OK. I know of a one eyed Clownfish that has been around for years and spawns regularly with it's mate.

Some Wrasses like to burrow in the substrate at night or when scared (as you probably know). Maybe the eye was injured if it made a quick dive to safety. A larger crab could injure the eye as well as contact with an anemone.

Should be fine as long as he's eating and no one's harassing him. Sixline's sleep in the rockwork, so it may have been injured that way if his home has a sharp edge. Could be any number of causes unfortunately. This is why we don't give our fish air rifles...
hikAClQ.png

The loss shouldn't cause too much trouble, though. My caribbean sailfin blenny lost an eye a few weeks ago and he's as feisty as ever. He was disoriented for awhile and didn't eat much for a couple days but he got used to it and is back to his old self again. His movements are more exaggerated as he tries to keep tabs on everything and he's a little upset if someone sneaks up on his bad side, but he's still spawning with his girl so I guess it's not affecting that department. :rolleyes:

Thanks, one of the hermits may have gotten him. But he did like to find holes in the rock to hide. We shall see how he does

Archived