Pod Your Reef

Red Sea A-B-C dosing help needed.

HollywoodFish

HollywoodFish

I have a 29G Biocube, 6 months old. 20# live rove rock, a few fish, crabs & snails, and a shrimp. I recntly added 2 small coral frags. For the month prior to adding the coral I dosed with Kent 2 part nano. I tested the calcium level and added the coral when it reached 420. I switched over to Red Sea (3 liquid bottles) A-B-C. I have been adding 2 ML of each everyday for two days now. Am I on the right track? The corals don't look as god as they did when I bought them. Here are my levels:

KH 196.9

Calcium 300

Salinity 1.024

PH 8

Amonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

post-89595-0-11792200-1454254412_thumb.jpg

post-89595-0-22633500-1454254437_thumb.png

Well, a couple questions: what are you feeding your corals? the 0 nitrate indicates there's not enough nutrients in the water for them to thrive.

And yes, you want to gradually increase the calcium and alk levels. However, you need to determine how much calcium and alk your tank is using. It might be using everything you're putting in, so the levels won't actually increase. So test your calcium and alk daily and see what the usage is (meaning, if they stay steady at what they are now, they're using that much of the ABC you're dosing. If they drop, you need to add more. If they're climbing, you know they're not using all that you're putting in).

Also, how frequent and how much water are you changing with water changes?

HollywoodFish

To feed the corals I have a dropper bulb and added a shot of Dr G's copepods to them twice (turned the pump off) and a I added live Rotifers to the tank twice. What else shoud I do? (over the course of 1 1/2 weeks)

I have been checking my levels every 3-4 days. How long can I check them after adding the ABC to get an acurate read?

I change the water once a week (1 to 2 gallons).

What kind of salt are you using? 300 is low. Use a reef salt. Mine is about 450 and I have several small frag (LPS) and stays above 400 after biweekly water changes.

Unless you have Stoney corals, no need to dose yet.

Archived