Innovative Marine Aquariums

Odd Emerald Crab behavior

uwharrie

So I found my emerald crab out on top of one of the live rocks this am. He never comes out in the light. Hours later still in the same spot not moving. I touched him gently with a probe and he did not move? Dying or molting? would he molt in the open?
Tank parameters are good, weekend water changes, have had him three weeks

Well the Flame Hawk just bumped the crab off the rock. Crab landed upside down. Did not move. Guess I had better get the corpse out so not to nuke the tank. Never though one would climb up on a rock to die in the open!

gulfsurfer101

I would assume the carb would be displaying strange behavior on the count of death that any behavior displayed would in fact be considered strange!

I think my emerald crab died this way too. found it exactly as you described. If it moulted it did not survive because I fed the tank last night and that little psycho would be out after it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well over two weeks later guess what? What I thought was the crab was a shed! The crab lives! Damn thing scared the heck out of me. ( it only comes out at night and must really hide well during the day)

I did not think the shell was a shed as I could not find a split in it anywhere. Still don't know how the damn thing got out of its shell! But he is HUGE. Now I know why I no longer have an algae problem!

So do I need to start supplementing him? if so with what?

He is a big guy now, looked to be about quarter sized (taking legs in to account)

I just don't want him to start munching on my corals. It seems he hide during the day, ( especially since I have not seen a sign of him in over two weeks)

Glad he made it - and is earning his keep! Try a couple of mysis (or more if he is a big guy!).

Archived