Innovative Marine Aquariums

65 litre/14 gallon, 30cm x 60cm x 35cm beginner.

Haberdashery

I found a 65 litre tank on gumtree for £25 so I felt compelled to buy it, aha.

I already have a 55litre nano reef that's been set up for just over a year but I still consider myself a complete novice and am looking for advice and hints and tips etc for setting this wee tank up.

post-87135-0-92318200-1454175371_thumb.jpgpost-87135-0-09018400-1454175371_thumb.jpgpost-87135-0-03968000-1454175370_thumb.jpg

It's a bit grubby still and has a stick on thermometer on the outside. (oh how i loathe stick on thermometers) but i'm planning to clean it up, start cycling it soon and move my clownfish and firefish into it afterwards maybe add another clownfish or a shrimp and goby pair or clown goby if i feel theres enough space and turn their current home into a seahorse tank.

I've worked it out as needing about 20lbs of live sand for about 1 and 3/4 inch sandbed and 12kg of live rock. Which sounds alright to me

For lighting i'm going to get the Beamswork MHX24 3w LED Marine w LED Marine

http://www.ukmarinelighting.co.uk/beamswork-mhx24-3w-led-marine-aquarium-light-115-p.asp

and for filter I was going to get the Fluval U3 Internal Filter, 150 L (40 US Gal)

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/fluval-u3-underwater-filter-150-l-40-us-gal

and use it with phosphate remover and filterpads and filterwool

I wasn't going to get a skimmer as ive heard that for nano aquariums its better to just do water changes often

I am also getting a few powerheads and obviously a heater etc

pretty excited about this tbh if anyone has any advice or thinks i should do something differently please let me know!

I found a 65 litre tank on gumtree for £25 so I felt compelled to buy it, aha. I already have a 55litre nano reef that's been set up for just over a year but I still consider myself a complete novice...

It sounds like you probably have more experience than you give yourself credit for. Do you have any specific questions, or need help with anything in particular? It should make for a nice tank. Sometimes it's just too hard to pass up another one. :lol:

Aha, thank you ! My current nano is just full of hair algae and i think i have way too much rock in it and i think the rock placement has caused a few dead spots and such. I just really wanna set this one up properly from the start to avoid problems later on.

I'm not sure what kind of corals to get. I have a pulsing xenia in my current tank which is thriving and pretty much taking over. in the past i had a hammerhead coral which was doing really really well for months then just started to recede and die. I asked 4 different fish stores with experienced hobbyists and none of them could give me a reason why, my water was perfect and itt done so well for months and one of them said it happened to his aswell just started to die off. perhaps it was something to do with the semi-poor flow? I also had a suncoral which ultimately starved because i didnt feed it regularly enough. so i'm looking for nice to look at probably soft corals that dont rely much on feeding and move nicely in the water. :)

The algae indicates that nutrients might have been a problem (this might not be apparent while you have algae or cyano, as it will be consuming the nutrients for growth). Flow can be an issue in suspending detritus for your filter to remove.

As far as flow for your hammer, they can do alright in low flow. The algae might have become an irritant to it. Poor water quality can also be a cause.

I'm guessing that you weren't doing 15% weekly water changes. You probably could use a larger cleanup crew to help control the algae.

I done water changes religiously every week and used phosphate remover and manually removed hair algae daily. I had a clean up crew of 2 emerald crabs, 3 trochus snails, 3 hermits, 2 narcissus snails, a blue tuxedo urchin and a shrimp but to no avail. i feed half a block of mysis/brine/krill every second day.maybe i leave the light on too long during the day ?

The cleanup crew seems more than adequate. Could be the light cycle, or even the spectrum. You might do better with feeding less, more often. Could it have been bryosis (a particularly invasive species of algae that is hard to control with a good cleanup crew and proper nutrient control)?

Archived