Cultivated Reef

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

I have the inTank baskets and they really fit nice in the back chambers. Unlike the stock baskets that sort of slide around and leave a lot of empty room.

I would try to find someone who had the IM baskets to be sure.

Yeah oh man those stock baskets flap around currently knocking against the sides and create water trickle sounds LOL. So horrible :(

Great start! Ive also used Prodibio. March from Fragbox here in Toronto got me using it. The stuff wont work unless you add the fish because it needs a heavier ammonia source to feed off of. I would not worry at all unless you add an entire stocking plan at once.

Also i would check out the filter socks on reef supplies- http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-200-Micron-Filter-Sock-DeskTop.html

Thats what I went to use before I sold my tank. They are also washing machine friendly. Get some chemi pure blue nano. Put 2 pouches in each sock and let it do its thing!

Thanks man! Did you just run with those 2x socks and them your media inside the socks?? I might go back to my original plan and create some eggcrate DIY baskets perhaps.. I've got all the supplies here.

I have a (mature) Yellow Watchman Goby in there right now after the Prodibio!! He's doing excellent, eating, swimming between all the rocks and around the bottom, loves it!

• Like 1

Thanks man! Did you just run with those 2x socks and them your media inside the socks?? I might go back to my original plan and create some eggcrate DIY baskets perhaps.. I've got all the supplies here.

I have a (mature) Yellow Watchman Goby in there right now after the Prodibio!! He's doing excellent, eating, swimming between all the rocks and around the bottom, loves it!

I started my tank before the dollar went to the state where its in now so I got the inTank Media Baskets shipped to my house in Miami when my mom was down and had her bring everything back. I sold the Fusion 20 because I wanted something a bit deeper which now leads me to potentially buying the Fusion 25. If do I would put the media into the sock and let it do its thing!

• Like 1

I just found this guy on Kijiji selling RFA's for $20ea. They're not like magical unique colors but hey maybe I'll pick one up for my first one and it'll still be nice!!! :D

Working on my egg crate media setup this afternoon, will get my purigen + chemipure in there and I've cut a bunch of floss up to do it frequently! Just made another 5G of RODI.

If you remember from this post....

My new (second hand) RODI is up and running!! Took a test sample, came in at 33ppm!!! That's FAR better than the 155ppm I've literally been using (no joke) for the past two years on this tank. I'm embarrassed to admit I never even knew about TDS or understood RODI units before, but damn!!

Made some new RODI this morning. Came in at 5ppm. It must have just not been used for a little while perhaps, maybe had some sediment build up in the filter canisters. Came out at 5!!! Wow!! :D More than happy with that!!

• Like 2

Started to run out of room from all the parts I had collecting for the tank...

24991394595_c16aec6ca4_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Nice sheet of egg crate.. going to attempt DIY media baskets $15 vs $85 CDN for the InTank's..

24360794474_67c8cbff3e_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Began cutting.. This was a bit difficult. Got a blister on my thumb from using the snips so much :(

24965086896_f6c3417b0c_c.jpg

Untitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Putting them together! The space is so very small in the back..

24898106861_e10d874a97_c.jpg

Untitled by kijho6, on Flickr

One complete!! Floss on top, then Chemipure Elite..

24364555543_56de099efc_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

The other side, Floss + Purigen. It's ALOT quieter now, and I think it fits absolutely perfect. There is a small gap at the back, however the water trickles in right now directly ontop of the floss and down thru it (I could see it splashing into the Purigen bag causing it to move) which seems good..

24873406672_b561ef9c24_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Got the Temp. Controller setup! Love it! This is where my ATO reservoir will be, however - So I'm building a small shelf to hold this to the wall and I'll also mount the ATO controller just above it!

25003089345_0b45eb8caf_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

• Like 5

Nice work!

I just found this guy on Kijiji selling RFA's for $20ea. They're not like magical unique colors but hey maybe I'll pick one up for my first one and it'll still be nice!!! :D

Working on my egg crate media setup this afternoon, will get my purigen + chemipure in there and I've cut a bunch of floss up to do it frequently! Just made another 5G of RODI.

If you remember from this post....

Made some new RODI this morning. Came in at 5ppm. It must have just not been used for a little while perhaps, maybe had some sediment build up in the filter canisters. Came out at 5!!! Wow!! :D More than happy with that!!

5ppm is much better than what you had before, but anything over 0 is an indication that one or more of the filter components need to be changed. If you do a search here on N-R or on Google you'll find lots of articles explaining how to check the tds on both sides of the RO membrane so you can tell whether the resin or the membrane need to be changed. :)

• Like 2

Looking good when are you planning on moving things over?

Thanks man!

Not quite sure yet! I'm waiting to see some diatom's begin / bloom and then I'll add some CUC perhaps. Then look at my Clownfish, they're

my most pride so I want everything to go well when I transition them over! Then lasty will be all the corals I plan to keep at once (Acan/ rics/ frogspawn) and then the light ofcourse! :D

• Like 2

Looks good I like have control stuff lol looks cool

Thanks my friend!! :D Woke up at 2am to this bright blue shining light in the room, haha.. I can close the door though so I got up to close it, damn it's bright !! But it does magical work, my water level was perfect this morning!! No evap!! :D This is so great! Never had an ATO before, I felt a little odd not getting my top up cup of water that I've been doing for so long now..

Might transition over my other fish soon!! I'll probably pickup a bottle of Prime, too - Just to be safe in case I see a huge spike in ammonia or nitrate. Although this Prodibio seems to be working well..

wMuS3ve.png

• Like 3

Thanks my friend!! :D Woke up at 2am to this bright blue shining light in the room, haha.. I can close the door though so I got up to close it, damn it's bright !! But it does magical work, my water level was perfect this morning!! No evap!! :D This is so great! Never had an ATO before, I felt a little odd not getting my top up cup of water that I've been doing for so long now..

Might transition over my other fish soon!! I'll probably pickup a bottle of Prime, too - Just to be safe in case I see a huge spike in ammonia or nitrate. Although this Prodibio seems to be working well..

wMuS3ve.png

Prodibio is great. I used it in my nano cube 28 and loved it,been considering going this route again as its cheaper in this size tank,just lots of stuff to reorder :lol:

Yea the micro is awesome. I have enjoyed not having to dump inconsistently timed cups of water into the tank.

• Like 1

Smart level ATO went off beeping now while I'm at work. My brother sent a pic of the back chamber, water is at the Min. Level. Weird, I think it means the pump isn't reaching the "Max. Level" in the specified interval to fill? Meaning perhaps the AquaLifter isn't strong enough to pump the water fast enough or something? :(

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try to move the Clownfish tonight! Things have been doing very well. They will miss their frogspawn which they love and host in, but I might invest in a massive ~$100 Frogspawn coral I recently saw at the top LFS in my area. It's a massive piece, it would be a beautiful piece in this tank! No corals however until the fish are settled in!

I'm not sure if I should be cycling with a light overtop though. I mean, I don't have another light for saltwater.. right now I just have some cheap LED's mounted above. They don't do anything though.. but I can't really bring over the PAR Led right now since it's still on the Spec V!

• Like 2

Smart level ATO went off beeping now while I'm at work. My brother sent a pic of the back chamber, water is at the Min. Level. Weird, I think it means the pump isn't reaching the "Max. Level" in the specified interval to fill? Meaning perhaps the AquaLifter isn't strong enough to pump the water fast enough or something? :(

Exactly - if the water doesn't get high enough in some max time, it alarms and stops pumping. For me, that was a sign that the Aqualifter was wearing out and needed a new rubber valve. Or just a new Aqualifter since they're so cheap ;)

Another thing you can try is place the ATO reservoir so that it's not as far below the tank, so the Aqualifter doesn't have to work so hard to pump.

I think I'm going to try to move the Clownfish tonight! Things have been doing very well. They will miss their frogspawn which they love and host in, but I might invest in a massive ~$100 Frogspawn coral I recently saw at the top LFS in my area. It's a massive piece, it would be a beautiful piece in this tank! No corals however until the fish are settled in!

I'm not sure if I should be cycling with a light overtop though. I mean, I don't have another light for saltwater.. right now I just have some cheap LED's mounted above. They don't do anything though.. but I can't really bring over the PAR Led right now since it's still on the Spec V!

Most people will tell you that you shouldn't move fish over until the cycle is done. But as far as the light goes, you don't need it to make the tank cycle, and you won't need a strong light until you move the corals over.

• Like 1

Zeros all around, still!

diStGOh.jpg

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I'm a little surprised, considering I have the Clownfish in there!! It looks like that Prodibio is holding up to its name and doing some voodoo magic with my water/ filtration.. Haha!

I've elevated my RO/DI reservoir now about 6" (ontop of a small shoe box) because it isn't able to fill fast enough and the alarm occasionally goes off. Maybe this will help, I hope!!

I forgot about the fact that Tiger Pistol Shrimps make your sand-bed look messy.. Like, can he just stay and occupy one of his burrows? Damn. But, atleast he's happy!! So it my YWG, sooo damn happy. Never seen my YWG as actively swimming / following the shrimp around. He must have been miserable in the Spec V seriously!!

Also - My Clownfish are soooo active. Soo much more movement and swimming, chasing each other around, they literally swim all around the scape and between all the small crevices. I never seen my clownfish so active/ happy, either!! I think they were sad without their hosted frogspawn but I don't think they even care now. Soon enough they'll have some beautiful corals to enjoy, but for now they're doing great and eating etc.!!

0sF6Erd.jpg

H8pehDR.jpg

Ahhh, sorry .. vertical phone photos lol..

• Like 2

Thank you my friends!! :) I'm loving everything about this Fusion 20.. It was seriously my dream tank over the past year I cannot believe I have one here setup!! You have no idea how happy these clownfish are - I'm going to go film a video to show you all haha!

Does anybody have any recommendations for "cleaning" corals? Basically, I'm planning to in the future transition over the corals from my old Spec V into the Fusion 20. The Spec V will most likely retire, unless I keep it for something.. but probably not. I have a Spec II also in storage. Basically, several of my current corals over in the Spec V have aiptasia pests on the plugs or the base of them. I want to do everything I can to ensure I do not bring those posts over into this Fusion 20. Does anyone have any suggestions? My initial thoughts are to fill up my small cup with SW, place the coral into it and it will ofcourse close-up from being moved. Then bring the coral into the washroom where the lighting is very good and then use a toothbrush and scrub it down in the cup of SW. Perhaps some peroxide? Suggestions on that? Then "dip/ rinse" it over into a separate different cup of fresh SW to "clean" off anything left?

Mostly some of my acans on the base, the torch has two on the base, etc.

:) Thanks in advance!

I really need to get rid of my notebook for tracking water testing and make myself an Excel spreadsheet. I'd like to be able to plot a graph of the results instead of just staring at numbers.

• Like 1

I really need to get rid of my notebook for tracking water testing and make myself an Excel spreadsheet. I'd like to be able to plot a graph of the results instead of just staring at numbers.

You should!! It's super easy! There are a few iphone apps, too - but I couldn't get any of those to work and they were too complex for me. I'm in excel all day long at work, and I love its abilities with how I can track / manage literally anything in a spreadsheet!

I'm wondering if I can begin moving corals over this weekend... :happy:

• Like 2
Cichlidrookie

Good idea using excel for keeping your records.

There are many SW members on my other forum that use AquaticLog

I have not done it yet but will some day looks like an easy to use app and website.

Here is a link.

http://www.aquaticlog.com/?page=home

I am not a sponsor or owner of aquaticlog just a curious hobbyist.

Kijho sorry to hear you are shutting down your Spec V, by far one of my favorites to follow on this website. My dream is also like your....to own a Fusion 20 one day.

Guess I am following in your footsteps.

Good luck with your new tank and coral transfer.

• Like 3