SaltCritters.com

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

Awesome, great to see!

My Sicce's were deadly quiet straight away, however, there is a bit of a dripping sounds coming from the standard media baskets. Looking at upgrading them asap.

Did you leave the current Y in the tubing?

I left it in! It's honestly still a little bit too loud, I'm not sure maybe I'm just being too picky.. It almost sounds like a "whirring" sound (I'm sure of the internals etc.) Some water trickle, but that's not too bad. Letting the water clear up now for a few days before beginning the quick cycle.

• Like 1

Well, managed to pull a few strings with the LFS and get the Sicce 1.5 for $63 CDN, not bad at all! B)

24762617025_eedd82d7df_c.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

It was initially almost as loud as the IM pump, however an hour later now it's become slightly quieter. So now I'm going to begin making some filter media racks and put some filter floss in there, add some Prodibio Start Up (quick cycle, it says I can add the "strongest" fish in ~12 hours but I'll way much longer...)

You'll like the 1.5 I use the same thing in the goon. Quiet as you could ask for.
  • Like 1

I left it in! It's honestly still a little bit too loud, I'm not sure maybe I'm just being too picky.. It almost sounds like a "whirring" sound (I'm sure of the internals etc.) Some water trickle, but that's not too bad. Letting the water clear up now for a few days before beginning the quick cycle.

let it run for a day more...maybe it will quiet down. if it's still noisy, i would return it for a new one cuz this will drive you nuts sooner or later.

• Like 1

My reef is on a dresser in the closet, (I really like it there, I was on the fence of not putting the 20 in the bedroom but decided to). There are these french style doors on the front that open up / close, I don't usually like to close them (because I get worried if the tank was too humid and I had evaporation/ condensation issues in there..) but I'm thinking of possibly adding a anti-humidity sponge (some silica gel stuff I think) and then possibly adding some very cheap acoustic soundproof foams (those black triangle foams like in studios) on the inside of the closet doors so at night it's never an issue.

But really, I'm sure after a week I'll just end up getting totally used to it and never notice haha..

Hmm. Maybe pull the pump out, re-seat the impeller and see what happens? it should be a silent pump. I have had a couple Sicce pumps, and they have never made ANY noise at all. If it's still making noise, I would definitely look at having your LFS swap it out, it should be silent, especially for as expensive as these little pumps are.

Nice build though, really like your scape. :-)

• Like 1

So came home and the tank now has a constant water trickle sound. I think it comes from the second chamber when it goes back down to where the pump is... Maybe the water is flowing in the chamber because I have no filtration setup right now. Hmm...

I added a small bit of reef roids tonight, food can help kick in a cycle yea?

• Like 1

So came home and the tank now has a constant water trickle sound. I think it comes from the second chamber when it goes back down to where the pump is... Maybe the water is flowing in the chamber because I have no filtration setup right now. Hmm...

I added a small bit of reef roids tonight, food can help kick in a cycle yea?

Yes it can,and yes that's probably the noise you hear,I keep mine up a little higher so it eliminates the noise
  • Like 1

I sometimes have the water trickle, seems to be due to the water level.

Been a bit hot the past few days in Sydney, evaporation is going crazy.

I would also suggest checking the flow rate on the pump, and direction of the returns. Running 2 pumps, the overflows on each side get hammered by water rebounding of the front and sides. Adjusted the flow on the pumps and its better.

• Like 1

I sometimes have the water trickle, seems to be due to the water level.

Been a bit hot the past few days in Sydney, evaporation is going crazy.

I would also suggest checking the flow rate on the pump, and direction of the returns. Running 2 pumps, the overflows on each side get hammered by water rebounding of the front and sides. Adjusted the flow on the pumps and its better.

Rock scape looks good

Yes it can,and yes that's probably the noise you hear,I keep mine up a little higher so it eliminates the noise

Thanks guys,

I'm going to see if I can perhaps adjust the flow of the Sicce just a little tonight perhaps - not sure, it's quite powerful. Might try to re-seat the impeller too and see, and then begin working on eggcrate filtration racks. The IM ones would be close to $90CDN for me, but it's okay because I actually want to try the eggcrate first and see how it goes.

Suggestions on filtration? There's 2 Chambers (one downflow and one upflow) on each side. What do you guys use in these? I feel like putting floss in on each side, and then something on each side - perhaps building racks for the upflow chambers too?

Can anyone give some suggestions on filtration :happy: I made this little diagram in paint, at work .. haha, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should put where?

6kw4Ksj.png

1 & 4 - Filter Floss
5 - Chemipure Blue
2 - Purigen

Is Chemipure elite recommended, or is blue better? I might continue to use "algone" packets to reduce, they seemed to work very well for me in the Spec V! I am hopeful that once I add media, I'll slow the flow rate in the back chamber a bit to reduce the water trickle sound I have so evident right now (with nothing).

Going to start the cycle tonight, build media racks, and wait - then add media once cycled and I transfer a fish.
Thinking of transferring Blenny or YWG first.. :D

Fantastic tank and scape! What did you end up doing about the heater? It's from Amazon right? Can you return it? I just got a Cobalt 75w in the mail today and it's significantly shorter than the Eheim heater! I'm replacing my Eheim with this new Cobalt :)

I personally prefer the Chemipure elite. It seems to do a better job for me than the blue. Keeps things cleaner...or so it seems.

• Like 1

Can anyone give some suggestions on filtration :happy: I made this little diagram in paint, at work .. haha, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should put where?

6kw4Ksj.png

1 & 4 - Filter Floss

5 - Chemipure Blue

2 - Purigen

Is Chemipure elite recommended, or is blue better? I might continue to use "algone" packets to reduce, they seemed to work very well for me in the Spec V! I am hopeful that once I add media, I'll slow the flow rate in the back chamber a bit to reduce the water trickle sound I have so evident right now (with nothing).

Going to start the cycle tonight, build media racks, and wait - then add media once cycled and I transfer a fish.

Thinking of transferring Blenny or YWG first.. :D

This is exactly how I ran my IM 30L. Chemipure on one side, and Purigen on the other side. I have used both the elite and the blue chemipure, and I honestly didn't notice any difference on anything between the 2 of them, so I just used whatever was cheaper and easier to get my hands on.

I kept my water level in the center return section about 1 inch below the baffle, to reduce the water trickle noise. Made a big difference on the noise level. I also wouls sometimes double stack the floss to make it come up to almost where the overflow teeth are, which reduced the waterfall noise considerably as well.

• Like 1

Fantastic tank and scape! What did you end up doing about the heater? It's from Amazon right? Can you return it? I just got a Cobalt 75w in the mail today and it's significantly shorter than the Eheim heater! I'm replacing my Eheim with this new Cobalt :)

I personally prefer the Chemipure elite. It seems to do a better job for me than the blue. Keeps things cleaner...or so it seems.

Thank you !!! :) Means alot from you! I have the Eheim in there, on the back wall sideways (beneth the nozzles basically) only temporarily right now. Going to begin the cycle with it soon, but probably in the coming week get the Cobalt............ Which just reminds me... Maybe I should ask my friend if he can get me that for a little discount too? :o

This is exactly how I ran my IM 30L. Chemipure on one side, and Purigen on the other side. I have used both the elite and the blue chemipure, and I honestly didn't notice any difference on anything between the 2 of them, so I just used whatever was cheaper and easier to get my hands on.

I kept my water level in the center return section about 1 inch below the baffle, to reduce the water trickle noise. Made a big difference on the noise level. I also wouls sometimes double stack the floss to make it come up to almost where the overflow teeth are, which reduced the waterfall noise considerably as well.

My water level now in the front display is about 1" from the rim, which .. is a bit higher than I've seen on others pics.

You shouldn't need Purigen if you are running Chemipure Blue. But if you run Chemipure Elite, you can run Purigen too.

So I don't need Purigen if I'm using Blue then!? Either way the price would be very similar, but it would be incredible simple if I just used Chemipure blue in both sides (5 & 2), with filter floss above, no purigen then anywhere. (Alternatively would be Elite + Purigen.)

Any thoughts on the middle chambers? Leave them for potential skimmer in the future? Place the Cobalt in one probably?

What about the ATO. Where should I place my ATO sensor? (Thinking of the Hydor "Smart Level").

Good to see you "cycling" away!

Very nice upgrade!

Thanks very much!! :)

I'm wondering about filter socks... Maybe a filter sock on each side - filled with floss? haha.. Is that a thing? :lol:

Just ordered the ReefSafe Solution Temp. Controller!! $50USD = $72CDN for those wondering hahaha... Sorry, I'm all about this conversion nowadays as my Country's economy is going downhill! :'(

Free shipping to Canada at least, which is very uncommon!! I'll be using a small USB fan for the warm summer months to "cool" the tank. Will upgrade to the NeoTherm soon, too!

Plans:

1. Begin cycle (Prodibio)

2. Build eggcrate shelves. Still deciding on media's, but thinking 2x Filter floss, 1x Chemipure Elite OR Chemipure Blue, 1x Purigen, 1x Algone packet

3. NeoTherm Heater + controller coming

4. Transfer blenny or ywg

• Like 1

Just ordered the ReefSafe Solution Temp. Controller!! $50USD = $72CDN for those wondering hahaha... Sorry, I'm all about this conversion nowadays as my Country's economy is going downhill! :'(

Free shipping to Canada at least, which is very uncommon!! I'll be using a small USB fan for the warm summer months to "cool" the tank. Will upgrade to the NeoTherm soon, too!

Plans:

1. Begin cycle (Prodibio)

2. Build eggcrate shelves. Still deciding on media's, but thinking 2x Filter floss, 1x Chemipure Elite OR Chemipure Blue, 1x Purigen, 1x Algone packet

3. NeoTherm Heater + controller coming

4. Transfer blenny or ywg

Decided against the reefkeeper?

• Like 1

Decided against the reefkeeper?

It's too complicated for me, I tried researching it and pricing it out but I'm seeing so many different things.

Some things on BRS are $89 to $499 USD, the "recommended" setup is $279.

I just want something simple for temperature to plug-in, set, and leave. I'm going to pickup a separate ATO and then really that's all I'll need in terms of automation of the tank I think..

It's too complicated for me, I tried researching it and pricing it out but I'm seeing so many different things.

Some things on BRS are $89 to $499 USD, the "recommended" setup is $279.

I just want something simple for temperature to plug-in, set, and leave. I'm going to pickup a separate ATO and then really that's all I'll need in terms of automation of the tank I think..

That's fair! They have a bit of a learning curve. The different prices are for the different packages. The ReefKeeper Lite is really all you need ATM. If only the CA$ didn't suck so bad!

• Like 1

Oh man, came home to find my tank making the sound of that comparable to Niagara Falls (hahaha), looked to the back chamber and realized the middle (return chamber I believe it's called) was so low, it was just cresting the top of the pump. Probably not good, so I realized perhaps that's why I'm getting such loud water trickle sound...

Topped up the water, and it went up about 5 inches in the middle chamber and only slightly in the front display. No more water trickle.

So anyone with a Fusion 20 - You need to keep the middle return chamber almost 3 quarters of the way to the top of the second baffle. It was the long distance drop from the second water chamber down to the middle that was causing the sound. :(:lol:

Did some research, going to quote this here for my future reference.

I have the Nuvo 10 with the ATO in the pump chamber. If filled appropriately, the water flows over the last baffle with a slight drop in to the pump chamber. A small loss due to evaporation leads to a measurable height change. In the 20, do you have an overflow on each side of the tank flowing in to a central pump chamber? If so, the principle is the same.

Put some filter floss in each side tonight and added the cycle stuff!

24435823629_4b0178bb96_c.jpg

Water testing begins tomorrow! Gonna' keep track of it in an excel spreadsheet this time. B)

• Like 1

Yes you need a ATO or do like I do just fill a quart or two every night when I get home...... Center sectrion needs to be filled to almost teh top.

As for the loud pump it almost sounded like a vibration. Id the pump hiting the glass in the back?

• Like 2