Pod Your Reef

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

Thanks guys! :wub:

In other news; Been remaining steady on the strong water-changes. Probably going to do another early this week maybe tonight or Tuesday possibly. Keeping at it trying to get 1 to 2 a week in.

BUT. My frogspawn coral, which I've had for over a year and it has been at time massive and at other times smaller - doesn't seem very happy. I don't know why though, I've been SO strong on the WC's, and I've been monitoring all levels and adding some trace nutrients and a few drops of calcium with each WC.. I hope the head doesn't just pop off, because that has randomly happened to me before. I've made sure flow isn't direct on it, etc. Maybe I'll try adjusting the flow again tonight maybe it wants different flow..

iceman001

Not a reef related update, but hello ~ This is me!! :)

Was watching a movie with my girlfriend last night when an aurora alert popped up on my phone. There's been quite a few false alerts or alerts where nothing was visible lately, but this came up as a KP 6 which is pretty high (9 is maximum). So we headed out not too far away and it was very very vibrant, you could really see them dancing just with your eyes alone which isn't very common!

26291065873_a6a172e88f_b.jpg

IMG_2601 by Spencer, on Flickr

26827807481_c4f605d10f_b.jpg

IMG_2602 by Spencer, on Flickr

26290104064_378c4e2e6a_b.jpg

IMG_2606 by Spencer, on Flickr

Camera moved slightly on this shot as I had it on the window of the car, but the purple was streaking very vibrantly at times..

26290096114_388af59ae2_b.jpg

IMG_2610 by Spencer, on Flickr

26895349655_783c47e8ed_b.jpg

IMG_2607 by Spencer, on Flickr

26290088034_41ebe58f05_b.jpg

IMG_2613 by Spencer, on Flickr

26291044523_c7dafd34f7_b.jpg

IMG_2615 by Spencer, on Flickr

26827772681_737a4eec98_b.jpg

IMG_2616 by Spencer, on Flickr

26622692200_684c358a0f_b.jpg[/url

IMG_2600 by Spencer, on Flickr

OMG, IT AWESOME

• Like 1

I don't think they will work for Canada though :( Customer border will keep it for a day and they may die !

RC won't ship to Canada anyway.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem with having hobbies in cars & SW reefing: You get cuts on your hands from working on cars then don't wanna put hands in the SW tank hahaha..

• Like 2

Keeping on-top of these WC's!! :D (Whites increase up very high for these pics! Love the AI Prime, just updated the firmware..)

26956654110_714bcfe58d_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

So happy to see my frogspawn doing so well..

26956655520_53ab9f459d_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Vacuuming the sand-bed has become an obsession, almost. Every WC I'm cleaning the substrates, blowing off the rocks, cleaning as best I can the glass using an actual scrubbing pad by hand. Works so good. A few sparse aiptasia pop up occasionally, but I try to zap them immediately.

26625016974_28e74f781d_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

26956658410_34e126f92c_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Something super exciting finally happened today. I invested in a solid piece for the aquarium, something I'd wanted for a long time. It's a fairly mature piece. It's acclimated and just opening now, will post some pics once it's fully opened up soon!!

What's your setting for the prime?

This is what they look like during peak hours. I also have the red come up a bit during the ramp up / downs because I love how it looks in the mornings with just a touch of red as the sun rises and it just looks beautiful in the tank.

C7g09HE.png

• Like 1

Just read the thread from the opening of the box to the aurora to here :P great thread! Definitely following this!

:D Thanks so much!! Truly appreciate it!!

• Like 1

Something super exciting finally happened today. I invested in a solid piece for the aquarium, something I'd wanted for a long time. It's a fairly mature piece. It's acclimated and just opening now, will post some pics once it's fully opened up soon!!

oooo...let the guessing game begin. It's not acan or torch or frogspawn or hammer or yuma or ric or zoa since you had those already...

clam?

duncan?

blastos?

• Like 1

Oh guys so sorry I hope you're not disappointed because it's not any of what you guessed haha. But, this is my absolute favorite type of coral!! I do plan on getting more once I can afford a few more pieces, too! This sets record now as the most expensive coral I've bought (but, when you add up all corals I've bought sometimes this is perhaps less in that aspect. So I get less quantity, for one bigger one I love!)

Here we go!! :D

27478562581_74d4f21efd_c.jpgIMG_3100 by Spencer, on Flickr

27451921162_4843e17032_c.jpgIMG_3086 by Spencer, on Flickr

It looks absolutely incredible with the spin-stream randomly blowing it, oh man.. my most favorite piece in all my nanoreef history!!

27451923882_581c631fed_c.jpgIMG_3143 by Spencer, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thanks guys!! :D Maybe I'll pick another beautiful piece up next payday. Adding this piece seriously made a tremendous improvement to my otherwise nearly empty tank! This thing is so massive, and combined with the spin-stream on there, flows very nicely!

The clownfish are also seemingly happier!! They swim all around, beneath, between the piece, they love it I think!

• Like 3

This part of my Octospawn has been like this over the past few days.. Not sure :( I really hope it doesn't die as it was pretty expensive. All params are in check, I've been doing weekly 50% WC's (I just did one a few days prior, before it went in like this..), and I'm manually dosing 5ml of Prime 1 + 2 about every 3 to 4 days (which I find is keeping things very happy and not too much as I don't have a tremendous amount in the tank really.)

I've got the spin stream on and for a second around each turn it's almost direct on the coral. You can see the above previous frogspawn seems to actually really enjoy that, flows very very nicely but not constantly blasting all around. Perhaps it needs more here, or less.. Maybe I'll try moving it just a little and see...

27479194000_8c5caeeec1_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

27723394576_91fb684d2e_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

• Like 1

This part of my Octospawn has been like this over the past few days.. Not sure :( I really hope it doesn't die as it was pretty expensive. All params are in check, I've been doing weekly 50% WC's (I just did one a few days prior, before it went in like this..), and I'm manually dosing 5ml of Prime 1 + 2 about every 3 to 4 days (which I find is keeping things very happy and not too much as I don't have a tremendous amount in the tank really.)

I've got the spin stream on and for a second around each turn it's almost direct on the coral. You can see the above previous frogspawn seems to actually really enjoy that, flows very very nicely but not constantly blasting all around. Perhaps it needs more here, or less.. Maybe I'll try moving it just a little and see...

27479194000_8c5caeeec1_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

27723394576_91fb684d2e_b.jpgUntitled by kijho6, on Flickr

Don't forget one thing. Your Octospawn has obviously been growing for a long, long time and probably in the same tank and has been in the same water parameters also.

It's not only used to the same DKH, PH, Spgr, temp, etc, but also the same Ca, Mag, Strontium, iodine, and other things too numerous to list. I'm sure you did a good acclimation but when you change the whole environment of an established Coral, there will be a period of adjustment that may even include some die back and regrowth.

Give it lots of time and don't be too quick to change things in an attempt to prevent or "cure" some of this regression.

BTW, tanks looking great with the new lighting and scape.

AFTERTHOUGHT...Why are you using Prime. Prime is to remove or deactivate ammonia, Chlorine, Chloramines, etc and your live rock should be doing that. Also, your bacteria live on Ammonia so if there is none in the tank (killed or prevented by the Prime) the bacteria will starve and die.

Granted, you should not be able to detect an Ammonia level because the Bacteria are constantly processing it but it's just possible the prime is preventing the Ammonia your bacteria need to survive. I hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

Ahhhh so sorry for the confusion!! I'm adding Seachem Fusion 1 & 2 (about 5ml every 3 or 4 days perhaps)!! Everything else in my reef is just getting massive and is sooo fat!! The other heads are huge!!

This one still hasn't opened up :( But, I look with a flashlight carefully and at night and notice NO brown jelly around the skeleton or surrounding area/ heads. Doesn't look to be anything irritating it though, except a tiny little worm on the side (tube worm?)

I'll post up another pic soon here!

• Like 1

Ahhhh so sorry for the confusion!! I'm adding Seachem Fusion 1 & 2 (about 5ml every 3 or 4 days perhaps)!! Everything else in my reef is just getting massive and is sooo fat!! The other heads are huge!!

This one still hasn't opened up :( But, I look with a flashlight carefully and at night and notice NO brown jelly around the skeleton or surrounding area/ heads. Doesn't look to be anything irritating it though, except a tiny little worm on the side (tube worm?)

I'll post up another pic soon here!

I should have picked up on the 1+2 thing not being prime..Hahah

• Like 1