Coral Vue Hydros

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

24393552150_95839a0572_c.jpg

Finally upgraded!

After maintaining my Fluval Spec V (5 Gal) nano tank over the past two years, I really wanted to upgrade to a bigger AIO tank. When the IM Fusion 20 was released last year, I was instantly drawn to it and really wanted it. The only problem? I live in Canada, and the CAD vs USD exchange rate is, well, reflective of our crashing oil prices and economic turmoil.

Last week however I had this great idea. Why don't I call around to the various LFS's and see if they can order me in the tank from IM without the Sky LED's! I mean, IM sells the "tank only" on their website for significantly cheaper than the kit - and really, I don't think those LED's would be as good as my Par38 LED (which might also not even be sufficient enough for this bigger tank.. but we'll see how it goes.) To my surprise.. the LFS was willing to un-box and "part out" the tank only from one of their kits! To add to this, I had $100 in store credit and a $100 gift card from Christmas to this LFS.. I ended up paying out of pocket $108 for the Fusion 20 (Which is equal to $77 USD!)

So it begins.. My new reef build. I'm very excited, but planning carefully and being patient. I've learned alot from my Spec V, and will be implementing everything I now know moving forward with this new tank.

The current plan is to finish my rock scape, cycle the tank using Dr. Tim's, and then slowly transition my livestock from my Spec V over to my Fusion 20. I will also be pulling out an old 240gph powerhead from my Spec V and giving it an extremely well needed vinegar + toothbrush scrub (to avoid any pest algae in the slightest). I'll be investing in an ATO this time, as well as a proper temperature controller. (No plans for a skimmer at this time, as this is a bedroom tank!)

• Like 9

Welcome to the 20 club! They are nice little tanks. One thing I would recommend is to upgrade the pump as the IM pumps are noisy and the flow is not so good.

• Like 1

Welcome to the 20 club! They are nice little tanks. One thing I would recommend is to upgrade the pump as the IM pumps are noisy and the flow is not so good.

I've been reading a little about this, actually. Do you have any suggestions for pump(s) hopefully my LFS has some options or I could just order online and wait while it cycles with the OE pump.

I loved your last tank thread, I can only imagine this will be just as exciting!

Thank you!

These tanks are really cool, I thought about it before I bought the goon.

Can't wait to see this come together.

Thanks man, I've been going thru your thread and it's very impressive. Inspiration - I need to go get my scape done hahaha...

Sounds like a good plan! And having the extra 15 gallons of volume will probably make this tank a bit easier in a lot of ways.

Soooo much more room for activities!!

• Like 2

I have the Sicce 1.5 and love the flow from it. People also run a Cobalt 1200 in them also. I am setting up a Fusion 20 tomorrow and will be using a 1200 in it so will let you know what I think once it is running. That pump is cheaper than the Sicce and probably easier to find.

• Like 1

Scape looks good. Kinda wishing i went with one big island scape rather than 2 smaller islands. Though i would suggest not having the two highest points in the middle.

In terms of pumps, im running 2 sicce syncra 1.5's. I split the return from the Y and have 2 separate ones running. Hopefully enough room for Tunze skimmer down the line.

Going to cycle with Dr Tim's? Still waiting for ammonia, not highly available in Australia!

Time to get some water in it!

• Like 2

Scape looks good. Kinda wishing i went with one big island scape rather than 2 smaller islands. Though i would suggest not having the two highest points in the middle.

In terms of pumps, im running 2 sicce syncra 1.5's. I split the return from the Y and have 2 separate ones running. Hopefully enough room for Tunze skimmer down the line.

Going to cycle with Dr Tim's? Still waiting for ammonia, not highly available in Australia!

Time to get some water in it!

Thank you :) I've changed it around slightly, and leveled the top out a bit after thinking more about coral placement, I don't think any corals would be happy in that "crevice" at the top.

I found both the Sicce's and Cobal pumps, $99Cdn for the Sicce 1.5 at my LFS which is insane!! Damn!! I might do that in the future though, later on haha... When I have a bit more cash to spend :P

Couldn't find Tim's today, might go check somewhere else soon! I got my RODI up and running however, currently filling up a 5G of RODI water!!! :D

• Like 2

Made some changes... :)

24092128223_3f340802ea_c.jpg

Really love the depth this side has, with the cave and valley kinda thing goin on..

How stable is that? Might want to add some epoxy to hold it together! Looks great though :)

• Like 2

How stable is that? Might want to add some epoxy to hold it together.

Haha, look on the left just beside the tank my friend, I got the tube of epoxy there ready!!!! :P :P Hahaha oh yeah this is like a JENGA balanced stack of rocks at the moment .. just one big vibration and it'll all tumble down!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just picture the panic you're having right now thinking I'd leave it this way, but you're being polite in your suggestion. B)

• Like 1

Haha, look on the left just beside the tank my friend, I got the tube of epoxy there ready!!!! :P :P Hahaha oh yeah this is like a JENGA balanced stack of rocks at the moment .. just one big vibration and it'll all tumble down!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just picture the panic you're having right now thinking I'd leave it this way, but you're being polite in your suggestion. B)

I didn't see that! I also added "Looks great" to my post while you were typing :P

TBH I have a big 'ol rock on top of my scape that rocks with EVERY pulse of my wave maker!

• Like 1

99 for the Sicce is about right up north. I think down here I paid 70 on ebay for one. They are not cheap but a nice pump. Remember nothing in this hobby is cheap :lol: They get you with a cheap tank then it all snowballs from there.....

• Like 1

Wow, thats pricey for sicce. I paid $65 for 2 plus shipping, though it was from a wholesaler who sometimes deals direct.

The sicce's are remarkably quiet. I have my 20 setup in my bedroom, about 5m from my bed and can not hear them at all. They were even strong enough to start small water funnels in the tank.

• Like 1

so excited for you!

your rock wall looks a bit flat at the moment though. have you consider coral placement and the shadows created? if you put monti caps or big corals on top, it may shade the lower part of the wall, depending on your light placement. of course, it may just be the angle of the photo and in real life it's has more depth like you said.

• Like 1