Innovative Marine Aquariums

Getting seahorses!

Caitlyn.faithh

Caitlyn.faithh

Ok so I'm getting some dwarf sea horses for my birthday and I need to know some information such as

.can I keep ten in a 7 gallon tank?

. What are som good suggestions on places to get brine shrimp eggs??

. What should I use for hitching posts?

. What is the most I could keep in a 7 gallon tank?

. If I keep ten dwarfs in a tank what are my odd of having fry??

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Hi Caitlyn and welcome to N-R and also the world of seahorses! I don't keep dwarfs but I read a lot about them and researched them as they were a consideration.

1. Yes, I would think a 7 gallon tank would be fine. If its an all in one tank watch the filtration because it could suck the seahorses into the intake. If it is not an AIO then most DSH keepers use a sponge filter.

2. You can buy bbs cysts at most live fish stores. I know San Franscisco bay sell them. Also you can get decapsulated cysts online. They hatch a little faster.

3. Any plastic or artificial plants work for hitching post. Some folks use macro algaes but those need to be dipped to kill pests that might prey on the little ponies.

4. I am not an expert so I am not sure how many a 7g tank could sustain, but in answer to your fifth question from what I have read your odds of having fry are very good.

You should read Polarcollision's thread. She just got dwarf seahorses in the past 2 weeks and she built an automatic brine hatchery that is in the tank and automatically feeds multiple Xs a day. All you do is load it once a day.

Ok so I'm getting some dwarf sea horses for my birthday and I need to know some information such as

.can I keep ten in a 7 gallon tank?

. What are som good suggestions on places to get brine shrimp eggs??

. What should I use for hitching posts?

. What is the most I could keep in a 7 gallon tank?

. If I keep ten dwarfs in a tank what are my odd of having fry??

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Right now Polarcollision's thread is on page 3 in the members section.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337141-polarcollisions-nuvo-24-dwarf-seahorses/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337141-polarcollisions-nuvo-24-dwarf-seahorses/

I would post the link but I am not tech savvy. Oops I guess it did post but at the beginning and she has a lot of pages. Let me see if I can get just one page near the end of her thread that talks about her DSHs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Caitlyn, I kept 50+ in a 10g. You might want to consider getting a few more, as you're going to be putting a lot of hatched brine into the tank to feed them. Order your brine cysts from Brine Shrimp direct, as they will be infinitely fresher than ordering/purchasing from a shop.

I kept mine ponies with some florida photosynthetic gorgonians, rics, and mushrooms, if i remember correctly - it's been a while. Only cuc was snails. Be very, very careful about flow - I lost more than one pony getting stuck to my fenced in, foamed and screened intake.

You will definitely have babies. I only ever fed brine, but they might eat freshly hatched rotifers, too?

where are you getting them from?

Archived