SaltCritters.com

CPR AquaFuge 2 Review - Hang-on SUMP

Najay343

hang-on filtration

hang-oh filtration

primary filter

Overflow pump

Just sharing my experience in my hang-on filtration. In purchasing my new tank and setup, I had decided to drill 0 holes in my new tank for simplicity, no complex plumbing, avoiding leaks and making the tank easier to sell when I decide to upgrade. I came across the CPR AquaFuge and pictured the perfect set up to get everything I need for a sump into the compact unit. I purchased the Mid size AquaFuge 2, 5 stars, I love this thing. I Siliconed a overflow in my DT and the small pump for the AquaFuge fits right into it. Water is pumped into my AquaFuge directly into a filter sock, next to my heater, then to my Mid Size IM Ghost Skimmer, I am currently running two IM Desktop Reactors both with Bio-pellets atm. I also have a sponge in there for surface area for bacteria to grow. Best part is if the power goes out no flooding on either end. I do have a generator so I can run basically everything all the time but in the instance that I need to run bare minimum the one small pump, heater and two reactors are less than 100watts and will keep the fish alive and happy as long as need be. I dont have any trouble keeping my temp maintained having my heater and everything in the AquaFuge and the GPH is relatively low. The gravity fed waterfall return is great for oxygenating the water and keeping good water movement in addition to my two power heads. I did decide to run a Marineland Bio wheel in addition for extra water clarity as initially I was concerned about space and if i would need to run an additional heater in the biowheel filter. Anyway, I believe I packed everything in there I need. Any suggestions of anything I should add.

post-86673-0-09333900-1454131345_thumb.jpg

post-86673-0-06388000-1454131366_thumb.jpg

Looks good, i got a Mid size AquaFuge, works awsome. one question what did you add inside besides the reactors and skimmer? any pics of the whole thing ?? :) just trying to compare as im a nooooooob. lol i currently have only my reactor but thinking of putting my new IM Ghost Skimmer i am getting today. just want to know if u added any sand as well to the bottom.

Looks good, i got a Mid size AquaFuge, works awsome. one question what did you add inside besides the reactors and skimmer? any pics of the whole thing ?? :) just trying to compare as im a nooooooob. lol i currently have only my reactor but thinking of putting my new IM Ghost Skimmer i am getting today. just want to know if u added any sand as well to the bottom.

If you are running it as a refugium, it sounds like you are on the right track, sand, chato, light and reactor. Mine isnt a true refugium, no sand or critters inside of it. It is hard to take pics as it is up against the wall. Basically though, the far left side where the return waterfall is, I have 4x4 sponges stacked top to bottom, One reactor sits on top of the overflow (above my spoges) and the other is just hanging in off of the back. the skimmer fits in like a glove, water cant really get by the skimmer without going through it which is what I like about using this as a hang-on sump. The water has to go through everything. The inlet on the far right is my primary filtration, filtersock and heater. I recently just cleaned it out. I would like to have a actual biofiltration refuge, but I wont be able to use this for that purpose as it is too crammed. I did discover that the inlet hoses can come apart so I may try re-plumbing it in the future or add a refuge off of this perhaps. The cool and sometimes annoying thing I have found my short 3 years in the hobby is that whenever you think of something or finally take the plunge and purchase an expensive piece of equipment, one month later, there is a better version, idea or a new compact more efficient version of the equipment you just purchased. Story of my life...

• 4 weeks later...

I have used an aquafuge (medium) and I have really liked it .. This was with my first 20G long tank.

It work very well as a refugium but I do want to check out to understand better when you say use as sump? How does the ATO work with the aquafuge..? Heater, reacter - all will fit. I think you can get a skimmr in there too.

Archived