inTank Media Baskets

Filling a new tank

aaron186

I am in the process of upgrading from a 10g to a 40gal. I hooked up my RODI unit in the laundry room. I would prefer not to lug 40+ gallons of water to my tank. My RODI unit is also a 90 gpd unit so it will take roughly 12 hours to make all that water. My tank is about 30 feet from the RODI. Would it be possible to use a 30 ft line of RODI tubing to directly fill my tank? Will it be too long of a distance/too much resistance? Anyone else do something similar before? It seems worth the 10 bucks or so that it would cost me to get that long of tubing

Yes you can do that, even with height since I believe it will be a pretty much fixed pressure coming out of the RO unit (unlike an aquarium pump where you have to deal with head pressure). You could use vinyl tubing and zip tie it to the RO unit output, or polypropalene tubing and use a compression fitting to temporarily join the 2 ends. Then use a small clamp or something to secure it to the rim of the tank and let 'er rip. Just set an alarm every once in a while so you remember to check it.

The only annoying thing will be mixing the salt. I would be very difficult to mix all that salt with rock and sand in-place. Even with no rock or sand it's a bit annoying to mix salt in the tank... So If you have rocks and sand in the tank I would just mix it in buckets. If you think about it for 40g it's only 8-9 buckets. Less if you have rock and sand already in the tank.

As long as its not 30 feet higher you won't affect the RO/DI much. 30 feet of 1/4" line at 90 Gpd is not much headloss. If it were 30 feet vertically it would change the waste ratio a bit.

Archived