Pod Your Reef

Mr Aqua 12L and 22L Tanks Discontinued?

MrNanoReef

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marc.The.Shark

Just have one made out of glass or make one for yourself out of acrylic. :D

Yeah, the quote I got for mine (similar dim to 22L), was right around $100 for regular glass. Of course I had to over engineer mine & get 3/8" Starphire, but it was still about the same as the low iron 22. Think mine might have been $20 more or something.

Yeah, the quote I got for mine (similar dim to 22L), was right around $100 for regular glass. Of course I had to over engineer mine & get 3/8" Starphire, but it was still about the same as the low iron 22. Think mine might have been $20 more or something.

Where did you do that? Local or web? I was under the impression that the custom builds were pricey.

Marc.The.Shark

Where did you do that? Local or web? I was under the impression that the custom builds were pricey.

Local to me, guy builds them for LFS's in the area. Got a few quotes from online for decent prices, but the shipping is the killer. Most of the time your LFS can recommend someone local that does custom.

Without getting into specifics, we are working to secure alternative options for affordable, high-quality glass aquariums.

We are confident we'll have something available for you very soon. :)

Mr Aqua is now pushing their new long tank Exquisite 22L. There is a promotion right now for them from local LFS in SoCal.

I actually prefer the 22L dimensions compared to the 12L.

Mr Aqua is now pushing their new long tank Exquisite 22L. There is a promotion right now for them from local LFS in SoCal.

I actually prefer the 22L dimensions compared to the 12L.

yup, the tanks I got both say exquisite on the tank itself

Dang. I did like those tanks. I was thinking about setting up a 12 long tank.

Are the smaller long tanks like the 3 gallon and 6 gallon still being made?

I wanted to turn one of those little ones into a species pom-pom crab tank.

Without getting into specifics, we are working to secure alternative options for affordable, high-quality glass aquariums.

We are confident we'll have something available for you very soon. :)

Affordable and high quality? I'm in :) Glad to know there will be alternatives.

jedimasterben

The 22L hasn't been discontinued BTW. It has basically replaced the 12L.

No, they are both still being produced, but BRS and Marine Depot aren't stocking them anymore, so they're deactivating them. The distributor for Mr Aqua tanks in the US is Sevenports. If you ever wonder what tanks are still being imported, here is where you look: http://sevenports.com/subcategory/rimless-aquarium/

No, they are both still being produced, but BRS and Marine Depot aren't stocking them anymore, so they're deactivating them. The distributor for Mr Aqua tanks in the US is Sevenports. If you ever wonder what tanks are still being imported, here is where you look: http://sevenports.com/subcategory/rimless-aquarium/

Honestly, I wonder if it has anything to do with shipping cost. The tank itself isn't that expensive, but given the length a massive box and a massive amount of packing material is needed. When I got my 12 L, I couldn't believe how big the box was :lol:

jedimasterben

Honestly, I wonder if it has anything to do with shipping cost. The tank itself isn't that expensive, but given the length a massive box and a massive amount of packing material is needed. When I got my 12 L, I couldn't believe how big the box was :lol:

No, otherwise they would not be looking at alternatives. ;)

Plus they still sell bigger and heavier tanks...

Yeah I know - just a thought as the cost of the tank is relatively inexpensive for how much shipping must be which is all I was getting at :) Shipping a system that has a price tag of over say 500 is a little different than a price tag of a tank under 100, but yeah, probably not the shipping cost :)

Besides, corporates usually get a huge reduced rate so i don't think it's the shipping cost. Btw, i never knew BRS was selling these tanks, usually only MD came up in the search.

There is another company that makes the bookshelf tanks in the exact dimensions. 3g, 6.5g, and 12g that can be bought online. Maybe BRS is going to use them.

i wouldn't panic about missing out on those ones.

jedimasterben

Is there a problem with these tanks? I just set up a Mr Aqua 12 (gulp).

No, otherwise Mr Aqua would have disappeared several years ago. The brand is still going strong.

I would imagine they're looking at alternatives to increase their margin on them without needing to raise the price of the tanks. Shipping a large item like these costs boatloads and they are shipping most of them for free, so any extra bit in the margin they can get would be a great benefit. All businesses do things like this, cost analysis, and then start looking at alternatives if it doesn't make fiscal sense to continue on the same path. Businesses gotta stay in business :)

Archived