Pod Your Reef

Help with cycling?

michaelhahn

Just need some opinions here.

New to SW. 15g Aqueon, Koralia 240, 50w Heater, Current orbit marine LED.

Started the tank on 1/24. Mixed the water and added live sand that day. ~16.5lb coralline live rock added the following day, 1/25.

I've been testing my ammonia since then, and it's been sitting more or less constant at 0.25. Nitrite was 0 today, Nitrate was ~5. I'm using the API freshwater test kit (I know, I know. Red Sea titration kits are next on my purchase list).

My question is, all things considered, does it seem like my tank is cycled? I've been testing the ammonia every day, and it hasn't risen at all from 0.25ppm, and I know that there are reports of the API ammonia test reading slightly green when it is actually 0ppm. If it was cycling, I'd at the very least expect the ammonia levels to rise a little bit.

Thoughts?

I missed the ammonia spike with my tank because I added some beneficial bacteria to kick start the cycle, but I did notice a rise in Nitrates which is supposed to happen after the rise in ammonia and nitrite. If you miss the ammonia spike, you should see the nitrate rise, and that should tell you it's cycled. If that hasn't happened yet, I would say wait it out.

Thank you for reminding me, I did add a dose of Niteout II on the first day as well. This was only the first day I tested for nitrates, so let's hope that they do rise within the next day or two so I can add my first critter (:

I have skip cycled every reef I ever bought. no to be all cra but just to be specific to what I brought home. moving that live rock they just want some feed and to be left alone upon setup and get to reefin lol

in some cases we need to verify they aren't leaking ammonia from worm death, and that's rare.

Archived