Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I'm Not Dead....

charnelhouse

But most of my fish are.

Started bringing salinity up on my hospital tank and lost 4 fish in five days. My flasher wrasse, two barnacle blennies and my bigger clownfish all crashed.

I was bringing salinity back up from 1.010 in 2-3 point increments. I was changing two gallons for 1.026 water over the course of an hour or two (one gallon then an hour or so later another gallon). I did this in the morning and evening of the first day which made the total increase in about an 18 hour period .05 (too 1.015). I slowed it down to once a day after that for about .03 a day. I was trying to get back to 1,026 over 7 days.

Lost one of the barnacle blennies on day three. The other barnacle blenny on day four, flasher wrasse on day 5. At this point salinity was at roughly 1.021 and I was freaking out. I threw the clowns back in the DT, as they both seemed fine. Noticed some spotting and mucus on the female that evening and she went downhill from there. The other clown was fine the whole time and is still doing great in the DT.

It's been almost two weeks since the deaths.

I don't think it was ich. I've considered the possibility salinity came up too fast, but I don't think that was it either, although I can't rule it out.

The barnacle blennies pretty much died outright. The flasher wrasse held on for about a day but was having spastic seizures with periods of near inactivity. It was almost like something got into it's brain. The female clown got weaker and weaker until she was getting blown around the DT by flow. She also had some seizure episodes but not as "explosive" as the wrasse though that is probably a function of their differences in swimming ability.

If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I really don't understand what happened and it all happened so fast I really couldn't figure it out in time to save any of them.

Thats so sad! Unfortunately fishes aren't really my expertise but if I were you I wouldn't QT with hypo again, just dose with cupermine for 2 weeks and you're done, 4 weeks top, no waterchange during treatment. That's how I will QT my fishes from now on, in a 5gal bucket with HOB filter and heater for 3-4 weeks. I can see you can't do this with many fishes at once but since you already have a QT tank, that's not a problem for you.

Could it be because you are a Kings fan? ;)

But seriously. Sorry man. I had all my fist in QT for 89 days. Going into the tank on the 90th. 3 of 5 died on the night of the 89th day. They died from too high a salinity as I had slacked on topping off over 3 or so days. So I think yours was a salinity issue. Next time try copper treatment or prazipro. I just treated my latest group of fish with copper for 9 days. So far so good.

Thats so sad! Unfortunately fishes aren't really my expertise but if I were you I wouldn't QT with hypo again, just dose with cupermine for 2 weeks and you're done, 4 weeks top, no waterchange during treatment. That's how I will QT my fishes from now on, in a 5gal bucket with HOB filter and heater for 3-4 weeks. I can see you can't do this with many fishes at once but since you already have a QT tank, that's not a problem for you.

Water changes are fine you just have to dose back to the recommended level. I change my QT water atleast once a week.

But seriously. Sorry man. I had all my fist in QT for 89 days. Going into the tank on the 90th. 3 of 5 died on the night of the 89th day. They died from too high a salinity as I had slacked on topping off over 3 or so days. So I think yours was a salinity issue. Next time try copper treatment or prazipro. I just treated my latest group of fish with copper for 9 days. So far so good.

Water changes are fine you just have to dose back to the recommended level. I change my QT water atleast once a week.

I can't ever keep up with how much I should dose back in so with only 1-2 small fishes, wc wasn't needed for me.

It's probably because I don't tell Pens fans to eat a phallus as often as I should....

I was torn between copper and hypo and opted for the "less chemical" choice. Hindsight...

Chalking it up to lesson learned. If I can figure out what the lesson was....

Oh yeah:

ALWAYS QT new fish!!!!!!!!

It's probably because I don't tell Pens fans to eat a phallus as often as I should....

I was torn between copper and hypo and opted for the "less chemical" choice. Hindsight...

Chalking it up to lesson learned. If I can figure out what the lesson was....

Oh yeah:

ALWAYS QT new fish!!!!!!!!

Lesson is salinity shock. Mine died the same way. The 2 that made it are perfectly fine. The 3 that died looked fine in every aspect. Well except the whole no heartbeat thing. I used Cupramine for 1 month and then just did water changes weekly. Eventually there was no trace after a few 5 gallon changes.

hockeyhead019

I see we agree on something. Sorry to hear about the fish though, my guess is with the rest of them, probably the salinity swing

Archived