SaltCritters.com

Can anyone identify, and is it harmful?

roaddogg_69

I bought a 7 gallon Aqua One Reflex 26 about a week ago. It is my fist saltwater tank. I also bought 4 piece on mixed live rock and a sand substrate. The live rock is supposed to be free of pest because on the long duration that the LFS told me that had it. It was in and area where water is always running off it. I used the saltwater that the LFS supplied me, which is mixed with salt and has bacteria in it. One of the pieces of live rock has some kind of Algae on it. Can anyone identify it, is it dead or alive, is it something I should try to remove or it can be consumed by the clean up crew?

Thank you.

post-90369-0-10690300-1453946863_thumb.jpeg

It's common hair algae. I'd try and get rid of it before you add any livestock. I'd buy two gallons of 3% hydrogen peroxide (put it in a five gallon bucket), stir in a cup of salt mix and dissolve, while wearing eye protection use a vegetable brush to scrub the rock in the salty peroxide, let it sit out of the bucket for a couple of minutes to drain and oxidize (another empty bucket works good for this), then return the rock to your tank. This is too harsh for rock with coral on it, but should be fine for bare rock.

If you have any cuts on your hands, or have sensitive skin, you might want to use rubber gloves. You might have to repeat the process in 10 days to get rid of it all.

Archived