inTank Media Baskets

pongpit's 2 gal nano tank it's a 11 months glass vase

pongpit

hello everyone! this is my first time come to nanoreef. I am come from China. I like nano tank so much.

my English is poor, there will be some grammatical error probably, sorry for you :)

2016.7.22 >>>>>>>More Pics

33m5u2o.jpg

11tvp7b.jpg

2ennali.jpg

2llogw7.jpg

8xpu2x.jpg

24xpb0k.jpg

tank size: diameter 19cm,high 28cm

water capacity: 8L about 2.1gal

salt: aquariumsystems

filter: eheim classic 150

Lighting:DIY led

2hnsy08.jpg

I bought this glass vase for my first time to keep tropical fish 6 years ago. Its a vase for flowers from an ordinary supermarket actuallyand I refit it to my first planted aquarium.Then I became a saltwater hobbyist,and I just threw my hat in the nano tank battle with this glass vase,tried to reduce cost on keeping a reef tank.

2s6r4av.jpg

This tank could hold less than 8L waterAfter I put corals inthere is just 5-6L water in it now.So I have to keep it in the way different from the ordinary large reef tank.There is no skimmerno powerheadjust use the Eheim 150 Classic and Eheim substart pro to run the system. MeanwhileEheim 150 Classic can make some waves in the vase. Lots of people object to use external canister filter and artificial filter material,in my opinion,there is no perfect way and equipment, every coin has two sideswe could foster strengths and circumvent weaknessesaccording to our own circumstance.BTW,cause there is no skimmer,I put a little air pump in to add oxygen.

2h80klz.jpg

Speak of lightingI made a LED by myself,include 3 blue2white1 purple lamp beads3W each.

280t5bo.jpg

At the beginningfishes are not in the plan. After 2monthsthe system became stablerI put 2 Banggai Cardinalfish inbut they seem dont get on very well together,hahah,live in their respective territory every day, non-aggression, only interact when they eat together.

35jcjuv.jpg

On algaes controlling,I depend on 3 Saron Shrimps,they keep the whole tank very cleanso I just need to wipe it now and then. Generally speaking,I used to wipe the the obverse sideand keep the other side dirtyto make the algaes grow wildly,they can be the plentiful food for shrimps.BTWalgaes can absorb the nutrients.

Until now,I havent test the water for even once,I usually evaluate the quantity of water by observing the condition of coralsI think data is not the only standard,its just for referencethe condition of creature is more direct.Luckily,creatures live very well in the past 8 months,SPS are obviously growingeven can cut for friends as gifts:) This tank is too small,so I considered the trend of the coral growing at the very beginning, cause even my hand is too large for adjusting the corals,I usually use the tweezers.

o0qfl4.jpg

Corals: Tube Coral, Frogspawn coral, Starburst Polyp, Hard Tube Coco Worm,Flowerpot coral, Xenia, Zoanthids, 3 Montipora digitata, Seriatopora hystrix, Open brain coral, Elegance Coral and 2 kinds of unknown SPS.

Fish&others:2 Banggai Cardinalfish, 3 Saron Shrimps, Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Anemone Shrimp.

maintenance instructions

When the temperature and salinity are equal between fresh water and old waterI will change. I use the air tube of air pump to change 80% water in every week,the tube could keep the progress more slowlyreduce the crash for creatures.At the same time,it sucks the wastes subsided.

So farI havent add any elements except fresh waterbut as the SPS growing,I will add some at the right momentstill based on the condition of all the creatures.

I feed fish with the freezed brine shrimp and Hikari,time is random,sometimes everyday, sometimes over one or two days. For coralsI stired coral foods in advance feed corals in the other larger tankand then use the injector to shoot the rest to corals in this tank.

In generalthis little tank havent cost too much timeI wont disturb the growing of creatures in it as well.Dont touch frequentlykeep a stable habit to maintain the ecosystemobvious the creaturesthese are what I learned from successful feeders. Take your time will be faster.Have fun!

20a3o5j.jpg

3091zdy.jpg

Did you purchase the corals as frags? Or close to as they are?

Part of it is to buy, a part of other friends of the coral to send, a part of my own coral reproduction

Very nice! Looks like it is doing very well.

thanks!

Not very much room for the fish. Great idea and coral appear to be thriving however.

thanks! There are little small for the fish, but only two small fish, I think it should be good

That's a lot packed in that small container this is really neat!

thanks!

• 2 months later...

Montipora digitata Growth comparison

5ze5j.jpg

ncnplz.jpg

mw41ll.jpg

2ivfg5w.jpg

xlwh7d.jpg

2i7vgx3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a9v47q.jpg

256clr4.jpg

1zbz414.jpg

28vx79w.jpg

2s1oho7.jpg

2mmsi8p.jpg

24n00at.jpg

Very nice! Do you dose or feed anything to the tank?

So far I haven't add any elements except fresh water but as the SPS growing,I will add some at the rn the condition of all the creatures.

Montipora digitata Growth comparison

5ze5j.jpg

ncnplz.jpg

mw41ll.jpg

2ivfg5w.jpg

xlwh7d.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a9v47q.jpg

256clr4.jpg

1zbz414.jpg

28vx79w.jpg

2s1oho7.jpg

Yeah those digis grow like crazy! Awesome looking tank by the way.

Very nice. I like it.

thanks! :)

Yeah those digis grow like crazy! Awesome looking tank by the way.

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived