inTank Media Baskets

How do you clean OUTIDSIDE aquarium glass?

pgrVII

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be careful with these. I have heard stories of the chemicals from the windex eventually seeping through the glass and harming stuff inside.

Do chemicals from inside the tank seep to the outside of the glass?

Things can seep through glass???

No that is ridiculous,

I've used Windex for 10 years on a reef tank to clean the outside glass and there is no problem. I do spray it onto the paper towel so that I don't have any over spray into the tank.

Windex. I live on the edge.

Rodi water and a squeegee

This is the most funny thread I have ever read. Yes I've used windex also, or whatever is around like homemade cleaner of - Rubbing alcohol, vinegar and a drop of dish soap.

No that is ridiculous,

I've used Windex for 10 years on a reef tank to clean the outside glass and there is no problem. I do spray it onto the paper towel so that I don't have any over spray into the tank.

From what I have heard glass is slightly porous but not so much that windex could transfer through it.

This is the most funny thread I have ever read. Yes I've used windex also, or whatever is around like homemade cleaner of - Rubbing alcohol, vinegar and a drop of dish soap.

You clearly haven't read the Lounge.

Things can seep through glass???

Yes. Baseballs, golf balls, bullets, and anything caught in hurricane or tornado force winds..like a bottle of windex or a volvo.. Or a cow...

Lol, the first time I cleaned it with Windex, then I read you're not supposed to do that. I thought it was ridiculous too that it could somehow go through the glass, but I bought some of the Kent stuff anyway. Haven't used it yet so not sure how it sizes up.

From what I have heard glass is slightly porous but not so much that windex could transfer through it.

It is but the pores are so small that only light can pass through. :blink:

Lol, the first time I cleaned it with Windex, then I read you're not supposed to do that. I thought it was ridiculous too that it could somehow go through the glass, but I bought some of the Kent stuff anyway. Haven't used it yet so not sure how it sizes up.

You'll love it!! I promise :flower:

You'll love it!! I promise :flower:

I'm holding you to it! Doing a water change this weekend so I'm sure I'll be trying it out for the first time.

thecoralbeauty

I've only ever used fresh water and shirt sleeve/ old dish towel. Tried windex once- didnt see anything spectacularly different- and decided it wasn't worth the risk/ effort.

Normally I just buff the glass with a towel.

If really dirty, spray windex like product on a paper towel to wipe down the glass then buff with normal towel.

If there's a fish near the surface they will die. Guaranteed!

I use the wet paper towel that has glass cleaner on it to wipe the inside of my sump :) stick it right down in the water :)

Archived