SaltCritters.com

Occelaris or blood orange?

newbiereeferrob

newbiereeferrob

When I bought him he was listed as an ocellaris but he clearly had a different coloration which is beautiful, however I want to fine him a buddy but dont want to get anything until I am sure of the species. Could he be a blood orange clown?

post-90034-0-45865800-1453923353_thumb.jpg

Simulated Fish

When I bought him he was listed as an ocellaris but he clearly had a different coloration which is beautiful, however I want to fine him a buddy but dont want to get anything until I am sure of the species. Could he be a blood orange clown?[/size]

This is a Halloween Clown. I have one, it is pretty much a designer mocha clown. They are hard to find info on but here is it'sbreading info.

http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Aquacultured/Clownfish-Aquacultured/Amphiprion-ocellaris-x-A.-ocellaris-var./Ocellaris-Mocha/Halloween

I am currently in the same boat. I bought one because I didn't think it was right to have 2 in a biocube 8g. Now I can't find another because the LFS said the breader moved out of state.

newbiereeferrob

dang, definitely wanted 2 clowns, but He is very beautiful so im ok with just the one... and since this post i decided to just go with a six line wrass instead of the additional clown

I still keep going back to the symmetrical center stripe on this one. I can't think of an ocellaris with 3 bars where the center bar doesn't aim toward their head.

Either way, you should be able to tell for sure in a year or two.

Simulated Fish

dang, definitely wanted 2 clowns, but He is very beautiful so im ok with just the one... and since this post i decided to just go with a six line wrass instead of the additional clown

You can mix clowns, you just need to stay in the same family. I'm actually going to pick up mocha tomorrow since my new tank finally cycled. :)

newbiereeferrob

You can mix clowns, you just need to stay in the same family. I'm actually going to pick up mocha tomorrow since my new tank finally cycled. :)

Ah, didnt know that! but either way im fully stocked now with the clown, royal G, 6 line, and a blue spotted watchman goby

I've got an orange female ocellaris and a male black and white ocellaris with orange on the tip of his face and on his lips like lipstick lol.

Do clowns breed together if they are a different species? Don't know at all, just asking. I wonder if the f1 would be fertile. Don't mind me, I wonder a lot of things lol.

Ocellaris and a maroon pair?

Yeah. The blood orange clown from ORA is a ocellaris / maroon hybrid and typically has a very similar middle stripe. If you look at almost any ocellaris, normal pattern or designer, it's very difficult to change the shape of the center stripe. It's either gone, looks normal, or they've selectively bred ones with completely misshapen ones.

When I bought him he was listed as an ocellaris but he clearly had a different coloration which is beautiful, however I want to fine him a buddy but dont want to get anything until I am sure of the species. Could he be a blood orange clown?

It looks like a Blood Orange. I have a Mai Tai which is similar to a blood orange. Mine has grown larger than an occy, not maroon size yet but she is still young so who knows. Mine is currently tolerating a male snowflake, took me weeks to convince her not to kill him. They definitely have some maroon attitude in them.

Sounds like you may have to upgrade your tank. Live Aquaria lists blood orange max size as 6 inches but no idea if that is accurate.

Archived