Coral Vue Hydros

First loss...randall pistol vs YWG

Aurortpa

So, I might have just had my first loss in my tank. My YWG spotted my Randall pistol shrimp but instead of befriending he attempted to eat him! I believe the trauma has gotten the best of the shrimp...

The Randall was 3/4ths of an inch and the watchman is relatively small, maybe a couple inches. He was unable to eat him in the end and I was unable to intervene in time.

Has anybody had this experience? Is there a better type of pistol the YWG would pair with? It was very upsetting to watch. :(

Well that certainly is a bummer...

Did you have adequate depth sand bed with lots of opportunities for building caves and such?

It may have simply been a bad pairing... maybe the shrimp was too small and the goby large enough that it viewed the shrimp more as food?

Was the goby eating well otherwise?

Was the shrimp in good health?

sorry to hear.. that's crazy! I got very lucky as I was really worried if mine would pair. Yellow Watchman and Tiger Pistol. Put them in the tank at the same time and they've been doing great for close to 3 years.

My LFS sells them for 15 bucks already paired and that is an amazing deal so I got it. Typically YWGs are a bit large for randall's. My randall's is paired with a Hi Fin. It's great to watch.

Well that certainly is a bummer...

Did you have adequate depth sand bed with lots of opportunities for building caves and such?

It may have simply been a bad pairing... maybe the shrimp was too small and the goby large enough that it viewed the shrimp more as food?

Was the goby eating well otherwise?

Was the shrimp in good health?

Yeah, they both had their own cave and burrow on opposite sides of the tank. The pistol is relatively new and was wandering near the YWG and got spotted. It was very early in the morning before anybody got fed today so maybe the YWG was hungry. But that's like me eating my dog kind of hungry lol...

So those of you trying to pair off your pistol and goby, make sure the pistol is big enough...lesson learned.

I'm going to see if I can find a bigger pistol--I'm thinking that was the problem. If he couldn't fit in the goby's mouth this wouldn't have been an issue. Really feel bad for the little guy!

Oh how sad! I guess I was lucky - husband picked up a ywg, at least 2 inches, back in Sept. Ordered an A. randalli a couple of weeks later from our LFS and he was tiny - about 1/2 inch. Put him in the tank and the ywg went to it immediately, the tiny pistol shot at him, but within an hour they were inseparable. Hooe your next pistol appeals to your ywg! They are great to watch when the appear out of their tunnels.

They are my avatar ;-)

I'm so sorry, that sucks. I'm going to have to read up on this relationship. It sounds interesting. After like a month passes I'm going to need to pick out a new fish community. Maybe I'll get a pair.

So I made sure the new pistol has a bigger gun this time. :haha:

They said it's a tiger pistol, but I haven't seen tiger pistols with blue claws?

Definitely makes a pop, went to feed him in the cave he settled in (with a turkey baster of course lol) and it was a lot louder than I was expecting!

post-90071-0-12437300-1453935156_thumb.jpg

Watch that one closely, I just got a tiger and am still reeling from his destruction/construction.

As for the blue claws, that might actually be a bullseye pistol. Check them out they're beautiful!

I thought he might have been a bullseye but he lacks the dots on the side. Just a color variance of the tiger. He already dug tunnels all over the rock I put him near. Hoping he stays there!

The goby and him have a few weeks to be friendly or this lil dude is getting evicted and traded, lol.

Sweet shrimp!

I have a small mantis but I never get to hear it click on stuff... My wife tells me she hears it all the time but by the time I get home it's usually sealed up in it's little burrow.

I've thought about a pistol/YWG pair though... good luck with the new shrimp.

Is it not uncommon for YWGs to attack inverts? At least 3 out of 4 of my sexy shrimp have gone missing...

Well, mine has never attacked my ornamental shrimp like my yellow CBS or large cleaner shrimp but I can say for certain that if it might fit in his mouth, he'll try.

Well, mine has never attacked my ornamental shrimp like my yellow CBS or large cleaner shrimp but I can say for certain that if it might fit in his mouth, he'll try.

he's not huge and seems to even have issues with eating mysis shrimp. So I'm pretty sure he didn't eat them, but maybe killed him? Could be my cleaner shrimp too or my mp10... I kinda want to figure this out I was really excited to have a small group of sexies, but now I only have 1 left :(

he's not huge and seems to even have issues with eating mysis shrimp. So I'm pretty sure he didn't eat them, but maybe killed him? Could be my cleaner shrimp too or my mp10... I kinda want to figure this out I was really excited to have a small group of sexies, but now I only have 1 left :(

Hmm, do you even find bodies? Could be he kills them and the cleaner eats them? I would not trust my goby with sexy shrimp, they are so cute tho!

My wheelers lives with tiny gobies and sexy shrimp/pom pom peacefully but a YWG is more boisterous and grows bigger in my experience. They may try to catch a sexy, sexys are fast though. Every skunk cleaner shrimp I have owned has hated smaller shrimp too. My cleaner would chase the sexy's and peppermint shrimp (he ignored the fire shrimp, I think because the fire shrimp was as big as him) but he could never catch them.

Hmm, do you even find bodies? Could be he kills them and the cleaner eats them? I would not trust my goby with sexy shrimp, they are so cute tho!

No bodies… just MIA.

My wheelers lives with tiny gobies and sexy shrimp/pom pom peacefully but a YWG is more boisterous and grows bigger in my experience. They may try to catch a sexy, sexys are fast though. Every skunk cleaner shrimp I have owned has hated smaller shrimp too. My cleaner would chase the sexy's and peppermint shrimp (he ignored the fire shrimp, I think because the fire shrimp was as big as him) but he could never catch them.

I haven't seen any hostility towards the last sexy shrimp… So I'm just really confused.

Well believe it or not, I traded the Tiger for another Randall's...this one tho is much bigger than the original! Actually carrying eggs too, gonna post in a new thread see if somebody has experience with that! :D

Archived