Cultivated Reef

DIY Powerhead cover? Foam? Need help.

Angeles

I have kind of an issue. I purchased a hydor koralia 600 for my 29 biocube several months ago, and it seems to be working well. I plan to eventually invest in an MP10, but for the time being I don't want to put all my cash into that yet. The problem is, I really want to get a BTA. If I'm going to get one, I'm at least going to go for rose, so I don't want to lose that investment in a toxic puree. Also, I know it would decimate my tank... :angry: . Basically, what can I use to cover my hydor koralia 600 so that my new nem doesn't become a delicious nutritious smoothie? I am open to DIY, and basically any ideas...

Thanks for the help!

Put the foot of a pair of tights over the pump. Problem solved.

Like pantyhose? I've read that that might work. Will this affect the flow? Can I remove it after the nem has settled in after like 2-3 weeks?

Yes you guys the other side of the pond would refer to them as pantyhose.

It will affect flow slightly and get progressively worse as the material gets clogged with crap. But if you clean/replace the cover regularly you shouldn't notice much performance loss.

I was just planning on glueing some wedding tulle over it

Okay. That seems like a good solution but I might go with pantyhose because it's easier for now. Thanks!

Yes you guys the other side of the pond would refer to them as pantyhose.

It will affect flow slightly and get progressively worse as the material gets clogged with crap. But if you clean/replace the cover regularly you shouldn't notice much performance loss.

I think I'll go with pantyhose for the time being, until I can get an mp10. That won't input anything into my water, right?

I think I'll go with pantyhose for the time being, until I can get an mp10. That won't input anything into my water, right?

Shouldn't do. Go for none dyed ones (so natural colour). People use them as media bags and all sorts with no issues.

Archived