Coral Vue Hydros

Vermetid snails--need help!

Angeles

I have a 29g, with what seems to be vermetid snails. They only spit their mucus at water changes. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get rid of these guys? I know they typically aren't that bad in small numbers, but I despise the look of the little buggers. If you want to see pictures, there are some on my tank thread, link in signature. Thanks for the help!

tweezers. and pinch em off at their base

Okay, but there might be too many for that. Can I pick off the easy ones, then simply utterly crush, obliterate, demolish any on the wall?

oh no! I was just searching for any recent topics on these horrible creatures today.

I read that Yellow Coris Wrasse MIGHT eat them, I got one and the fish didn't last long so I didn't really learn anything. I have thousands in my tank. I've done superglue on the larger ones- that works. I try to smash / scrape off the smaller ones. Careful with just snapping them off, the bigger ones will retract into the tube below where it broke and you accomplish nothing.

Have never noticed my wrasse eating them. I scrape them off the back wall with a razor blade, but they are rampant in my back chamber where I keep the heater. They must love warmer water. I hate the buggers.

Have never noticed my wrasse eating them. I scrape them off the back wall with a razor blade, but they are rampant in my back chamber where I keep the heater. They must love warmer water. I hate the buggers.

yeah, I think the wrasse is hit or miss. I'll try a razor blade!

oh no! I was just searching for any recent topics on these horrible creatures today.

I read that Yellow Coris Wrasse MIGHT eat them, I got one and the fish didn't last long so I didn't really learn anything. I have thousands in my tank. I've done superglue on the larger ones- that works. I try to smash / scrape off the smaller ones. Careful with just snapping them off, the bigger ones will retract into the tube below where it broke and you accomplish nothing.

Yeah, they're terrible. My tank is probably a bit small for one, but I might just try superglue/scraping. They're filter feeders, so anything you stir up or put into the water will cause those nasty webs, and then make them reproduce. I read that you can take a small needle and just stick it down the tube and mush it around for a couple seconds and that kills it. I might try that or superglue. Honestly, as long as they don't become too invasive they aren't that bad so I would focus on getting rid of as many as you can, but don't stress about eradicating every last one. They don't actually kill your livestock.

I smahsed them off my live rock in the display tank. My rock in the sump is covered with them. They stopped growing in the display tank. I think the population got too large in the sump for them to grow in the display.

I smahsed them off my live rock in the display tank. My rock in the sump is covered with them. They stopped growing in the display tank. I think the population got too large in the sump for them to grow in the display.

Interesting, might be worth a try!

Glue over the top opening with super glue.

This.

I had one on the back of my rock work that would slime up at least twice a day. I finally had it with him and put the nozzle of super glue gel right at the opening of the shell. Squeezed and i watched the glue seep into the entire shell.

there is no more sliming :P

This.

I had one on the back of my rock work that would slime up at least twice a day. I finally had it with him and put the nozzle of super glue gel right at the opening of the shell. Squeezed and i watched the glue seep into the entire shell.

there is no more sliming :P

That's good, but when I have seemingly dozens or even hundreds, what am I supposed to do?

This is an interesting Idea. I wonder how that works?

I have lots and more and more appear... Don't like them but I feel like it's a lost battle to try to get rid of all of them...

this is how I'm starting to feel.

If you really want to get rid of them, use a razer blade and cut at the base. Gluing the top of hundreds of them isn't feasible in my opinion.

Yeah, I would think so. I'll try a razor blade, or the needle thing...

I really wish I knew what they were, when there were just a few! I'm pretty sure I got one traveling on a frag. I just thought it was a dried up zoa polyp... How am I supposed to know?

Yeah no kidding - I'm all about spreading awareness . I had just 1 for months and months , it was huge and I didn't know what it was , I thought it looked interesting so I fed it one day . That was 3-4 years ago , now I have 50,000

Yeah no kidding - I'm all about spreading awareness . I had just 1 for months and months , it was huge and I didn't know what it was , I thought it looked interesting so I fed it one day . That was 3-4 years ago , now I have 50,000

Yeah, I didn't know what it was at first, but then it took off...

Its also frustrating they don't have a natural predator... Add some crab or shrimp to get rid of them (or at the very least keep them in check), that would be amazing!

I have them in both my tanks and have never found a solution. I've done superglue, a needle, scraping them off with a razor blade. The easiest way I've found is to use a small pair of curved forceps to crush the base of the shell. The forceps are like little pliers and can get into all the nooks and crannies.

Unfortunately, short of taking all the rock out and crushing the ones on the bottom of the rocks, there's no way to get them all. And even when I've done just that in my 4g tank, they always come back a month or two later.

• 2 months later...

sorry for necro-ing a thread but im currently going through this same issue and this is the latest one lol.

I have a 29 and im about to bring an emerald crab to see if it works. Best case, no more of this. Worst Case, i get to go back to the LFS lol. I also heard Yellow Coris Wrasse may do the trick

Just my 2 cents. I crush the hell out of them with tweezers. To the point that I also crush off part of the rock. These guys can have deep, long caves. You have to been certain you get it all.

These bastards will irritate zoa's enough to kill them.

Archived