ReefCleaners.org

Angeles' 29 Cube!

Angeles

Beautiful tank! And welcome to N-R :welcome:

I did the same thing when I got started. I lurked here forever learning everything I could, and I didn't even start a tank thread until six months after it was established. I have loved every minute of it ever since!

Have you decided what to do about the emerald crab yet? In my experience once they get a taste from something in the tank, no amount of extra feeding seems to distract them away from it :)

Thank you! I joined way back in the research stage, but haven't really been active for a couple years. I only started my tank about 1 year ago, but it's been slow going.

As for the emerald, I temporarily moved the duncans away and he doesn't seem to be bothering any other corals. If I catch him again, he's gone. Until then, I'm just waiting for them to take care of what little bubble algae there is, and I'll take him back after. No sense in risking any of my corals.

If I have to take them out before they find all the bubble algae, is there a good way to manually control it? I have an empty InTank fuge basket that I could fill with chaeto, but manual removal would probably be preferable.Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been around on NR for a while, but I never really started a thread for my tank. Since I just recently had some time off, I decided I might have some extra time on my hands to do a thread. It's a relatively young Biocube 29, without a ton of livestock yet. please excuse the cheapo thermometer, it'll be gone soon enough. Here is an FTS: (1-25-15)

vEke1Ak.jpg

Holy moly! That's the biggest RFA I've ever seen!

Everything looks wonderful and your clowns are adorable :)

Holy moly! That's the biggest RFA I've ever seen!

Everything looks wonderful and your clowns are adorable :)

Thanks. :) It's gigantic. they're great! ;)

So as far as the emerald crabs, I don't really know what to do. Since I put them in, they've basically only been hanging out on one side of the tank, eating. I caught one eating my duncan, so I moved it up top, and it seems to be doing better. What bubble algae was on the left side where they are seems to have been eaten, which is a good thing. I don't see them ever really going onto the other side of the tank, where there's some more of it, and I want to take them back. I suspect one to be eating part of my acans as well. :furious:

My question is, how should I go about removing bubble algae manually?

So as far as the emerald crabs, I don't really know what to do. Since I put them in, they've basically only been hanging out on one side of the tank, eating. I caught one eating my duncan, so I moved it up top, and it seems to be doing better. What bubble algae was on the left side where they are seems to have been eaten, which is a good thing. I don't see them ever really going onto the other side of the tank, where there's some more of it, and I want to take them back. I suspect one to be eating part of my acans as well. :furious:

My question is, how should I go about removing bubble algae manually?

I no longer get emerald crabs because I never have luck with them. They have always gone for my coral eventually. I have bubble algae and I manually remove it with a coral scalpel...like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Boston_Aqua_Farms_Soft_Coral_Scalpel_Coral_Fragging_Tools_-Boston_Aqua_Farms-BA1331-FIMTCP-vi.html

It does a good job of knocking it loose without breaking it. Do this with the flow off. And then suck up the bubbles with a gravel vac or with a net when you turn the flow back on. I think once you have bubble algae it's a never ending battle. At least from my experience. It is what it is and I just deal with it as part of my weekly maintenance.

I no longer get emerald crabs because I never have luck with them. They have always gone for my coral eventually. I have bubble algae and I manually remove it with a coral scalpel...like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Boston_Aqua_Farms_Soft_Coral_Scalpel_Coral_Fragging_Tools_-Boston_Aqua_Farms-BA1331-FIMTCP-vi.html

It does a good job of knocking it loose without breaking it. Do this with the flow off. And then suck up the bubbles with a gravel vac or with a net when you turn the flow back on. I think once you have bubble algae it's a never ending battle. At least from my experience. It is what it is and I just deal with it as part of my weekly maintenance.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm done with the crabs. I'll get used to taking out the algae, and try to stay optimistic. I had dinos in the beginning, and dealt with those eventually, so this can't be harder than that!

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm done with the crabs. I'll get used to taking out the algae, and try to stay optimistic. I had dinos in the beginning, and dealt with those eventually, so this can't be harder than that!

It really isn't. Just stay on top of it. Like I said..it's part of my weekly maintenance. It's super easy for me to keep under control :).

It really isn't. Just stay on top of it. Like I said..it's part of my weekly maintenance. It's super easy for me to keep under control :).

Perfect. As far as that green leather, I think the clowns are actually helping! It hasn't fully stretched out yet today, but I'm getting good polyp extension. Some of the space in between the branches has what appears to be strings of a slime-like substance... Any ideas? :)

Perfect. As far as that green leather, I think the clowns are actually helping! It hasn't fully stretched out yet today, but I'm getting good polyp extension. Some of the space in between the branches has what appears to be strings of a slime-like substance... Any ideas? :)

Sounds like maybe it was closed up because it's growing. The strings of slime sound like shedding! Google leather shedding and see if it looks like yours :). That's great news!

Sounds like maybe it was closed up because it's growing. The strings of slime sound like shedding! Google leather shedding and see if it looks like yours :). That's great news!

I googled finger leather shedding and it looks a lot like it! I'll update you when I know for sure.

Everything is looking good today! The duncan is looking happier, and the clowns are great.

FTS 1-28-16

d2l8s8Ph.jpg

j5ZY4vIh.jpg

I'm pretty sure the leather coral shedded, because now we have great polyp and branch extension and spread. Thanks Gena :) .

3dQ2b8Ch.jpg

I love these guys, and he was in the perfect picture spot. By far my favorite type of hermit.

WGaxNv2h.jpg

Lastly, a cool edit that I made of the female clown. They're happily accepting brine shrimp, but I might order some of the Fauna Marin clownfish food.

Tomorrow, my BRS order of a Tunze Osmolator, RKL, BRS two part dosing pump, nice refractometer, and Red Sea test kits come. I'll post pics when the goodies come! ;)

Great pics and everything looks so happy and healthy. Glad the leather is doing well. I like the speeding clownfish!

Thanks! I'm very happy about that. Yeah, the way they swim is so unique to this type of clown. I think soon, I'll get an mp10 with foam cover and then a RBTA, so they'll host. The Red Sea clown is one of the only clowns that naturally hosts BTAs in the wild, so they'll most definitely host it. I'm excited!

Yep...it was just in it's shedding phase :). My fiji just did that recently. Everything looks fantastic!

Did you order some LC acans?

Thanks! Not yet, I'm waiting for everything to stabilize a bit after adding the clowns. I'll see how they do, and maybe sometime next week. :) I know exactly what I want to order, though. The rainbow pack, and a couple of others. I love the carnivals!

So today, some packages arrived at my door via UPS omgomgomg!

What I ordered from BRS and InTank was:

-Tunze Osmolator ATO

-ReefKeeper Lite

-BRS Two Part Dosing Pump x2

-Refractometer

-Red Sea Cal/Alk/Mag Test Kit Pro

-Filter Media replacements from InTank

These should really help with my maintenance routine and maintaining stability of the water parameters!

aUVLE85h.jpg

Osmolator ATO System. Can't wait to hook this up!

nHTgTRAh.jpg

Filter Media, should last me a good while.

c2BegU3h.jpg

One of the BRS brand two part dosing pumps, gets great reviews and I'm excited to see how it works. I hope they fit...

rzG2838h.jpg

Finally, the RKL! I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now. :D

I'll post pics when it's all set up, because this could take some time!

Nice haul! You're going to have some fun getting all that setup and figuring out how it works. The osmolator alone took me all night until I finally figured out the overflow sensor gets mounted upside down :lol:

Nice haul! You're going to have some fun getting all that setup and figuring out how it works. The osmolator alone took me all night until I finally figured out the overflow sensor gets mounted upside down :lol:

Oh, jeez. Well, I guess I'll ask you if I'm having trouble! :)

I've been around on NR for a while, but I never really started a thread for my tank. Since I just recently had some time off, I decided I might have some extra time on my hands to do a thread. It's a relatively young Biocube 29, without a ton of livestock yet. please excuse the cheapo thermometer, it'll be gone soon enough. Here is an FTS: (1-25-16)

vEke1Akh.jpg

Tank: Coralife Biocube 29 Gallon

Lighting: Stock Lighting (nano box incoming)

Filtration: InTank Media Basket: Purigen, Filter Floss, and Chemi Pure Elite

InTank Fuge Basket (Empty for now)

15-25 lbs Live Rock

Return: Stock Return Pump

Flow: Hydor Koralia 600

Livestock

Fish:

Clown pair(Amphiprion bicinctus)

Hi Fin Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)

Inverts:

Randall's Pistol Shrimp(Alpheus randalli)

Rock Flower Anemone

Various Hermits/Snails

Peppermint Shrimp

Thousands of tiny Brittle Stars

2x Emerald Crab

Coral:

Open Brain Coral

Duncan Coral

Neon Leather

Red People Eaters

Tyree Space Monsters

Various Acans

Candy Cane (Green)

Purple Grape Frogspawn

Various Ricordea

Green Mushroom

Neon Orange Mushroom

Maintenance:

16% Water Change- weekly/bi-weekly

B-ionic Cal/Alk Two Part- Daily

Kent Marine Tech I- Weekly

Kent Marine Magnesium

Testing Water Weekly- API kits

Mysis Shrimp every other day

Coral Food Mix every other day

Clean Glass as needed

As far as livestock, plans are a pair of clowns, and at least one other fish. Also, intend to order higher lighting among other upgrades. I am completely open to suggestions, help, and questions about this build. I will also use this thread for any problems I might have. Do any of you have stocking ideas? Anything I should change? Coral/aquascaping ideas? I am thankful for all the help!

Holy freakin Rock Flower! I haven't gotten the chance to peruse your whole thread as I am about to fall asleep but it looks amazing from the FTS!

Holy freakin Rock Flower! I haven't gotten the chance to peruse your whole thread as I am about to fall asleep but it looks amazing from the FTS!

I know, right? Thanks!!

Its so much fun getting goodies for the tank in the mail! Kind of like Christmas.

Yeah! Especially when they're all solid upgrades to the tank. It's exactly like christmas! :)

I took some more pics this afternoon, thought I'd share:

1SkTLonh.jpg

Acan and Mushroom.

For some reason, the shroom hasn't split at all after almost a year...Any ideas?

TblkIbrh.jpg

Open Brain

QD7HgyMh.jpg

Side view

qiVf1Tfh.jpg

Tyree Space Monster. I love these, I got about 6 polyps for 20$. LFS didn't know what they had.

v6QoubKh.jpg

The Rock Flower Anemone

What do you guys think?

Lol I just noticed those space monsters and how you got them. Don't you just love shopping around and spotting a beautiful gem listed as "assorted coral frags" or something like that. Picked up 10 heads of utter chaos the other day for $50 listed as "ultra palys". Good times!

Archived