Pod Your Reef

Fish Died!

bcarrillos

2 weeks ago a got a LemonPeel Angel fish from my lfs (Vivid Aquariums). Since then its been healthy and eating great. I would feed it Frozen Brine Shrimp everyday. My tank is almost 3 months old, and I just had 2 fish. A Blue-Green Chromis, and a Lemon Peel Angel. The Lemon Peel Angle was doing great, but today when I was looking at my aquarium I saw that it was behind my LR and it wasnt moving. Its been there for the past 6 hours and he hasnt moved. Did he die? and if he did, what could have caused his death? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all at 0. The only reason why im think he might have died was because I didnt feed him yesterday... My Blue Green-Chromis is doing fine

2 weeks ago a got a LemonPeel Angel fish from my lfs (Vivid Aquariums). Since then its been healthy and eating great. I would feed it Frozen Brine Shrimp everyday. My tank is almost 3 months old, and I just had 2 fish. A Blue-Green Chromis, and a Lemon Peel Angel. The Lemon Peel Angle was doing great, but today when I was looking at my aquarium I saw that it was behind my LR and it wasnt moving. Its been there for the past 6 hours and he hasnt moved. Did he die? and if he did, what could have caused his death? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all at 0. The only reason why im think he might have died was because I didnt feed him yesterday... My Blue Green-Chromis is doing fine

He wont be dead from skipping a day of eating.........if the chromis is fine as of now, I'd guess parasite.

Feed something better than brine shrimp, that wont be good long term. Angelfish can be tricky, you may have done nothing wrong.

Lemon peels eat coral btw.

Take the fish out ASAP unless you like ammonia spikes.

As Tamberav have said, feeding a brine shrimp only diet is not good for the fish. They will not receive the necessary nutrients only from shrimp. You should start feeling flakes / pellets.

That being said, thats probably not the reason your fish died. There are a lot of other factors as well. 3 months for a tank is still pretty young, hardier fish like chromis, damsels and clowns might do fine, but more sensitive fish might struggle with it. Also, as jack1978 have pointed out, the fish might have parasite or was caught using cyanide. But Im leaning more towards parasite.

I wouldnt buy anymore fish at the moment and monitor your tank for a while to see if your other inhabitants behave any differently

He wont be dead from skipping a day of eating.........if the chromis is fine as of now, I'd guess parasite.

How do they get parasites??

Feed something better than brine shrimp, that wont be good long term.

Take the fish out ASAP unless you like ammonia spikes.

As Tamberav have said, feeding a brine shrimp only diet is not good for the fish. They will not receive the necessary nutrients only from shrimp. You should start feeling flakes / pellets.

That being said, thats probably not the reason your fish died. There are a lot of other factors as well. 3 months for a tank is still pretty young, hardier fish like chromis, damsels and clowns might do fine, but more sensitive fish might struggle with it. Also, as jack1978 have pointed out, the fish might have parasite or was caught using cyanide. But Im leaning more towards parasite.

I wouldnt buy anymore fish at the moment and monitor your tank for a while to see if your other inhabitants behave any differently

I already took the fish out.

Okay thanks got letting me know. I also have flakes to feed them, so I will be switching off between both. I wont buy anymore fish for now, although I want to.

How do they get parasites??

They come from the ocean which has parasites, mixed with other fish in tanks who have parasites. If you are unlucky, they wipe all your fish out. :blink:

Like I said though, angelfish can be sensitive and could perish much easier to certain conditions than other fish. I wouldn't call them difficult but they are not beginner fish either. Research all your fish purchases. Each may have its own prefered diet and needs, some may not do well with certain fish, some are aggressive, ect. I don't think it died from brine shrimp but it would have done poorly long term on it.

The diet of the Lemonpeel Angelfish should include Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items. This angelfish requires more algae and seaweed in its diet than most angels.

Note that for Tamberav's list, brine shrimp don't actually count as shrimp. They might be a good snack when you're feeding the spirulina gut-loaded kind, but generally you want to pick something with more nutrition like mysis.

Archived