Coral Vue Hydros

Cheap/small fish recommendations for a nano tank

NaturalViolence

We must be talking about different fish.The sunburst anthia i bought i paid $29.00 and is about 2 inches.Eats mysis and not difficult at all.

You just got it how can you say it's not difficult? What tank do you have it in? That it's eating Mysis is great, and hopefully you're successful but they are generally regarded as a more difficult fish to care for as they often waste away over several months. Reply back in 4 months and see how it's doing?

Anyways, why no clowns? There seems to be a lot of new builds recently that are scratching clowns off the list. Personally I think they make ideal reef fish and demonstrate just about every positive quality that we want and very few negative qualities. So even if you're not excited by the prospect of an Ocellaris/percula there are skunk clowns, clarkii/sebae, and others that would probably be good candidates.

I think the suggestions for the damsels and the bicolor/tailspot blenny. Also like the list dpolt posted. Add to that a strawberry pesudochromis.

You can get a pair of pajama cardinals (usually in the range of $12). Lawnmower blenny helps with algae and perches on rock and doesn't cost too much. And if you do get a six line wrasse, because I've seen that a lot of people have recommended it to you... They can be bullies to other inhabitants in your tank.

because I put it in my 20 g AIO and it eats and swims around and isn't "difficult"??

Thats ONE fish sample, you can't blanket statement every sunburst anthia based on ONE fish. You could have gotten lucky. I'm not going to go tell everyone to buy mandarins for their picos because mine eats pellets. :huh:

Eating does not equal surviving. You can buy a moorish Idol and it will eat a wide variety of foods, swim, and it could be dead a few months later.

They are also $60 to $80 online so unless you are going to send one to someone for $29. I wouldn't expect to find one for that low of price just anywhere.

so because I typed that the sunburst i bought for $29.00 and said it wasnt difficult I made a blanket statement?? I was just talking about the fish I bought.Stop ASSuming.

Not all Anthias are created equal. Some are quiet easy to care for and some are extremely difficult. Some require almost constant tiny feedings while others can easily survive on 2 feedings a day. Some require lots of space while others can be housed in relatively small tanks if housed singly or even in a pair.

Just like not all wrasses are as difficult as a tamarin or a pencil and not all are as easy as a flasher. It seems to me the "anthias police" in this thread are the ones making "blanket statements".

I'm not sure I'd put a Sunburst Anthias in a 20 gallon, but there is a guy here with one in a 12 gallon long.

But I also wouldn't say "anthias need 100+ gallon plus tanks".

so because I typed that the sunburst i bought for $29.00 and said it wasnt difficult I made a blanket statement?? I was just talking about the fish I bought.Stop ASSuming.

You said "i just got a Royal Gramma and a Sunburst Anthia".

Maybe give information like how long you have had it, what size tank it is in, how often you feed it. ect...

Archived