Cultivated Reef

Steves CoraLife 29G BC - Cooling update with pics

EquinsuOcha

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EquinsuOcha

Bought this about 40 days ago it's a rosta zoa and when it was purchased came with the larger polyp in the center now there are 3 extra ones that have popped out. Still really small but I'm happy I have growth. My watermelon Zoas started at 11 now I have 17. GSP has some growth, Xenia has a new branch or whatever they are called started.

6D7D0C26-B8B5-4EB0-A79B-375BDDACABCF_zps

EquinsuOcha

well I was gone for 5 days for a funeral.

ATO was fine about 50% left which is a plus..

Looked in the tank and had DINO bad.... I was a little shocked.

I have started 5ML per day of H2O2

3 days of no lights and tank is covered completely from other light.

I also order DINO X - just in case

hopefully everything pulls through.

on a better note the GSP was looking amazing! haha Xenia seemed ok too.

Reef Octopus 150INT came in for RSR 250

Vectra M1 Came in for RSR 250

150W neotherm heater x 2 came in for RSR 250

Pyle PDBC70 Came in pretty stoked with that.

2 plus splitter for heaters came in

Debating adding a big enough GFO reactor to the BC29 that will work on the RSR 250 too.

EquinsuOcha

Dino X destroyed the Dino in the tank.

All corals lived. GSP and my electric star polyps are a tad stressed.

New Duncan.

65EABD08-94B1-430F-A023-2B90A9A524FE_zps

EquinsuOcha

can't kill xenia. Trust me, I've tried! Glad the dinos didn't win.

My Xenia look pretty decent. The black out plus Dino X must have done something to the tank oddly enough. A few of my zoa grew about 1-5 new heads... Xenia split I had 2 stalks of it now 4. Duncan has 2 new heads. Assuming it's stress related.

• 1 month later...
EquinsuOcha

Update video.

Had some Dino issues, mostly resolved - phosguard, no water changes, no filtration, Dino X dosing, 3 day black out.

New torch coral.

Everything else is the same but pissed because just cleaned the tank.

All fish gone - due to cat and Dino X

Lots of growth! GSP crazy! Star polyps crazy growth new head every few days, and my Zoas I see a new head maybe every week.

EquinsuOcha

1 day after installing GFO reactor... phosphates 0

other nutrients are

ammonia 0

phosphate 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

ph 8.2

temp 80.4

salt 1.024

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good! I would advise caution with the GFO reactor, read of several tank meltdowns that may have been caused by the owners starting to use GFO. Especially since you have softies, they usually need a little 'trates and 'phates to thrive. If you went away for three weeks and everything was fine you probably don't have a problem with the amount your using currently. If you see decreased growth you may want to back it down a bit, just dont yank it all at once. That being said I also use GFO (passively), but have been slowly removing a little more each time I change it to get it out of my system. Following.

EquinsuOcha

Looking good! I would advise caution with the GFO reactor, read of several tank meltdowns that may have been caused by the owners starting to use GFO. Especially since you have softies, they usually need a little 'trates and 'phates to thrive. If you went away for three weeks and everything was fine you probably don't have a problem with the amount your using currently. If you see decreased growth you may want to back it down a bit, just dont yank it all at once. That being said I also use GFO (passively), but have been slowly removing a little more each time I change it to get it out of my system. Following.

Thank you for the compliment and advice! so far I am using 1/2 the BRS recommended dose. Seems to be doing well. as for algae control it does OK, im sure if I used more id have less. now 3 weeks no water changes, and glass not getting cleaned to well the tank looked great again for 3 weeks.

Thank you for the compliment and advice! so far I am using 1/2 the BRS recommended dose. Seems to be doing well. as for algae control it does OK, im sure if I used more id have less. now 3 weeks no water changes, and glass not getting cleaned to well the tank looked great again for 3 weeks.

Yea, I think I have finally found my sweet spot where I have a thin layer of film algae on my rocks and glass for the CUC to eat but no hair algae anywhere. My pod population has also exploded in the rocks where you can see them darting around eating algae like fleas on a stray dog. Think I'll try and maintain this balance as long as my SPS seems to be doing ok. It's hard to decide whether to go with an ultra clean tank or a slightly dirty one that supports all kinds of diverse life.

EquinsuOcha

I have also seen an explosion in population of my pods! Im still trying to figure out the balance, think I'm gunna do half of what I'm doing currently so 1/4 of the total recommended. Simply because everything looks great but my frogspawn doesn't look so hot.

I have also seen an explosion in population of my pods! Im still trying to figure out the balance, think I'm gunna do half of what I'm doing currently so 1/4 of the total recommended. Simply because everything looks great but my frogspawn doesn't look so hot.

Yea i'm down to 3 tablespoons in my 28g but its passive, your reactor is alot more effective. I brought mine down 1/4 of a tablespoon per weekly water change because I was scared of a spike. I'm sure you can find a happy medium.

EquinsuOcha

Update video!

Yea i'm down to 3 tablespoons in my 28g but its passive, your reactor is alot more effective. I brought mine down 1/4 of a tablespoon per weekly water change because I was scared of a spike. I'm sure you can find a happy medium.

I have changed anything since last update, everything seems really happy in the tank! Feeding mysis and reef roids, I started using a pipette.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived